Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Cashner
7 innings, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K in a 1-0 victory in AAA tonight.

19 IP, 3-0, 0.95 ERA, 13 H, 0 HR, 2 BB, 14 K in Iowa.

It's desperation time. He(at least it would appear) makes us better right now in the bullpen. Really, I'd go as far to say as I think he'd immediately be our 3rd best reliever and really upgrade our late innings out of the pen.
@TheBlogfines
Fuck that. Trade Silva, trade Gorzelanny, bring Z back to the rotation, and let Cashner start in the bigs.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=97857:date=May 22 2010, 08:37 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 22 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fuck that. Trade Silva, trade Gorzelanny, bring Z back to the rotation, and let Cashner start in the bigs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Or this. Whatever the case, he needs to be up.
@TheBlogfines
I rather see him brought up and put into the rotation.
<!--quoteo(post=97857:date=May 22 2010, 09:37 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 22 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fuck that. Trade Silva, trade Gorzelanny, bring Z back to the rotation, and let Cashner start in the bigs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
ill take the bullpen help first, at least till one of the starters starts to fuck up...

oh and Z has to be starting already...

and move Gorzelanny to the bullpen and id pay another team to take grabow of the roster...
I am also ready for the Cashner era. And what is wrong with starting him off in the pen, like Z early in his career, and then easing him into the rotation next season? I fail to see the downside. It seems that he's peaked in AAA, so what am I missing?
I know he's a rare talent but Johan Santana had the same treatment when he was brought up.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
Wasn't he drafted as a potential closer? That's what I recall but I might be wrong.
<!--quoteo(post=97866:date=May 22 2010, 10:50 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ May 22 2010, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I am also ready for the Cashner era. And what is wrong with starting him off in the pen, like Z early in his career, and then easing him into the rotation next season? I fail to see the downside. It seems that he's peaked in AAA, so what am I missing?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Once again, it's the fact that he's had very little time to transition back to starting. I still think it would be best to let him keep developing as a starter, but I would be pleased to see him pitching out of the bullpen at this point. He's shown he can be a very effective starter in very limited time, I guess that's good enough for now.
<!--quoteo(post=97866:date=May 22 2010, 10:50 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ May 22 2010, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I am also ready for the Cashner era. And what is wrong with starting him off in the pen, like Z early in his career, and then easing him into the rotation next season? I fail to see the downside. It seems that he's peaked in AAA, so what am I missing?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed. Start him in the 'pen. It's not just Z and Johan Santana...it's been an effective way to introduce rooks to big-league hitters for a long time. The powerful Oriole teams of the 60's and 70's used this method as the <i>only</i> way to break in a rook.

Seems to make sense. It's not like we're ruining him for life as a SP by letting him get his feet wet in middle relief.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=97876:date=May 23 2010, 03:18 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 23 2010, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Seems to make sense. It's not like we're ruining him for life as a SP by letting him get his feet wet in middle relief.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's never been my point in regards to keeping Cashner in the minors. My concern is if you shift him to the bullpen at this point in the season, I don't think you can expect him to start next year in the rotation. He'll likely need another full year starting at AAA again or at least half a season. To me, it's not worth pushing back time on a possible dominant starter when you have guys like Stevens and Parker who have been groomed to pitch out of the bullpen.
He could always get stretched out again during winter ball and then come into ST as a SP. I guess it's hard for me to imagine how facing real ML pitching for a few months out of the pen would be anything but positive for the kid, even if he fails in the short-run. It seems that he has reached a point where MiL hitting poses no real challenge, so we may actually be slowing him down by keeping him down there at this point.
This thread pleases me.
<!--quoteo(post=97880:date=May 23 2010, 09:15 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 23 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97876:date=May 23 2010, 03:18 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 23 2010, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Seems to make sense. It's not like we're ruining him for life as a SP by letting him get his feet wet in middle relief.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's never been my point in regards to keeping Cashner in the minors. My concern is if you shift him to the bullpen at this point in the season, I don't think you can expect him to start next year in the rotation. He'll likely need another full year starting at AAA again or at least half a season. To me, it's not worth pushing back time on a possible dominant starter when you have guys like Stevens and Parker who have been groomed to pitch out of the bullpen.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could understand this argument if this was the 40's and 50's where guys didn't work out all year and didn't do anything baseball related until spring training started. But in this day and age, these guys play winter ball or they work out all year. There is no reason whatsoever to think that Cashner could not be stretched out to be a starter during ST next year. Even if he doesn't do winter ball, he will likely start throwing in December (especially if he has a chance to be in the rotation). That should give him more than enough time to get stretched out.
We should trade him and a package of other prospects for Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell