Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010 Draft
<!--quoteo(post=98400:date=May 26 2010, 10:21 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ May 26 2010, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From another mock draft, this one posted by Fanhouse:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->16. Cubs | Kolbrin Vitek (2B) | Ball State
Vitek may be gone by the time the Cubs pick, either to the Padres or possibly the Rangers, but, in this scenario they would be pleased to have him fall into their laps. They are reportedly in the hunt for a position player, if it's the right guy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Summary :

Vitek loads his hands deep and comes close to barring his lead arm, but he has the bat speed to overcome it (for now, at least), and stays upright through the swing with good hip rotation.

He's got a projectable frame and could add 20 pounds or so by the time he's through, but right now his swing plane is flat and I don't see more than average power down the road unless he makes some significant changes. He's an above-average runner but doesn't have the agility for the infield, making centerfield the optimal destination.

The best-case scenario here has him hitting for average and playing plus defense in center with average power, assuming he doesn't change his swing. However, I am concerned that he has no experience facing quality pitching and may not profile if he has to move to right field.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

scoutspeak
(I know there will be quite a few mock drafts, but I thought we might post a couple big name ones to see what is being discussed)

Here's MLB.com's take:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->16. Chicago Cubs: Asher Wojciechowski, RHP, The Citadel
Last year, it was a college bat. The year before, it was a college arm. That arm, Andrew Cashner, is close to big-league ready. Adding an arm for Wojciechowski could give them another quick-to-the-bigs pitcher.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wojciechowski has shown himself to be one of the hardest-throwing college starters in this year's class, but with the separation that he's also put up good results to go with his two quality pitches.

He'll work at 92-94, but regularly runs it up to 96 or better over the course of a typical start, driving the ball in hard to his glove side but without any tail or sink on the pitch. His breaking ball is a hard slurve at 80-82 mph with good two-plane break and a sharp, late movement away from right-handed hitters. His changeup is a show-me pitch and he'll need to develop one (or a split) to be a starter in the majors.

He's big and strong, already filled out physically, with good arm speed, but his arm tends to start late in his delivery and he does get that back elbow up a little high. The worst-case scenario here is a power reliever, but given the body, velocity, and potential plus breaking ball he has to get the chance to succeed as a starter first.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds alot like Cashner
<!--quoteo(post=98437:date=May 26 2010, 12:38 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ May 26 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->(I know there will be quite a few mock drafts, but I thought we might post a couple big name ones to see what is being discussed)

Here's MLB.com's take:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->16. Chicago Cubs: Asher Wojciechowski, RHP, The Citadel
Last year, it was a college bat. The year before, it was a college arm. That arm, Andrew Cashner, is close to big-league ready. Adding an arm for Wojciechowski could give them another quick-to-the-bigs pitcher.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wojciechowski has shown himself to be one of the hardest-throwing college starters in this year's class, but with the separation that he's also put up good results to go with his two quality pitches.

He'll work at 92-94, but regularly runs it up to 96 or better over the course of a typical start, driving the ball in hard to his glove side but without any tail or sink on the pitch. His breaking ball is a hard slurve at 80-82 mph with good two-plane break and a sharp, late movement away from right-handed hitters. His changeup is a show-me pitch and he'll need to develop one (or a split) to be a starter in the majors.

He's big and strong, already filled out physically, with good arm speed, but his arm tends to start late in his delivery and he does get that back elbow up a little high. The worst-case scenario here is a power reliever, but given the body, velocity, and potential plus breaking ball he has to get the chance to succeed as a starter first.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds alot like Cashner

We already learned how to pronounce Shark's name, so why not this kid?
Please no - I do not want to have to type that name with any kind of regularity.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=98529:date=May 27 2010, 06:59 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 27 2010, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Please no - I do not want to have to type that name with any kind of regularity.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You need an app for keyboard macros.
<!--quoteo(post=98531:date=May 27 2010, 08:18 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ May 27 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98529:date=May 27 2010, 06:59 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 27 2010, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Please no - I do not want to have to type that name with any kind of regularity.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the Cubs draft this kid, that will literally be the thing that forces me to do so.
<!--quoteo(post=98532:date=May 27 2010, 07:25 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 27 2010, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98531:date=May 27 2010, 08:18 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ May 27 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98529:date=May 27 2010, 06:59 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 27 2010, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Please no - I do not want to have to type that name with any kind of regularity.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the Cubs draft this kid, that will literally be the thing that forces me to do so.
I just want the Cubs to draft him so he can slap the court every three or four minutes.
theres a pretty good interview with that Wojchieowski guy on a good site I found on this site here a few weeks ago, www.mlbscouttbuzz.com

here is the link to the interview

http://www.mlbscoutbuzz.com/node/39
<!--quoteo(post=98534:date=May 27 2010, 08:57 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 27 2010, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98532:date=May 27 2010, 07:25 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 27 2010, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98531:date=May 27 2010, 08:18 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ May 27 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98529:date=May 27 2010, 06:59 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 27 2010, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Please no - I do not want to have to type that name with any kind of regularity.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just want the Cubs to draft him so he can slap the court every three or four minutes.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/moon.gif[/img]
Newest Law Mock Draft has the Cubs taking Justin O'Conner

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Tim Wilken loves athletic kids who play multiple sports or who play as both position players and pitchers. The latter describes O'Conner, who has moved behind the plate this year with strong results.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

O'Conner came into his senior year as a top prospect because he was intriguing, but didn't have a clear position or definite projection with the bat. However, since his shift to catching he's established himself as a likely first-round pick.

He has good bat speed and is very balanced and strong through the swing, but doesn't use his lower half much and may not see the power carry over to wood until he addresses that; he can get a little too linear, but I've also seen his back leg collapse when he goes with a more traditional power swing.

He's got a plus arm with a lightning-quick release, not quite effortless but really just too easy for a guy with limited catching experience, and his receiving is solid. The fact that he now plays a premium position makes questions about his bet a little less concerning, and if he does fulfill his offensive potential he could be a star because of where he now plays.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That might not be such a bad pick. We are going to need a catcher sooner rather than later. I don't think Soto sticks around for more than a few seasons, as he's regressing to 2009 form once again.
First Round Pick:

Nationals:

Bryce Harper - C
College of Southern Nevada

Pirates:

Jameson Taillon - RHP
The Woodlands HS, TX
R/R

Orioles:

Manny Machado - SS
Miami Brito HS, SR
R/R