Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Prophet
I just watched this the other night, after hearing so many great things about it for months, and I'm glad I did. This has got to be one of the more memorable prison/organized crime dramas made in a several years. I think Gomorrah is probably the movie most comparable to it in terms of how it makes you look at crime from different angles and not just in black and white like so many simplistic American films do. It is about a young French-Arab man serving a 6 year prison sentence who is forced to grow up really fast after being manipulated by (and returning the favor) both the Corsican mob and the Muslim criminal underworld inside and outside of the prison. He never fits in with either group, but he uses his smarts to survive and claim a small stake for himself. This is a 2.5 hr movie, so be warned, and the subtitles are sometimes hard to follow, as are the dozens of names and sub-plots, but it is well worth the investment in time. Parts were very violent, but it never feels gratuitous, just realistic. There is also a spiritual side to this story that is missing from most films of its kind, and is actually very refreshing to see. That said, this is NOT a feel good movie filled with respectable characters or moments of redemption. I'm not even sure that I fully understand the ending as the credits start to roll just as another story starts to develop in the background, but either way, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in this sort of film. 4/5 stars, maybe even 4.5.
<!--quoteo(post=83095:date=Mar 17 2010, 02:44 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 17 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just watched this the other night, after hearing so many great things about it for months, and I'm glad I did. This has got to be one of the more memorable prison/organized crime dramas made in a several years. I think Gomorrah is probably the movie most comparable to it in terms of how it makes you look at crime from different angles and not just in black and white like so many simplistic American films do. It is about a young French-Arab man serving a 6 year prison sentence who is forced to grow up really fast after being manipulated by (and returning the favor) both the Corsican mob and the Muslim criminal underworld inside and outside of the prison. He never fits in with either group, but he uses his smarts to survive and claim a small stake for himself. This is a 2.5 hr movie, so be warned, and the subtitles are sometimes hard to follow, as are the dozens of names and sub-plots, but it is well worth the investment in time. Parts were very violent, but it never feels gratuitous, just realistic. There is also a spiritual side to this story that is missing from most films of its kind, and is actually very refreshing to see. That said, this is NOT a feel good movie filled with respectable characters or moments of redemption. I'm not even sure that I fully understand the ending as the credits start to roll just as another story starts to develop in the background, but either way, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in this sort of film. 4/5 stars, maybe even 4.5.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A buddy of mine who is a huge movie buff just saw this at a theater downtown. Loved it. I guess I'll have to throw it in my queue.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
I absolutely loved this film. Not the all conquering masterpiece I'd heard it was, but still one of my top films from last year (it came out in Europe earlier than you're getting it it seems).