Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pacific
<!--quoteo(post=83000:date=Mar 16 2010, 06:25 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Mar 16 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Gangs of New York is seriously underrated. It was a travesty that DDL didn't win best actor. I loved how Scorsese created a weird parallel world in 19th century New York. It was just a really cool twist to the real world that he placed it in. A lot of people didn't like it, I thought it was great.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I liked it. A year or so before it came out I had been reading all kinds of stuff about the draft riots, The Five Points, Tammany Hall...all kinds of stuff about 19th century New York. All that stuff with the gangs, like something out of A Clockwork Orange or The Warriors is fairly accurate. The biggest groups of thugs were all the volunteer fire brigades. The nativist/Irish stuff really was that vicious.
<!--quoteo(post=83006:date=Mar 16 2010, 06:56 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Mar 16 2010, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83000:date=Mar 16 2010, 06:25 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Mar 16 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Gangs of New York is seriously underrated. It was a travesty that DDL didn't win best actor. I loved how Scorsese created a weird parallel world in 19th century New York. It was just a really cool twist to the real world that he placed it in. A lot of people didn't like it, I thought it was great.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I liked it. A year or so before it came out I had been reading all kinds of stuff about the draft riots, The Five Points, Tammany Hall...all kinds of stuff about 19th century New York. All that stuff with the gangs, like something out of A Clockwork Orange or The Warriors is fairly accurate. The biggest groups of thugs were all the volunteer fire brigades. The nativist/Irish stuff really was that vicious.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
His use of colors and some of the things go on there give the history of it his own special twist...which I think is one of the coolest things about the movie.
Great article in Time.

A couple of women at work couldn't believe what he said and accused him of calling us racists.
<!--quoteo(post=83120:date=Mar 17 2010, 04:09 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Mar 17 2010, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A couple of women at work couldn't believe what he said and accused him of calling us racists.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
"Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as 'yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?"

That?

It's how war is waged.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] That may have been what did it. I did a research paper for History of the Mass Media on how newspapers acted more like a guard dog instead of a watch dog when it came to Japanese or Japanese Americans and the internment of Japanese Americans. I guess I was just taken back when they told me that. I just wondered if they truly had any idea how we treated them.
The article mentions The Naked and the Dead, damn what a great novel. Possibly one of the best war novels ever written.
Just watched the first episode. Its what I expected in a very good Spielberg/Hanks interpretation of world war II.

But so far, Band of Brothers episode 1 was leaps and bounds more superior than The Pacific episode 1 mainly due to the character development. What I liked about BoB is that it sets the characters up - getting to know them, seeing them band together against Sobel etc. Where as in The Pacific, they pretty much go straight to Guadalcanal straight away and you feel no empathy or rapport for the characters.

I really hope they do a bit more of that in future episodes. But otherwise it was quite good.
My grandfather was killed in action, while attacking the beach at Iwo Jima.
I've avoided all the Iwo Jima movies of late, but I think this series sounds like it's worth watching.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Yeah, mine was a Marine at Guam so I'll be interested to see that part of it.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
I thought last night's was pretty good. The big battle scene was pretty incredible.
<!--quoteo(post=84347:date=Mar 24 2010, 02:26 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Mar 24 2010, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought last night's was pretty good. The big battle scene was pretty incredible.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How was Joe Pesci?
<!--quoteo(post=84349:date=Mar 24 2010, 12:27 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Mar 24 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84347:date=Mar 24 2010, 02:26 PM:name=vegascub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vegascub @ Mar 24 2010, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought last night's was pretty good. The big battle scene was pretty incredible.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How was Joe Pesci?

He said "fuck" a lot, and cracked a few skulls with an aluminum bat. He also said "yutes" a few times.
<!--quoteo(post=84350:date=Mar 24 2010, 02:32 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Mar 24 2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84349:date=Mar 24 2010, 12:27 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Mar 24 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84347:date=Mar 24 2010, 02:26 PM:name=vegascub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vegascub @ Mar 24 2010, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought last night's was pretty good. The big battle scene was pretty incredible.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How was Joe Pesci?

He said "fuck" a lot, and cracked a few skulls with an aluminum bat. He also said "yutes" a few times.

Excellent.
I wonder how this series will stack up to The Thin Red Line -- also about the Battle at Guadalcanal.

I thought The Thin Red Line was absolutely amazing and probably my second favorite war movie behind Apocalypse Now.
<!--quoteo(post=84355:date=Mar 24 2010, 12:44 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 24 2010, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wonder how this series will stack up to The Thin Red Line -- also about the Battle at Guadalcanal.

I thought The Thin Red Line was absolutely amazing and probably my second favorite war movie behind Apocalypse Now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could not get into The Thin Red Line. It was a pretty long time ago though, and I only watched it once. Maybe it's time to give it another shot.