Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The National - High Violet
NY Times Link

Available through April 27, but officially out on May 11. Enjoy...
I love you Rok.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
The stream stopped working after about track 4, and now it disappeared from the page. Wonder what is going on, but I loved what I heard so far.
Herein lies the problem. I did the unthinkable and tried to read the NYT article while listening. The above link has been updated.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->As promised, here’s the free stream the National’s latest release High Violet on the NY Times website. When you go there, you’ll also see a five-page article on the band, which you’ll be tempted to read, because it’s well-written, although since the streaming player doesn’t pop out, if you go to page 2, the music stops. The leftist media battle between NPR and NY Times (the one that probably only exists in my mind) concerning the streaming of new indie rock, all I can say at the moment is that at least with NPR that shit pops out.

And then, as if I asked for it, after making sure whether I was right or wrong about paging thing, going back and forth from page 1 to 2, the music just disappeared? No more player on page 1. What the fuck. I guess you only get so many times on the page? Well, at least you’ve been warned. Listen and then read, or read and then listen. Or you can just listen, and then don’t read at all. Unless there’s another explanation for its disappearance.

Um, enjoy? I’ll just be sitting here in silence.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Halfway through, really loving it so far. They played a few of these songs live last time I saw them.
<!--quoteo(post=92435:date=Apr 23 2010, 04:13 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Apr 23 2010, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Halfway through, really loving it so far. They played a few of these songs live last time I saw them.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, finished it a few hours ago. It really is great from start to finish and can't wait to get a good download of it soon.
Really quite an amazing album. I'm still trying to find a song that isn't at the very least, interesting. There isn't a filler track to be found.

If I have one complaint, and it's a "complaint" that I'm not 100 percent sure is an actual complaint, it's that I am fairly certain that this album is not the one that will help these guys break into the big time. There isn't a true "single" on the album that you can point to and say, "listen to this and I promise you will be hooked". I suppose "Terrible Love" is the closest thing to a poppy song, but it's still a bit moody and dark. The uninitiated aren't going to be swayed by it, unless they give it a few listens.

I also have a feeling the critics are going to be tripping over each other to get in line to praise it. It's that good.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=92997:date=Apr 27 2010, 09:13 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Apr 27 2010, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Really quite an amazing album. I'm still trying to find a song that isn't at the very least, interesting. There isn't a filler track to be found.

If I have one complaint, and it's a "complaint" that I'm not 100 percent sure is an actual complaint, it's that I am fairly certain that this album is not the one that will help these guys break into the big time. There isn't a true "single" on the album that you can point to and say, "listen to this and I promise you will be hooked". I suppose "Terrible Love" is the closest thing to a poppy song, but it's still a bit moody and dark. The uninitiated aren't going to be swayed by it, unless they give it a few listens.

I also have a feeling the critics are going to be tripping over each other to get in line to praise it. It's that good.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
"Conversation 16" is probably the closest to a single in my mind, up until you get to the lines "I was afraid I'd eat your brains, Cause I'm evil." Very catchy tune though otherwise.
<!--quoteo(post=92998:date=Apr 27 2010, 09:21 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 27 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92997:date=Apr 27 2010, 09:13 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Apr 27 2010, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Really quite an amazing album. I'm still trying to find a song that isn't at the very least, interesting. There isn't a filler track to be found.

I also have a feeling the critics are going to be tripping over each other to get in line to praise it. It's that good.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
"Conversation 16" is probably the closest to a single in my mind, up until you get to the lines "I was afraid I'd eat your brains, Cause I'm evil." Very catchy tune though otherwise.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Parts of that song remind me of another song, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

He also says "shitty" during the song.

I suppose "Bloodbuzz, Ohio" could be a single. And I could be wrong altogether. I remember the first time I listened to "The Joshua Tree", and I couldn't figure out what song would be a single. U2 somehow managed.
I like The National, but the singer's voice tends to wear on me a bit if I listen to them for long stretches at a time. Not sure why.
<!--quoteo(post=93014:date=Apr 27 2010, 11:21 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 27 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like The National, but the singer's voice tends to wear on me a bit if I listen to them for long stretches at a time. Not sure why.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hear that a lot, and I understand it to a degree. He doesn't have much range (which he admits in the NYT article), but I still think the range he uses is perfect for the type of music they play.

Of course, I like Geddy Lee, so what do I know.
His voice doesn't bother me, and I actually like it quite a bit and think it is very unique for indie rock, but then again I only listen to The National and similar types of music in moderation. I try to mix it up as much as possible, in keeping with whatever my mood is at the time.
OK...so this is really fucking good so far. Thanks for the link, rok.
I'm madly in love with this album. I don't know the last time I've listened to an album with so little filler. Again, I doubt this is the album that makes them huge stars, but it's practically flawless.

Critics seem to like it, and I just wanted to publish a line from the review that Metacritic has listed as the third LOWEST score for High Violet:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->High Violet is a fine album, a very, very solid effort that contains some marvelous storytelling and near perfect execution. There are no faults to speak of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, this guy liked the album less than pretty much everyone else. Now THAT is a solidly reviewed album.
The new video for Bloodbuzz Ohio is awesome. Funny stuff and well done on an artistic level as well.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yfySK7CLEEg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yfySK7CLEEg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>