Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grabow
I posted this in the game thread, but it deserves its own thread.

Grabow has been in 20 games this season. He's given up at least 1 run in 13 games. So 2-out-of-3 times he comes in, he's given up a run. Of the 7 games he hasn't given up a run, 4 of them he went less than 1 inning and only 4 times has he been in a game where he hasn't given up a walk or a hit.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=97527:date=May 20 2010, 03:08 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ May 20 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I posted this in the game thread, but it deserves its own thread.

Grabow has been in 20 games this season. He's given up at least 1 run in 13 games. So 2-out-of-3 times he comes in, he's given up a run. Of the 7 games he hasn't given up a run, 4 of them he went less than 1 inning and only 4 times has he been in a game where he hasn't given up a walk or a hit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does he have options? I'd rather be looking at absolutely any minor leaguer* show me what he's got.

<i>Edit: * Except Samrdzija</i>
Good thing the market said we had to give him a 2 year deal.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
ruby hasn't had much to say about the Grabow signing lately. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=97542:date=May 20 2010, 03:38 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ May 20 2010, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good thing the market said we had to give him a 2 year deal.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is odd, because as we all know the market is usually PERFECT at evaluating middle relievers. I think we can all agree that there is no easier job for a GM than assembling a bullpen.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
He's a suckfest. STOP PUTTING HIM IN CLOSE GAMES.
Again, you could convince me that bringing him in to start the inning was justifiable, but when he couldn't come close to finding the strike zone for batter after batter, it was time to get someone else warmed up in the pen. I don't care about who was unavailable or not. At some point you have to try to put yourself in the best position to win that game, and no one can convince me that <b>leaving</b> Grabow in there was the best option. Lou managed an awful game today.
<!--quoteo(post=97556:date=May 20 2010, 04:15 PM:name=The Dude)-->QUOTE (The Dude @ May 20 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->ruby hasn't had much to say about the Grabow signing lately. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If he was used the way I wanted him to be used, it wouldn't be an issue. He's not a inning-long reliever and not a multiple inning reliever. He's not a loogy in the literal sense, but he should never face more than 3 batters. The role that Lou seems to think he's fit for is just plain wrong though.
<!--quoteo(post=97562:date=May 20 2010, 03:26 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 20 2010, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97556:date=May 20 2010, 04:15 PM:name=The Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Dude @ May 20 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->ruby hasn't had much to say about the Grabow signing lately. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If he was used the way I wanted him to be used, it wouldn't be an issue. He's not a inning-long reliever and not a multiple inning reliever. He's not a loogy in the literal sense, but he should never face more than 3 batters. The role that Lou seems to think he's fit for is just plain wrong though.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While I agree he isn't being used correctly, this year it wouldn't matter how he was being used. He has absolutely nothing working. He can't throw strikes and when he does its a meatball. He has never been great but he wasn't near this bad last year, so he has to have either completely lost it or something is wrong.
<!--quoteo(post=97561:date=May 20 2010, 04:26 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ May 20 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Again, you could convince me that bringing him in to start the inning was justifiable, but when he couldn't come close to finding the strike zone for batter after batter, it was time to get someone else warmed up in the pen. I don't care about who was unavailable or not. At some point you have to try to put yourself in the best position to win that game, and no one can convince me that <b>leaving</b> Grabow in there was the best option. Lou managed an awful game today.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yup I'll definitely agree with you. Its easy enough to blame him, but this is on Lou as well.
Grabow came into the 9th with 1 out. Stevens got the first out of the inning.

He promptly walked the first 2 men he faced. Would have liked to see Marshall, Z or Leave Stevens in but ...

Whatever, he's freakin' useless.
<!--quoteo(post=97561:date=May 20 2010, 04:26 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ May 20 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Again, you could convince me that bringing him in to start the inning was justifiable, but when he couldn't come close to finding the strike zone for batter after batter, it was time to get someone else warmed up in the pen. I don't care about who was unavailable or not. At some point you have to try to put yourself in the best position to win that game, and no one can convince me that <b>leaving</b> Grabow in there was the best option. Lou managed an awful game today.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have often suspected throughout the last few years that Lou does this on purpose as a way to send a message to Hendry that he needs to make a deal. I wanna believe that Lou feels the same way about Grabow that we do, but by running him out there again and again, he's telling Hendry, "Hey Jim, this guy sucks. Get me a better option."

Or it's entirely possible that Lou has lost it and thinks Grabow is better than he is.
Wang.
Here's another disturbing stat:

72 of the 198 runs the Cubs have allowed have come in the seventh (39) and eighth (33) innings
<!--quoteo(post=97559:date=May 20 2010, 05:17 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ May 20 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97542:date=May 20 2010, 03:38 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ May 20 2010, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good thing the market said we had to give him a 2 year deal.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is odd, because as we all know the market is usually PERFECT at evaluating middle relievers. I think we can all agree that there is no easier job for a GM than assembling a bullpen.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I dont think it took a rocket scientist to realize that deal was crazy.
<!--quoteo(post=97645:date=May 21 2010, 09:57 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ May 21 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Here's another disturbing stat:

72 of the 198 runs the Cubs have allowed have come in the seventh (39) and eighth (33) innings<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Holy shit.