Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2010
Any of you guys going to be watching this/paying it any attention whatsoever?

Would be interesting to know how big a deal it is across the pond, as it's bloody huge here. I'm literally quivering with excitement (although I know deep down we'll be going out on penalties in the Quarter Finals as per usual).

Although I love baseball a great deal, Football (I steadfastly refuse to call it 'Soccer', it's just....wrong) is my first love (my team is Luton Town if anybody is interested, they're shit but I love them, perhaps that's my thing for sports teams...), and nothing comes close to a World Cup. The whole of England has gone absolutely mental, and I can assure you there will be sod all work going on in the offices in London over the next month. I for one am off down the pub in a minute to watch the opening ceremony, and will be watching the first game at my desk, before rushing back home and to another pub to watch Uruguay v France tonight (hope the Frenchies get smashed).

With us playing you tomorrow (1:30pm Chi-time?), are any of you going to be watching it? What do you think of Team USA's (another phrase I hate with a passion) chances? Personally I reckon you'll give us a good game (I won't admit it to people here, but I can honestly see you snatching a draw, we always start slowly), and you'll get through the group stages without too much hassle. All things going to plan, that would give you Germany in the 2nd round (you finishing 2nd in the group behind us, and them winning theirs), which, as they are missing their captain Michael Ballack (he plays for Chelsea, and although old is quite good) through injury, you'll have a decent chance against them. I would say 2nd round/Quarters would be as far as you go, but stranger things have happened!

Thoughts? I realise 'Soccer' is way down there on the sporting list, but surely the World Cup is a big deal? Surely?
Soccer is my second favorite sport, but growing up it was the first and only sport that mattered to me until 1984. I will definitely be tuning in as much as I can late at night and on weekends here, and am especially excited about tomorrow's US v England match. Although I still believe the US will continue to get better in the near future, I still don't expect much from them right now. Still, they have the potential to upset a team or two, so as long as that prospect is out there, I am interested. I'm sort of lucky because I get to root for two teams, US and Italy, though I don't anticipate having much to look forward to from either. I honestly have no idea who will win this year, but I am pumped that this is getting started as I need a break from baseball in this miserable town.
<!--quoteo(post=100820:date=Jun 11 2010, 06:26 AM:name=LondonCub)-->QUOTE (LondonCub @ Jun 11 2010, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Any of you guys going to be watching this/paying it any attention whatsoever?

Would be interesting to know how big a deal it is across the pond, as it's bloody huge here. I'm literally quivering with excitement (although I know deep down we'll be going out on penalties in the Quarter Finals as per usual).

Although I love baseball a great deal, Football (I steadfastly refuse to call it 'Soccer', it's just....wrong) is my first love (my team is Luton Town if anybody is interested, they're shit but I love them, perhaps that's my thing for sports teams...), and nothing comes close to a World Cup. The whole of England has gone absolutely mental, and I can assure you there will be sod all work going on in the offices in London over the next month. I for one am off down the pub in a minute to watch the opening ceremony, and will be watching the first game at my desk, before rushing back home and to another pub to watch Uruguay v France tonight (hope the Frenchies get smashed).

With us playing you tomorrow (1:30pm Chi-time?), are any of you going to be watching it? What do you think of Team USA's (another phrase I hate with a passion) chances? Personally I reckon you'll give us a good game (I won't admit it to people here, but I can honestly see you snatching a draw, we always start slowly), and you'll get through the group stages without too much hassle. All things going to plan, that would give you Germany in the 2nd round (you finishing 2nd in the group behind us, and them winning theirs), which, as they are missing their captain Michael Ballack (he plays for Chelsea, and although old is quite good) through injury, you'll have a decent chance against them. I would say 2nd round/Quarters would be as far as you go, but stranger things have happened!

Thoughts? I realise 'Soccer' is way down there on the sporting list, but surely the World Cup is a big deal? Surely?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's a fair amount of us that grew up playing football and we definitely have people here with a rooting interest. I'm planning on getting together with a couple of friends and watching especially for this first match.

The general expectation for the US is pretty much on par with what you're saying. However, I personally was thrilled to know we get a shot at you guys in our first match. If the US surprises England with an early lead, I think there's a good chance we could come out on top. Taking down England right away would be a great boost of confidence for our boys. However, it's going to be a struggle scoring all tourney for us IMO.

Let's just say we aren't going to be hoping for a draw on Saturday.
I played growing up and I'm sure as hell going to be listening/watching it as I do every 4 years. This is by far what I wait for in the sports world. Proud Aston Villa fan so it'll be fun watching Milner and the boys compete against my Yanks. (Though I have to say the vuvuzela is the most annoying thing ever!)
#17 Mark Grace for the HOF

There are a handful of soccer fans on this site. Unfortunately, for one reason or another, most American sports fans go out of their way to show their dislike for soccer. It's really kind of odd. I've never understood the necessity of so many to rip soccer. It's almost as though it's "cool" or "manly" to dislike soccer. Got me.

Anyway, I'll be watching the games. Poor starts for Mexico and France with draws when they were significant favorites. Or maybe France is just showing they truly don't belong.

I'm a fan of Arsenal, so I have quite a few guys to cheer for, though I cannot bring myself to cheer for anyone other than the US and Italy.
I got nothin'.

Andy
Not surprised one bit with South Africa and Uruguay getting results. I've thought for a while now that Group A is toughest. It's not the glitzy "Group of Death" but these are going to be hard fought games in that group. Don't underestimate South Africa. They have a ton of momentum from the fans, and they should have beat Mexico. With France full of ego-ed talent, and a confused manager, there's no need to be a surprised if France flops. It's going to be a group of draws.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
France doesn't impress me. They haven't impressed me for several years now.
Just finished watching both games. I thought South Africa-Mexico was very entertaining. Even though before the game South Africa would have been thrilled with the point, they've got to be a little disappointed they couldn't pull it out with how they played. I definitely agree with Destined, don't sleep on them, I still think they've got a good shot to make it out of the group with the backing they'll have at home. While I wouldn't call it the "toughest", I think it's going to be the most interesting because of how close all 4 teams are.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=100961:date=Jun 11 2010, 04:15 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 11 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not surprised one bit with South Africa and Uruguay getting results. I've thought for a while now that Group A is toughest. It's not the glitzy "Group of Death" but these are going to be hard fought games in that group. Don't underestimate South Africa. They have a ton of momentum from the fans, and they should have beat Mexico. With France full of ego-ed talent, and a confused manager, there's no need to be a surprised if France flops. It's going to be a group of draws.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why would you be surprised? Mexico always has some fire, but are never better than slightly above average and this year's no different. France is mediocre at best this year and Henry has little if anything in the tank while Uruguay always fields a decent team, though never anything exceptionally special. Home field advantage always gives the host team a push so that's no real surprise. I think the entire group is mediocre, though the games will likely be entertaining. Calling Group A the toughest, seems a bit of an exaggeration. If you mean the toughest to predict the advancers, then yes I will agree if only because all the teams are so meh. I don't think anyone in this group is a clear cut favorite in anyone's opinion, maybe France but only for nostalgic reasons. Any of these teams facing one of the powerhouses will quickly get their asses handed to them.

LondonCub, I love football as well, it comes with growing up in a Mexican family that has a lot of Spanish blood. I'm a La Liga/Barca fan....I seem to be in the minority on this site as most of the posters here who watch football follow the EPL. I couldn't wait for today...although I had to work and my power went out from 9am until 11am which resulted in the Mexico/SA game not being recorded. Needless to say, I'm not pleased. I'm more excited about watching these games then the Cubs that's for sure. As far as tomorrows came goes, I'm not an optimist. I think the Three Lions will win 3-0.

Viva Espana.
It's good to know there are people over your way that follow football! My friends I have over Chicago way that I met when I studied at U of I couldn't care less, and I just don't understand why. It's like there's a stigma against football, and I just don't understand why. Almost like some people are scared that a sport might break into the 'Big Three' and so decide to hate it vehemently? I just don't know.

Anyway, onto yesterdays games. I watched the first one at work, and had predicted a 1-1 draw before the match (I got my second prediction wrong, so I can't boast!). England played Mexico a couple of weeks ago in a warm-up and match, and to be honest they out-played us for most of the match, but we won 3-1. While Mexico can play some nice, attractive football, they have no 'bite' when it comes to the final third of the pitch, something England have really improved on in the last couple of years. So it really didn't surprise me that Mexico were pretty much all over the Saffers for the first half, but there was no end product. I think in the end a draw was a fair result, shame South Africa hit the post right at the death, would've been a dream start for them.

The second game was, quite frankly, crap. No real surprise considering the French were involved in it. They shouldn't even be at the World Cup, in their play-off against Ireland, they scored a last minute goal after Thierry Henry had clearly handled the ball to keep it from going out. Add to that the fact that none of their squad get on and their coach is a bloody lunatic, and you get last night's performance. Why you would start with Henry and Malouda on the bench is beyond me, and why you'd take Anelka off when you're looking to win the game is even further beyond me. I expected more from Uruguay, I actually picked them in my work sweep-stake to get out of this group as winners. With Forlan and Suarez up front you would expect goals, but while Forlan showed flashes of what he can do, Suarez was a disappointment.

The group as a whole is looking very exciting though, anybody could get out of it looking at the opening games (Personally I'm hoping for Uruguay and S.A. to go through, and France to finish bottom).

Today's games should be good, South Korea v Greece should be a tight game, fancy South Korea to get out of that group though. Argentina v Nigeria on paper should be a walk-over for the Argies, but Nigeria are notoriously unpredictable and Diego Maradonna, the Argie manager, is a complete nutter so you just don't know what team he's going to put out.

Then obviously the big game is this evening. I'm predicting it to be very close, like I said earlier we always start very slowly at tournaments, and your guys will be up for this, because if you get a result against us you're sorted for the rest of the tournament basically. Whatever happens, both teams should progress from the group, because Slovenia and Algeria are rubbish (comparatively).

Can't wait, really can't wait, I'm on the beers already!
Taking on a new sport, one you didn't grow up with is like learning a new language as an adult. It's hard, the return on investment is unknown and if the initiate isn't part of a community of fans that can share a passion for it, it's a real uphill slog.

To someone with no real appreciation for soccer beyond condensed Pele highlights, here are some of the problems The field is enormous, it looks like the just kick the ball around the middle of field for hours with very little in the way of offensive climaxes. Too much foreplay.

It's like hockey, spread out and slowed down...and even Hockey is a hard sell to most sports fans. Basketball is compact and fast with frequent moments of active offense/defense. Baseball unfolds gradually in a way that allows contemplation of possible outcomes and analysis of performance and outcomes, incrementally and American Football happens one discrete play at a time, the success or failure of which is immediately known.

I don't think most Americans hate soccer. Most of us don't understand it, aren't motivated to understand it and since it's inscrutable to us, it's seen as boring. It's like watching people play kick the can. I have no doubt that a nuanced understanding of the sport makes it exciting and fascinating. This is true of other sports. It's the only possible explanation for the popularity of NASCAR for example (well, that and the tube tops), as well as cricket and professional bicycle stage racing.
<!--quoteo(post=101003:date=Jun 12 2010, 05:15 AM:name=LondonCub)-->QUOTE (LondonCub @ Jun 12 2010, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->they scored a last minute goal after Thierry Henry had clearly handled the ball to keep it from going out.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

One of the highlights I was watching this morning after South Koreas dominating performance was of the France/Uruguay game. It showed Henry complaining about a missed hand ball and the commentator said "He should know a thing or two about hand balls."

I got a pretty good chuckle about it... but then was pissed at the reminder of it all. The Boys in Green are my second team [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
I can't stand listening to those fucking noisemakers. Can TV not do something about that? No wonder americans can't get into this. I'd like to watch, but can't stand what sounds like a million buzzing bees.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=101029:date=Jun 12 2010, 01:50 PM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Jun 12 2010, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can't stand listening to those fucking noisemakers. Can TV not do something about that? No wonder americans can't get into this. I'd like to watch, but can't stand what sounds like a million buzzing bees.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No worse than thunder sticks.

EVERYTHING I can find about these "vuvuzelas" get's the history wrong. I don't care when they first showed up in world soccer, they're plastic stadium horns and they've been around in the U.S. since the 1960s and I probably got my first one at a Ringling Brothers circus at Chicago Stadium in 1969.
<!--quoteo(post=101031:date=Jun 12 2010, 12:15 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 12 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101029:date=Jun 12 2010, 01:50 PM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Jun 12 2010, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can't stand listening to those fucking noisemakers. Can TV not do something about that? No wonder americans can't get into this. I'd like to watch, but can't stand what sounds like a million buzzing bees.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No worse than thunder sticks.

EVERYTHING I can find about these "vuvuzelas" get's the history wrong. I don't care when they first showed up in world soccer, they're plastic stadium horns and they've been around in the U.S. since the 1960s and I probably got my first one at a Ringling Brothers circus at Chicago Stadium in 1969.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Right. The only difference is that in the Western World, few in the stadiums have them and the noise is sparatic, fun and tolerable. In South Africa there's no ryhme or reason to the horns, and they go constantly, while thousands are playing them. It must get boring...
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.