Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIRESALE NOW!!
This team has zero chance of competing for a playoff spot. Start the sale now. Get rid of whoever you can and try and get some young players in here that show some fire. This team is a lost cause. FUCK!!!
Good thing Hendry handed out all those NT clauses. We are stuck with this roster for the most part, I would assume.
Whoever can be moved should be shopped now. Some would say we're overreacting, but the truth is, the Pirates games have demonstrated that this is simply not a competitive team. Time to start shopping players - even if deals aren't there quite yet, it's good to start early.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
This thread is a bit reactionary, but you all are saying essentially the same thing I've said since before the season. This is an old, non-contending team. JH should trade what he can to gain payroll flexibility and prospects for the years to come. Start with Silva whose value is at an all time high. Put Gorz back in the rotation or hand it to Cashner to see what he can do. Trade Lilly, whose actually pitching well and is in the last year of his deal. Trade Theriot for a B level prospect, maybe to the Cruds. Trade Byrd and hand the full time gig to Colvin.
The sun is a bit hot.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
If we did it now that would mean Hendry was orchestrating the sale, and that would be a bad thing.
<!--quoteo(post=99418:date=Jun 1 2010, 09:58 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jun 1 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If we did it now that would mean Hendry was orchestrating the sale, and that would be a bad thing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Very true.
It would be hard to imagine going into sell-mode as long as we are within single digits of the Central or the WC races. I would guess that if we are 9-10 games out by the AS break, then it has a decent chance of happening, but probably still less than 50%. The fact that it is Ricketts' first season as owner complicates things a bit as well.
This would be a fucking dumb knee-jerk reaction. Lou is the only one who can be gotten rid of right now. We just got done playing our best stretch of baseball and are struggling with the one team that has completely owned us this year. We have Houston and Milwaukee left on the road trip, and with 7 games left we still can conceivably come home with 5 wins, I think. We've owned Milwaukee this year just like the Pirates have killed us. If we come home winning 2 games on the road trip, then start shitting.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=99426:date=Jun 1 2010, 10:12 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 1 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This would be a fucking dumb knee-jerk reaction. Lou is the only one who can be gotten rid of right now. We just got done playing our best stretch of baseball and are struggling with the one team that has completely owned us this year. We have Houston and Milwaukee left on the road trip, and with 7 games left we still can conceivably come home with 5 wins, I think. We've owned Milwaukee this year just like the Pirates have killed us. If we come home winning 2 games on the road trip, then start shitting.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You just turned 21, right? Give it 10 more years and you'll come to realize that there is no reason for hope when it comes to the Chicago National League Ballclub.
<!--quoteo(post=99427:date=Jun 1 2010, 07:15 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 1 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=99426:date=Jun 1 2010, 10:12 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 1 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This would be a fucking dumb knee-jerk reaction. Lou is the only one who can be gotten rid of right now. We just got done playing our best stretch of baseball and are struggling with the one team that has completely owned us this year. We have Houston and Milwaukee left on the road trip, and with 7 games left we still can conceivably come home with 5 wins, I think. We've owned Milwaukee this year just like the Pirates have killed us. If we come home winning 2 games on the road trip, then start shitting.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You just turned 21, right? Give it 10 more years and you'll come to realize that there is no reason for hope when it comes to the Chicago National League Ballclub.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Trust me, I hate the way this team is playing just as much as anyone, and I've been negative just like everyone. But selling them all right now? That's pulling the trigger way too soon.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=99429:date=Jun 1 2010, 09:17 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 1 2010, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=99427:date=Jun 1 2010, 07:15 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 1 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=99426:date=Jun 1 2010, 10:12 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 1 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This would be a fucking dumb knee-jerk reaction. Lou is the only one who can be gotten rid of right now. We just got done playing our best stretch of baseball and are struggling with the one team that has completely owned us this year. We have Houston and Milwaukee left on the road trip, and with 7 games left we still can conceivably come home with 5 wins, I think. We've owned Milwaukee this year just like the Pirates have killed us. If we come home winning 2 games on the road trip, then start shitting.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Trust me, I hate the way this team is playing just as much as anyone, and I've been negative just like everyone. But selling them all right now? That's pulling the trigger way too soon.

Really? This team actually played WORSE in May than they did in April. They were 2 games under for both months and their runs per game was down, their BA was down, OBP was down, and ERA was up. This team is getting worse....we had a .319 OBP for the month of May...think about that...the ENTIRE team had an OBP of .319. Start at least laying the groundwork for moves now.
<!--quoteo(post=99435:date=Jun 1 2010, 10:18 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jun 1 2010, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=99429:date=Jun 1 2010, 09:17 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 1 2010, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=99427:date=Jun 1 2010, 07:15 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 1 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=99426:date=Jun 1 2010, 10:12 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 1 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This would be a fucking dumb knee-jerk reaction. Lou is the only one who can be gotten rid of right now. We just got done playing our best stretch of baseball and are struggling with the one team that has completely owned us this year. We have Houston and Milwaukee left on the road trip, and with 7 games left we still can conceivably come home with 5 wins, I think. We've owned Milwaukee this year just like the Pirates have killed us. If we come home winning 2 games on the road trip, then start shitting.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? This team actually played WORSE in May than they did in April. They were 2 games under for both months and their runs per game was down, their BA was down, OBP was down, and ERA was up. This team is getting worse....we had a .319 OBP for the month of May...think about that...the ENTIRE team had an OBP of .319. Start at least laying the groundwork for moves now.

Even if you're dead set on selling off what you can, it's not he right time. The contenders haven't really emerged from the pack quite yet and the marketable players on the team (Lee, Ramirez, Lilly, Gorzelanny, Theriot,) aren't very marketable at this time for various reasons.

I agree it's bleak, but it's just too early. It's similar to a basketball game where the losing team is down by 10 points with a minute left on the clock. Yes, it's likely they are going to lose, but a few things could bounce their way. You just never know.

Also, I really wish people would stop using age as a reason someone can't be optimistic around here. It's condescending.
<!--quoteo(post=99414:date=Jun 1 2010, 08:55 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jun 1 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The sun is a bit hot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
Kid be funny.
Runnys, I feel your pain, certainly. We all do. But even I, who like Coldneck, is a believer that this team needs massive restructuring,...even I don't think we should throw in the towel yet. It's just too early, and our competition in the Central is too soft.

Here are some pretty strong reasons why I'm not in favor of a complete fire sale:

1.We still have a chance. A decent one.
2. Jim Hendry would be the one in charge of restocking the team. Think about that.
3. Guys like Aramis and Theriot are at an all-time low in value.
4. Our farm system is not exactly bursting with guys who can step in.
5. We've lost a slew of 1-run games, which usually means that the talent is there, but the ball isn't bouncing our way.

I often think of the 2003 Marlins...in exactly the same position as we are now, in late May of that year. They smartly shook things up in the time-honored tradition (firing the manager), and then started winning. Lou isn't 100% the cause of our problems (at all), but we need a good shake-up.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Without looking it up I'd say 2003 and 2007 looked pretty similar to this year. But lets throw in the towel because we can't beat one team.

Yes it's a bad team but it's also one we see a ton and that we've dominated. They were due to start winning some against us. We'll end up coming close to .500 against them.