Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Strasburg
<!--quoteo(post=108352:date=Jul 28 2010, 07:42 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 28 2010, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->also, it's possible that he is having the same problems every pitcher goes through, but the Nats are just being as cautious as humanly possible. There might be nothing wrong with him at all.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I understand that. I am just asking the question in general. Like I said, it just blows my mind that guys could throw 250-300 inning routinely and do that their whole careers....but now if a guy gets to 200 innings he is considered a workhorse.
<!--quoteo(post=108353:date=Jul 28 2010, 07:49 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jul 28 2010, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108352:date=Jul 28 2010, 07:42 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 28 2010, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->also, it's possible that he is having the same problems every pitcher goes through, but the Nats are just being as cautious as humanly possible. There might be nothing wrong with him at all.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I understand that. I am just asking the question in general. Like I said, it just blows my mind that guys could throw 250-300 inning routinely and do that their whole careers....but now if a guy gets to 200 innings he is considered a workhorse.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are guys now that could throw 250-300 innings. Probably a large number of guys. No one is going to let them. And as this filters down to the minor leagues and even college ball, fewer guys will be able to do it, because they will have pitch counts and inning limits their whole lives.

And it's not just pitch counts. Bullpen specialization has also contributed to the fact that a workhorse goes 7 innings tops these days.

Pitchers have blown their arms out throughout history. The ones that didn't, pitched 300 innings. The ones that did, were never heard from again.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=108355:date=Jul 28 2010, 07:57 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 28 2010, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108353:date=Jul 28 2010, 07:49 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Jul 28 2010, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108352:date=Jul 28 2010, 07:42 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 28 2010, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->also, it's possible that he is having the same problems every pitcher goes through, but the Nats are just being as cautious as humanly possible. There might be nothing wrong with him at all.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are guys now that could throw 250-300 innings. Probably a large number of guys. No one is going to let them. And as this filters down to the minor leagues and even college ball, fewer guys will be able to do it, because they will have pitch counts and inning limits their whole lives.

And it's not just pitch counts. Bullpen specialization has also contributed to the fact that a workhorse goes 7 innings tops these days.

Pitchers have blown their arms out throughout history. The ones that didn't, pitched 300 innings. The ones that did, were never heard from again.

Exactly...there was no such thing as rehabilitation. When your arm went out...so did you.
Not to mention the 5 man rotation is a fairly new concept as well. In the previous era, starting pitchers would routinely start 40 games, so even if you averaged 6-7 innings per start, you'd easily get to the mid to upper 200 inning range. There might be something to that theory that the more often you pitch, the better conditioned your body would be for a greater work load over the course of a season.
there are a lot of factors. I think a couple others are the fact that there are twice as many teams, thus allowing weaker canidates to be on rosters where in the past they would never be in the pros.

Also, in the past, a kid's first exposure to organized ball was probably high school. Now you have 10 yr olds on traveling teams and they've already been playing for 3-4 years. I think that has to have some affect.

Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
The hitters are better, more informed, more atheltic etc. That is one reason.

Bricklayer you raise an interesting point about these kids being on little league and travel teams so early...what comes with that is competition against the best, and the kids that are pitching are probably, whether instructed or not, learning how to throw sliders and curves and change-ups. Nature of the beast I guess. But it sure as hell isn't good for your body when it is developing like that.

And I think someone like Kerry Wood, his body was probably saying "fuck you" around 15 or 16, and finally his elbow blew to bits when he was 20.

Strasburg is the flithiest pitcher already in the ML...but with filth many times comes injury. I hope the kid is ok because he is real fun to watch and has really ignited interest in baseball all over the country. But I have heard this before...twice...cranky shoulder?? Stiff? Can't get loose? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Dylan McKay is my hero
I'm guessing money also becomes involved. There was no such thing as a guaranteed contract for most of the 300+ IP pitchers. Also, they weren't receiving millions of dollars. So they weren't nearly the investment they are today.
I got nothin'.

Andy
Inflammation for Strasburg. Ah, the memories.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
15 day DL officially...oh yeah the memories are definitely in full form now. I love it...stiffness, soreness, inflammation, not a big deal says the manager...whoops, DL. Where have we heard that a billion times? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Dylan McKay is my hero
I hope it isn't serious. But yeah -- it feels familiar.
<!--quoteo(post=100424:date=Jun 8 2010, 04:51 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jun 8 2010, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100422:date=Jun 8 2010, 05:40 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 8 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yep, 75-90 pitches.

Injuries are going to happen with any pitcher, but <b>there's nothing that really stands out that screams "Tommy John" with him.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When I hear a power pitcher who throws a slurve, I immediately think of Kerry Wood. He never had to deal with injuries in his career. Wood's mechanics were never seen as stellar but Strasburg when mentioned the pitch it immediately raised a concern.

When a young arm mentions a slurve pitch bet on the trip to the DL.
<!--quoteo(post=108778:date=Jul 29 2010, 07:30 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jul 29 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100424:date=Jun 8 2010, 04:51 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jun 8 2010, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100422:date=Jun 8 2010, 05:40 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 8 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yep, 75-90 pitches.

Injuries are going to happen with any pitcher, but <b>there's nothing that really stands out that screams "Tommy John" with him.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When I hear a power pitcher who throws a slurve, I immediately think of Kerry Wood. He never had to deal with injuries in his career. Wood's mechanics were never seen as stellar but Strasburg when mentioned the pitch it immediately raised a concern.

I always figured the split-finger was the pitch of elbow death...
Most of the talking heads said his mechanics were so good he would likely be able to avoid arm troubles. Whoops.
<!--quoteo(post=108781:date=Jul 29 2010, 07:48 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 29 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108778:date=Jul 29 2010, 07:30 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jul 29 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100424:date=Jun 8 2010, 04:51 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jun 8 2010, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100422:date=Jun 8 2010, 05:40 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 8 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yep, 75-90 pitches.

I always figured the split-finger was the pitch of elbow death...

Why? Don't you throw the splitter the same as a fastball, you just have the ball deep in between your index and middle fingers. I could be wrong, but that does not seem like a pitch that would cause elbow troubles.
<!--quoteo(post=108778:date=Jul 29 2010, 08:30 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jul 29 2010, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100424:date=Jun 8 2010, 04:51 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jun 8 2010, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100422:date=Jun 8 2010, 05:40 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 8 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yep, 75-90 pitches.

To me, when an arm says something about a slurve, I think, holy fucking shit! That arm can talk!