Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIRESALE NOW!!
If you're going to trade anyone, trade Lilly. Try to move Fukudome, as well.
<!--quoteo(post=99488:date=Jun 2 2010, 09:12 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jun 2 2010, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This team can not firesale. Its just not possible, we have too many big and long contracts.

That said, Ace is right, there is no reason why we shouldn't start looking to move some of our guys right now,

Is there still a possibility we could make a wildcard run, yeah I honestly think so, but the chances are fairly low and like Ace said, I don't think the drop offs from replacement guys would even be very noticeable.

In our current situation our most tradable and valuable players are probably Lilly, Lee, Theriot and Fukudome. Everyone else either has too big or long of a contract or is more valuable to us on the team than traded away in my opinion.

Lilly is in the last year of his contract, still pitching well, he would almost certainly fetch some valuable pieces and we have Gorzelanny or Cashner to fill his spot without a very big drop off.

Lee is in the last year of his contract as well which makes him far easier to trade this year than last year. Almost no chance he is back and if we eat most of his contract this year someone is gonna give something solid for him. And again in the last year of his deal, knowing he wont be back he is far more likely to waive his NTC. He can be replaced by Nady with little drop-off.

Theriot, to me, is now a bench player, but he still has 9/10 steals and seems to have a reputation around the league of being a smart scrappy little player (despite that being very false) I think we could easily move him for something useful.

Fukudome also now has only 1 more year left after this year and has shown to be smart, good defensively and have consistent OBPs, again if we eat some contract he should fetch something useful and he can be replaced by Colvin.

All of those moves help us continue to build up for 2013, when I think our next true window opens, while only being a small hit to the chances of us making the playoffs this year.

I think thats the smart and right thing to do.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree with most of this, except I think that we can be competitive even by 2011 or 2012 if we do things the right way. Also, speaking of players with value, Silva would be useful to a lot of teams as well, but we would have to pay a large chunk of his salary.

I expect none of this to actually happen, but it's a nice discussion to have.
We can be competitive soon as you said rok, but I think '13 is probably more realistic, and we probably should start building with that mentality.

But shit, what if Aramis, Soriano, and Soto all kicked ass in the same year for example? What if Zambrano pitched like he's capable of? It's unlikely, but we have a lot of players capable of being much better than they've been over the last couple of years. People thought Soriano might be done and look what he's done this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if we won 70 games in 2011, nor would I be surprised if we won 90 games in 2011. I've never seen such an unpredictable roster like we've seen from this one over the last four years or so.
@TheBlogfines
Yeah I'm not saying we don't have a chance to be a playoff team in 2011 or 2012, but we aren't gonna be able to make a whole lot of changes until 2013, considering all our contracts. It would take a bunch of guys turning things around, which is possible.

If we play things the right way, I think we could have a fantastic team on the field in 2013 once all our contracts (except Soriano) are gone.
<!--quoteo(post=99502:date=Jun 2 2010, 10:18 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 2 2010, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=99477:date=Jun 2 2010, 08:40 AM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Jun 2 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->BT and Rapp ought to form the "last remaining Cubs optimist club". Because, as far as I can tell within this small sample, it's just them.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Scarey. Don't forget Scarey. I don't hold anything against BT. The Cubs pay his salary, he has to say these things.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

quick question Tom. If I blame the players instead of the manager, do I still get paid? I mean, they are the Cubs too, right? I'm not sure what the dividing line is.

Follow up, what do I have to do to get into the cool kids club? I assume if I blame everything on hendry and pinella, that's a start, but do I need to do more? It will be tough for me, because as we all know, there is no one braver or smarter (or rarer) than a message board commenter willing to lay it all on the line and blame management for everything, and I'm just not sure I have the stones to do it.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
I still haven't figured out how Lou is responsible for Theriot, Soto, Lee, and Ramirez not hitting well.
<!--quoteo(post=99546:date=Jun 2 2010, 01:15 PM:name=Gracie)-->QUOTE (Gracie @ Jun 2 2010, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still haven't figured out how Lou is responsible for Theriot, Soto, Lee, and Ramirez not hitting well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No one is blaming him for that.

I just believe it is time for a new direction, and that includes the front office and manager on down. Also, I would prefer a skipper who didn't take his naps in the dugout while the game is on.
<!--quoteo(post=99546:date=Jun 2 2010, 01:15 PM:name=Gracie)-->QUOTE (Gracie @ Jun 2 2010, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still haven't figured out how Lou is responsible for Theriot, Soto, Lee, and Ramirez not hitting well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's not. He's responsible for poor lineup management. Poor in game decisions. Poor player role decisions. The overall lackadasical attitude of the team. The not knowing how well individuals are/aren't performing. The inability to form a complete sentence/thought. The complete misuse of his pitching staff. Etc. Etc.
Rumors that the Angels are looking at Xavier Nady as replacement for Morales. What about Lee?
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=99549:date=Jun 2 2010, 01:37 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 2 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Rumors that the Angels are looking at Xavier Nady as replacement for Morales. What about Lee?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You'd think Lee would waive his NTC to go to Cali. He's from around there, isn't he?
I'd rather lose Lee and try to keep Nady on board as a cheaper option at 1B next season anyway.
I wonder if Colvin could learn to play 1st next year. He needs to be starting, at least against righties.
I'd rather trade the player that nets us the most in return. I don't know which one that would be. Would anyone want to take a chance on Brandon Wood. He was once a top 10 prospect in all of baseball, but has really sucked every chance he's had in the Bigs.
<!--quoteo(post=99557:date=Jun 2 2010, 02:03 PM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ Jun 2 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wonder if Colvin could learn to play 1st next year. He needs to be starting, at least against righties.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I have my doubts as to whether Colvin can keep this up for very long.
I think the Angels are gonna trade for Konerko.