Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hanley Ramirez
<!--quoteo(post=97060:date=May 19 2010, 02:41 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97014:date=May 19 2010, 01:42 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ May 19 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96945:date=May 19 2010, 09:25 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96941:date=May 19 2010, 08:19 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96937:date=May 19 2010, 07:47 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ May 19 2010, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Holy fucking shit, I can't believe what I am reading here. I didn't click on this link because I assumed I knew what everyone was going to say, but I finally get around to it this morning and am completely stunned by what I'm reading. It is utterly inconceivable to me that you guys can watch that play, and conclude the MANAGER is the one at fault. Ramirez fucking DOGGED it completely. The fact that the runs might have scored anyway is entirely beside the point. Not only did he dog it, but he was a complete fuckstick when asked about it. I don't care how fucking good a guy is, you DON'T disrespect the manger. And I don't care how fucking good a guy is, the manager HAS to take him out after a play like that. Otherwise he has no credibility.

Ramirez either didn't care, or was too hurt to play. Either way, he had to come out.

For the love of Christ, if Soriano had pulled this shit, you guys would be asking for him to be released. You'd all be blowing Lou for having the balls to call him on it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Life is so much better when I agree with you completely.

And one more thing about Bobby Cox....he pulled Andruw Jones off the field in the middle of an inning and then berated him on the bench in front of the cameras and the world. I have no doubt that that came up with the media after the game.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's exactly what I was referring to, but Cox never turned the moment into a reality TV scandal like Gonzalez did. This is all about covering his ass. There are ways to handle things, and this wasn't the best way to do so. Again, Gonzalez will pay the most for this over his career, not Ramirez.
Cox stopped the game to pull out Jones.
Gonzalez waited until the inning was over, had a discussion in the dugout, then removed him.

What Coach said.
I never argued the he shouldn't have been removed from the game or been chewed out at any point in time during the game. That was the correct thing to do.

Why are people focused on only that part? I only said that how Gonzalez dealt with this in the media after the game was dumb, nothing more.

This is starting to go around in circles now.
<!--quoteo(post=97065:date=May 19 2010, 02:44 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97060:date=May 19 2010, 02:41 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97014:date=May 19 2010, 01:42 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ May 19 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96945:date=May 19 2010, 09:25 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96941:date=May 19 2010, 08:19 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96937:date=May 19 2010, 07:47 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ May 19 2010, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Holy fucking shit, I can't believe what I am reading here. I didn't click on this link because I assumed I knew what everyone was going to say, but I finally get around to it this morning and am completely stunned by what I'm reading. It is utterly inconceivable to me that you guys can watch that play, and conclude the MANAGER is the one at fault. Ramirez fucking DOGGED it completely. The fact that the runs might have scored anyway is entirely beside the point. Not only did he dog it, but he was a complete fuckstick when asked about it. I don't care how fucking good a guy is, you DON'T disrespect the manger. And I don't care how fucking good a guy is, the manager HAS to take him out after a play like that. Otherwise he has no credibility.

Ramirez either didn't care, or was too hurt to play. Either way, he had to come out.

For the love of Christ, if Soriano had pulled this shit, you guys would be asking for him to be released. You'd all be blowing Lou for having the balls to call him on it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And one more thing about Bobby Cox....he pulled Andruw Jones off the field in the middle of an inning and then berated him on the bench in front of the cameras and the world. I have no doubt that that came up with the media after the game.
That's exactly what I was referring to, but Cox never turned the moment into a reality TV scandal like Gonzalez did. This is all about covering his ass. There are ways to handle things, and this wasn't the best way to do so. Again, Gonzalez will pay the most for this over his career, not Ramirez.
Gonzalez waited until the inning was over, had a discussion in the dugout, then removed him.

What Coach said.
I never argued the he shouldn't have been removed from the game or been chewed out at any point in time during the game. That was the correct thing to do.

Why are people focused on only that part? I only said that how Gonzalez dealt with this in the media after the game was dumb, nothing more.

I have a hard time believing that Cox didn't discuss this with the media.
Wang.
SI's Heyman says this isn't the first time Hanley's attitude has come into question
<!--quoteo(post=97080:date=May 19 2010, 03:21 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ May 19 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->SI's Heyman says this isn't the first time Hanley's attitude has come into question<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's kind of what I was thinking with the way this whole thing was playing out.
<!--quoteo(post=97066:date=May 19 2010, 02:45 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97065:date=May 19 2010, 02:44 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97060:date=May 19 2010, 02:41 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97014:date=May 19 2010, 01:42 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ May 19 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96945:date=May 19 2010, 09:25 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96941:date=May 19 2010, 08:19 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96937:date=May 19 2010, 07:47 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ May 19 2010, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Holy fucking shit, I can't believe what I am reading here. I didn't click on this link because I assumed I knew what everyone was going to say, but I finally get around to it this morning and am completely stunned by what I'm reading. It is utterly inconceivable to me that you guys can watch that play, and conclude the MANAGER is the one at fault. Ramirez fucking DOGGED it completely. The fact that the runs might have scored anyway is entirely beside the point. Not only did he dog it, but he was a complete fuckstick when asked about it. I don't care how fucking good a guy is, you DON'T disrespect the manger. And I don't care how fucking good a guy is, the manager HAS to take him out after a play like that. Otherwise he has no credibility.

What Coach said.

Whether Cox did or didn't isn't relevant. Do you endorse *that part* of Gonzalez' actions?
<!--quoteo(post=97084:date=May 19 2010, 03:24 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ May 19 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97080:date=May 19 2010, 03:21 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ May 19 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->SI's Heyman says this isn't the first time Hanley's attitude has come into question<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's kind of what I was thinking with the way this whole thing was playing out.
I would like nothing more than to see the Marlins never recover from this. I so hate that organization.

That said, I don't think anyone believes that Ramirez is a great guy or is trying to defend him as a person. Gonzalez is still a dumbass.
I like the Marlins when they play STL.
I like you guys a lot.
I think Hanley's quote about Fredi never playing in MLB was pretty dumb. For the record, no player of Hanley's ability has <i>ever</i> been a great MLB manager. (although Ted Williams was pretty good with hitters).

Almost all of the great ones were scrappers who had to fight for every inch, not pampered superstars with so much natural ability that they could play at 75% and still dominate.
Earl Weaver never played a day in the majors.

John McGraw was actually a good player, but that was over 100 years ago. And Joe Torre was a <i>damn</i> good player. But they're exceptions.

I'm glad management backed Fredi.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=97202:date=May 19 2010, 08:35 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 19 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Hanley's quote about Fredi never playing in MLB was pretty dumb. For the record, no player of Hanley's ability has <i>ever</i> been a great MLB manager. (although Ted Williams was pretty good with hitters).

Almost all of the great ones were scrappers who had to fight for every inch, not pampered superstars with so much natural ability that they could play at 75% and still dominate.

John McGraw was actually a good player, but that was over 100 years ago. And Joe Torre was a <i>damn</i> good player. But they're exceptions.

I'm glad management backed Fredi.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THIS has always worried me about Ryno as a manager.
<!--quoteo(post=97204:date=May 19 2010, 08:42 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ May 19 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97202:date=May 19 2010, 08:35 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 19 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Hanley's quote about Fredi never playing in MLB was pretty dumb. For the record, no player of Hanley's ability has <i>ever</i> been a great MLB manager. (although Ted Williams was pretty good with hitters).

To be honest, what stood out about Ryno was that he approached the game like a scrapper, even though he was immensely talented. So i don't worry about that aspect.

With Ryno, I do worry about his basic philosophies...<i>really</i> old school, as if the past decade of front-office knowledge had never happened.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=97211:date=May 19 2010, 08:51 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 19 2010, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97204:date=May 19 2010, 08:42 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ May 19 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97202:date=May 19 2010, 08:35 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 19 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Hanley's quote about Fredi never playing in MLB was pretty dumb. For the record, no player of Hanley's ability has <i>ever</i> been a great MLB manager. (although Ted Williams was pretty good with hitters).

To be honest, what stood out about Ryno was that he approached the game like a scrapper, even though he was immensely talented. So i don't worry about that aspect.

With Ryno, I do worry about his basic philosophies...<i>really</i> old school, as if the past decade of front-office knowledge had never happened.

I agree...on both counts. But I've sat thinking about the glaring lack of HOF players that have been successful managers.
The reason I thought and still think Fredi was a dumbass is 1. it was literally less than 5 minutes after an injury 2. Hanley seemed to be clearly limping and 3. Fredi was an asshole about it after the game.

That said, Hanley is clearly a selfish dipshit, the way he handled things and his apparent history shows that. Who knows, maybe there is more going on in that clubhouse than we knew about. I still think in general things are better handled behind doors. It didn't have to turn into the circus it did.
<!--quoteo(post=97219:date=May 19 2010, 09:38 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ May 19 2010, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The reason I thought and still think Fredi was a dumbass is 1. it was literally less than 5 minutes after an injury 2. Hanley seemed to be clearly limping and 3. Fredi was an asshole about it after the game.

That said, Hanley is clearly a selfish dipshit, the way he handled things and his apparent history shows that. Who knows, maybe there is more going on in that clubhouse than we knew about. I still think in general things are better handled behind doors. It didn't have to turn into the circus it did.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
These are my thoughts exactly. And no one is really defending Ramirez. Criticizing the way things were handled after the game is not the same as take his side.
<!--quoteo(post=97087:date=May 19 2010, 03:27 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ May 19 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97066:date=May 19 2010, 02:45 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97065:date=May 19 2010, 02:44 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97060:date=May 19 2010, 02:41 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97014:date=May 19 2010, 01:42 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ May 19 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96945:date=May 19 2010, 09:25 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96941:date=May 19 2010, 08:19 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96937:date=May 19 2010, 07:47 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ May 19 2010, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Holy fucking shit, I can't believe what I am reading here. I didn't click on this link because I assumed I knew what everyone was going to say, but I finally get around to it this morning and am completely stunned by what I'm reading. It is utterly inconceivable to me that you guys can watch that play, and conclude the MANAGER is the one at fault. Ramirez fucking DOGGED it completely. The fact that the runs might have scored anyway is entirely beside the point. Not only did he dog it, but he was a complete fuckstick when asked about it. I don't care how fucking good a guy is, you DON'T disrespect the manger. And I don't care how fucking good a guy is, the manager HAS to take him out after a play like that. Otherwise he has no credibility.

What Coach said.

Whether Cox did or didn't isn't relevant. Do you endorse *that part* of Gonzalez' actions?

If Gonzalez was asked after the game why he pulled Ramirez, and he answered it honestly, then I absolutely, positively, completely and emphatically endorse what Gonzalez said. Totally. Yes. You betcha.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=97230:date=May 19 2010, 10:45 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97087:date=May 19 2010, 03:27 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ May 19 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97066:date=May 19 2010, 02:45 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97065:date=May 19 2010, 02:44 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97060:date=May 19 2010, 02:41 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97014:date=May 19 2010, 01:42 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ May 19 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96945:date=May 19 2010, 09:25 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96941:date=May 19 2010, 08:19 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=96937:date=May 19 2010, 07:47 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ May 19 2010, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Holy fucking shit, I can't believe what I am reading here. I didn't click on this link because I assumed I knew what everyone was going to say, but I finally get around to it this morning and am completely stunned by what I'm reading. It is utterly inconceivable to me that you guys can watch that play, and conclude the MANAGER is the one at fault. Ramirez fucking DOGGED it completely. The fact that the runs might have scored anyway is entirely beside the point. Not only did he dog it, but he was a complete fuckstick when asked about it. I don't care how fucking good a guy is, you DON'T disrespect the manger. And I don't care how fucking good a guy is, the manager HAS to take him out after a play like that. Otherwise he has no credibility.

What Coach said.

If Gonzalez was asked after the game why he pulled Ramirez, and he answered it honestly, then I absolutely, positively, completely and emphatically endorse what Gonzalez said. Totally. Yes. You betcha.

I might too. I have to see an actual quote again now.