Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Cashner
<!--quoteo(post=97887:date=May 23 2010, 11:51 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ May 23 2010, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97880:date=May 23 2010, 09:15 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ May 23 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97876:date=May 23 2010, 03:18 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 23 2010, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Seems to make sense. It's not like we're ruining him for life as a SP by letting him get his feet wet in middle relief.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's never been my point in regards to keeping Cashner in the minors. My concern is if you shift him to the bullpen at this point in the season, I don't think you can expect him to start next year in the rotation. He'll likely need another full year starting at AAA again or at least half a season. To me, it's not worth pushing back time on a possible dominant starter when you have guys like Stevens and Parker who have been groomed to pitch out of the bullpen.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could understand this argument if this was the 40's and 50's where guys didn't work out all year and didn't do anything baseball related until spring training started. But in this day and age, these guys play winter ball or they work out all year. There is no reason whatsoever to think that Cashner could not be stretched out to be a starter during ST next year. Even if he doesn't do winter ball, he will likely start throwing in December (especially if he has a chance to be in the rotation). That should give him more than enough time to get stretched out.

It has nothing to do with being stretched out and everything to do with learning how to pitch and how to handle the amount of innings a full season of baseball requires. Do you understand that Cashner has only 175 innings as a starter as a professional? Are you that confident that he can throw 200 innings next year?

Like I said, at this point I wouldn't be as disappointed as I would have been a month ago. I would actually be excited as fuck to see the guy pitch a couple times a week. I just see other ways to handle this than rushing a guy to the majors to try and save a 20-24 team as a reliever. Especially when there are other very good options that, for all we, know may be better than Cashner.
<!--quoteo(post=97889:date=May 23 2010, 12:18 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ May 23 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We should trade him and a package of other prospects for Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually do think we should think about putting a package together that includes Jay Jackson and possibly Vitters for Gonzalez. I think Jackson could be a very good pitcher in this league but he is an extreme fly ball hitter. I don't see that working well in Wrigley.
<!--quoteo(post=97892:date=May 23 2010, 12:31 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 23 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97887:date=May 23 2010, 11:51 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ May 23 2010, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97880:date=May 23 2010, 09:15 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ May 23 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97876:date=May 23 2010, 03:18 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 23 2010, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Seems to make sense. It's not like we're ruining him for life as a SP by letting him get his feet wet in middle relief.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's never been my point in regards to keeping Cashner in the minors. My concern is if you shift him to the bullpen at this point in the season, I don't think you can expect him to start next year in the rotation. He'll likely need another full year starting at AAA again or at least half a season. To me, it's not worth pushing back time on a possible dominant starter when you have guys like Stevens and Parker who have been groomed to pitch out of the bullpen.

I could understand this argument if this was the 40's and 50's where guys didn't work out all year and didn't do anything baseball related until spring training started. But in this day and age, these guys play winter ball or they work out all year. There is no reason whatsoever to think that Cashner could not be stretched out to be a starter during ST next year. Even if he doesn't do winter ball, he will likely start throwing in December (especially if he has a chance to be in the rotation). That should give him more than enough time to get stretched out.

It has nothing to do with being stretched out and everything to do with learning how to pitch and how to handle the amount of innings a full season of baseball requires. Do you understand that Cashner has only 175 innings as a starter as a professional? Are you that confident that he can throw 200 innings next year?

Like I said, at this point I wouldn't be as disappointed as I would have been a month ago. I would actually be excited as fuck to see the guy pitch a couple times a week. I just see other ways to handle this than rushing a guy to the majors to try and save a 20-24 team as a reliever. Especially when there are other very good options that, for all we, know may be better than Cashner.

Even if he pitches the entire season in AAA as a starter, do you really expect him to pitch 200 innings next year? How many guys actually throw 200 innings a year anymore?
It would be very difficult to actually pull off a Gonzalez deal, because Lee would have to be moved at the same time, and he's got 10/5 rights.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
We should easily be able to move Lee to 2nd [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=97903:date=May 23 2010, 01:44 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ May 23 2010, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97892:date=May 23 2010, 12:31 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ May 23 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97887:date=May 23 2010, 11:51 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ May 23 2010, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97880:date=May 23 2010, 09:15 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ May 23 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97876:date=May 23 2010, 03:18 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 23 2010, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Seems to make sense. It's not like we're ruining him for life as a SP by letting him get his feet wet in middle relief.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even if he pitches the entire season in AAA as a starter, do you really expect him to pitch 200 innings next year? How many guys actually throw 200 innings a year anymore?

200 innings is just a goal. I'm not saying I'm worried he'll only pitch 190 innings or 180 innings. I guess I should have said "Are you confident that he can make 32 starts without breaking down or losing steam next year?"

And Ace, I was meaning a package to trade for Gonzalez in the offseason.
Given that we are most likely losing Lilly next season and possibly might trade one of our current SPs at some point to make room for Z (or whoever), I'd like to hold onto Cashner to see what he has as a starter in the future. Our SP surplus could quickly turn into a shortage. Anyway, I still wouldn't mind seeing him pitch for us this season though if he can help us in any way, but that isn't my decision, and it sounds as though the organization is going to be patient.