Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Fox & Miles To A's For Prospects
I don't think the 2 mill in payroll flexibility is going to mean to much to us. I'd just as soon have cut Miles and traded Fox for value than trade him with an anchor.
<!--quoteo(post=70739:date=Dec 4 2009, 06:34 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Dec 4 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think the 2 mill in payroll flexibility is going to mean to much to us. I'd just as soon have cut Miles and traded Fox for value than trade him with an anchor.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It is possible that the A's actually wanted Miles. He sucked something fierce last season, but there is a decent chance that he rebounds. I still wanted no part of him, but the A's aren't taking much of a risk on both players. That's not to say that we got optimal value, but I don't think we could have gotten <i>that</i> much more for both players, separately.
<!--quoteo(post=70741:date=Dec 4 2009, 06:14 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 4 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70739:date=Dec 4 2009, 06:34 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Dec 4 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think the 2 mill in payroll flexibility is going to mean to much to us. I'd just as soon have cut Miles and traded Fox for value than trade him with an anchor.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It is possible that the A's actually wanted Miles. He sucked something fierce last season, but there is a decent chance that he rebounds. I still wanted no part of him, but the A's aren't taking much of a risk on both players. That's not to say that we got optimal value, but I don't think we could have gotten <i>that</i> much more for both players, separately.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

considering that they were supposed to be the team that had offered Scutaro more money than the red sox, it's entirely possible
What were you guys expecting to get back for Fox? To me it seems that we got pretty good value for a fringe big league player.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=70746:date=Dec 4 2009, 08:02 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Dec 4 2009, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What were you guys expecting to get back for Fox? To me it seems that we got pretty good value for a fringe big league player.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Frankly, I don't think his market value is at it's peak. I think if he was going to be dealt, he should have been dealt as soon as the wheels fell off last season.

I don't think we could have gotten tons more for him...maybe as part of a deal to get Butler from KC...

I'm dreaming.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I don't think we could have gotten tons more for him...maybe as part of a deal to get Butler from KC...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where exactly would Butler have played? He is even less versatile than Fox was. Butler has only played 1st and DH...last time I checked, we have a everyday 1B and we aren't allowed to use a DH...I am not sure I understand your logic.
<!--quoteo(post=70785:date=Dec 5 2009, 10:26 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 5 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I don't think we could have gotten tons more for him...maybe as part of a deal to get Butler from KC...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where exactly would Butler have played? He is even less versatile than Fox was. Butler has only played 1st and DH...last time I checked, we have a everyday 1B and we aren't allowed to use a DH...I am not sure I understand your logic.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Brain fart...been thinking of Butler as a RF (which he was) but not recently. N/M
Apparently Fox has been designated for assignment, so we can have him back if we want him. Miles was already cut.

Fox cut

I might also add that (although he's old for his league) Spencer is looking decent at AA, and Morla has struck out more than a hitter an inning for Peoria. Gray has been a disappointment, but we may end up getting something out of this deal.

I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=101184:date=Jun 13 2010, 10:04 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jun 13 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Apparently Fox has been designated for assignment, so we can have him back if we want him. Miles was already cut.

Fox cut

I might also add that (although he's old for his league) Spencer is looking decent at AA, and Morla has struck out more than a hitter an inning for Peoria. Gray has been a disappointment, but we may end up getting something out of this deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We don't have room for Fox in the outfield. We don't need him behind the plate and while he's an offensive upgrade at third, he's scary on defense.

Pass.
I've been keeping an eye on Spencer. A September call up would be nice for him. I don't know what he's like defensively, but he's such a big kid. If he can keep his average and OBP up, I'm confident his power could come around. Hell, 9 HRs in 171 ABs this season is pretty good already.
So Fox didnt do the one thing that we thought he could: hit
<!--quoteo(post=101200:date=Jun 14 2010, 07:43 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Jun 14 2010, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So Fox didnt do the one thing that we thought he could: hit<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
His numbers from August on last season were godawful, and he's shown zero power this season. His free-swinging ways were probably a bad fit for the AL anyway, but hey, Beane saw something in him [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] . I'm not that surprised by any of this. I still think there is a possibility that he turns into a decent PH (a Matt Stairs type) at some point, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Good trade or bad?
<!--quoteo(post=101213:date=Jun 14 2010, 08:43 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 14 2010, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good trade or bad?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Too early to say, considering both teams just wanted to trade trash for trash. At least we still have Gray and he still might turn into something.

I say any trade that makes Miles disappear and then reappear on the Tards' roster is a good one.
No big shock where Fox ended up