Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Fox & Miles To A's For Prospects
<!--quoteo(post=70568:date=Dec 3 2009, 05:30 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Dec 3 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Trying to keep my eye on the Miles side of it to get over not getting full value out of Fox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How much value do you think Fox has??
Looks like we got a future 4th OF, a potential bullpen arm for next season, a pitching prospect with some upside, and an additional $2.7m in payroll flexibility.
That was from Tim on NSBB by the way. I have no idea where the link is.
<!--quoteo(post=70572:date=Dec 3 2009, 04:37 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 3 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Looks like we got a future 4th OF, a potential bullpen arm for next season, a pitching prospect with some upside, and an additional $2.7m in payroll flexibility.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So much for the payroll part of that...

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->5:35pm: The other two players in the deal are Ronny Morla and Matt Spencer, tweets Brent S. Gambill of Sirius XM. The Cubs will also give the Athletics cash considerations as part of the deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=70574:date=Dec 3 2009, 05:42 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 3 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70572:date=Dec 3 2009, 04:37 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 3 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Looks like we got a future 4th OF, a potential bullpen arm for next season, a pitching prospect with some upside, and an additional $2.7m in payroll flexibility.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->5:35pm: The other two players in the deal are Ronny Morla and Matt Spencer, tweets Brent S. Gambill of Sirius XM. The Cubs will also give the Athletics cash considerations as part of the deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I read they sent $1mil to Oakland.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=70574:date=Dec 3 2009, 05:42 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 3 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70572:date=Dec 3 2009, 04:37 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 3 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Looks like we got a future 4th OF, a potential bullpen arm for next season, a pitching prospect with some upside, and an additional $2.7m in payroll flexibility.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's $1 M, so they still free up almost $2 M.
Miles sucks and Fox will be a good DH, but he really doesn't help our team all that much. We really didn't trade much and we didn't get much in return. I can't fault Hendry for this trade, but it wouldn't have been necessary if he didn't sign Miles to a retarded deal in the first place. Can we trade Hendry for Beane?
<!--quoteo(post=70571:date=Dec 3 2009, 05:34 PM:name=chitownwinninitall)-->QUOTE (chitownwinninitall @ Dec 3 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70568:date=Dec 3 2009, 05:30 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Dec 3 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Trying to keep my eye on the Miles side of it to get over not getting full value out of Fox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How much value do you think Fox has??

I'm talking market value, not baseball worth. I think we could have dealt Fox for more at one point. We didn't sell him at the top of the market. But like I said...I'm trying focus on the Miles thing. That was always going to require something to sweeten the deal.
Hendry seems to be pretty high on Gray

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Jim Hendry describes Gray as a "power arm," likens to Guzman's. Says he can throw 95-97, will compete for a bullpen spot.

"He's got the stuff to be able to pitch in any area of the bullpen if he just harnesses it a little better."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=70582:date=Dec 3 2009, 07:05 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Dec 3 2009, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hendry seems to be pretty high on Gray

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Jim Hendry describes Gray as a "power arm," likens to Guzman's. Says he can throw 95-97, will compete for a bullpen spot.

"He's got the stuff to be able to pitch in any area of the bullpen if he just harnesses it a little better."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cool. I've never heard of him and know nothing about him. I'm a little curious as to why he's 28 and still being shuffled back and forth from the minors.
Did we trade for a younger Fox?
A's Scout.com
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec--><b>The A's are giving up some of their depth in the deal. Gray was expected to compete for a spot in the A's bullpen next spring after posting a 3.76 ERA in 26.1 innings with Oakland in 2009. He also saved 16 games for Triple-A Sacramento and posted a 1.54 ERA. Gray is a hard-throwing right-hander and a former 32nd round pick out of the 2004 draft.

The A's are also dealing some of their outfield depth by trading Spencer. Acquired in the Joe Blanton deal with Philadelphia in 2008, Spencer had a strong season with High-A Stockton and Double-A Midland, hitting a combined .289/.345/.488 with 19 homers and 91 RBIs. He helped the Midland Rockhounds win the Texas League championship and was also a key member of the 2008 California League champion Stockton Ports. Spencer, an Arizona State alum, can play the corner outfield spots and first base, although his defense isn't as strong as his hitting ability.

Morla led the Northwest League in strike-outs in 2008. The Dominican right-hander posted a 4.86 ERA and walked 24 in 63 innings for the Vancouver Canadians in 2009. He did strike-out 73, however. Morla had 77 strike-outs for Vancouver in 2008. He has good arm strength but is still refining his command and feel for pitching. He won't turn 22 until May 2010.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sounds like Morla is the centerpiece as far as the Cubs are concerned. The other two are possible role players.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=70570:date=Dec 3 2009, 05:32 PM:name=The Dude)-->QUOTE (The Dude @ Dec 3 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70568:date=Dec 3 2009, 05:30 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Dec 3 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Trying to keep my eye on the Miles side of it to get over not getting full value out of Fox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yet another reason Hendry's dumbass multiyear contracts for replacement level players hurt us.

Yeah. Remind me who the other ones on the team are?
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=70595:date=Dec 3 2009, 07:07 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 3 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70570:date=Dec 3 2009, 05:32 PM:name=The Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Dude @ Dec 3 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70568:date=Dec 3 2009, 05:30 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Dec 3 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Trying to keep my eye on the Miles side of it to get over not getting full value out of Fox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yet another reason Hendry's dumbass multiyear contracts for replacement level players hurt us.

Yeah. Remind me who the other ones on the team are?

Grabow?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v