Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2010
So LondonCub are you and your fellow countrymen going to hang Green when he gets back? lol
<!--quoteo(post=100979:date=Jun 11 2010, 03:37 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jun 11 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100961:date=Jun 11 2010, 04:15 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 11 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not surprised one bit with South Africa and Uruguay getting results. I've thought for a while now that Group A is toughest. It's not the glitzy "Group of Death" but these are going to be hard fought games in that group. Don't underestimate South Africa. They have a ton of momentum from the fans, and they should have beat Mexico. With France full of ego-ed talent, and a confused manager, there's no need to be a surprised if France flops. It's going to be a group of draws.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why would you be surprised? Mexico always has some fire, but are never better than slightly above average and this year's no different. France is mediocre at best this year and Henry has little if anything in the tank while Uruguay always fields a decent team, though never anything exceptionally special. Home field advantage always gives the host team a push so that's no real surprise. I think the entire group is mediocre, though the games will likely be entertaining. <b> Calling Group A the toughest, seems a bit of an exaggeration. If you mean the toughest to predict the advancers, then yes I will agree if only because all the teams are so meh. I don't think anyone in this group is a clear cut favorite in anyone's opinion, maybe France but only for nostalgic reasons. Any of these teams facing one of the powerhouses will quickly get their asses handed to them.</b>

LondonCub, I love football as well, it comes with growing up in a Mexican family that has a lot of Spanish blood. I'm a La Liga/Barca fan....I seem to be in the minority on this site as most of the posters here who watch football follow the EPL. I couldn't wait for today...although I had to work and my power went out from 9am until 11am which resulted in the Mexico/SA game not being recorded. Needless to say, I'm not pleased. I'm more excited about watching these games then the Cubs that's for sure. As far as tomorrows came goes, I'm not an optimist. I think the Three Lions will win 3-0.

Viva Espana.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yes, by toughest group, I meant the hardest to get through because the teams are very even, and difficult to predict. Mexico is always notoriously overrated, especially by Mexicans who treat the team like they're Brazil, yet they've never ever progressed beyond the quarterfinals, or "elite eight" so to speak.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=101050:date=Jun 12 2010, 11:46 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jun 12 2010, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So LondonCub are you and your fellow countrymen going to hang Green when he gets back? lol<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Absolutely unbelievable. The pub I was in just went absolutely silent when that happened. I mean, how on earth do you react to that? You don't see that happen down the park, let alone in a World Cup match. But it's typical England at a major tournament, we always find new and inventive ways to fuck it up for ourselves, although I must admit this one was quite impressive.

On the other hand, a draw isn't the worst result, and like I said before, the US aren't too shabby a team; I expect them to be in the 2nd round minimum, if not the last 8. I still think Joe Hart should be our goalkeeper, but our manager is reluctant because he's 'too young'. In my book, if you're good enough, you're old enough.

I feel bad for Green, because he'll always be remembered for that now, and not that good save in the second half. I don't think it would be too much to say his meaningful career may well be over, you don't get away with doing things like that in an England shirt, we're an unforgiving lot (well, the media is unforgiving, and the masses follow the media...).
If Terry can get through his CL Final slip on a title winning PK, and his Bridge-shagging, I think Green might live.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
The Socceroo/German game was pretty sad. I've never liked German national teams...I always root against them. Boo.
Just got done watching my second favorite WC team the Dutch. 2-0 on the Danes. Sneijder is a beast!
#17 Mark Grace for the HOF

Well, Italy is off to its usual slow, shitty start.
And now it's a 1-1 tie. I freaking hate DeRossi BTW.
Italy got lucky. Any corner inside the 6 has to be taken by the keeper.
I got nothin'.

Andy
Hopefully Buffon won't be missed. He hasn't been 100% since being injured a while back anyway.
<!--quoteo(post=100979:date=Jun 11 2010, 06:37 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jun 11 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->LondonCub, I love football as well, it comes with growing up in a Mexican family that has a lot of Spanish blood. I'm a La Liga/Barca fan....I seem to be in the minority on this site as most of the posters here who watch football follow the EPL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I support Barca in La Liga and try to watch Palermo in Serie A when possible. Just not enough hours in the day!

Can't wait for the IC/Portugal game. I want to see how 'The Navigators' look.
#17 Mark Grace for the HOF

For those that might want a recap of the US-England game:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gXo2nm2ODF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gXo2nm2ODF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<!--quoteo(post=101422:date=Jun 15 2010, 08:09 AM:name=CUB5)-->QUOTE (CUB5 @ Jun 15 2010, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100979:date=Jun 11 2010, 06:37 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jun 11 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->LondonCub, I love football as well, it comes with growing up in a Mexican family that has a lot of Spanish blood. I'm a La Liga/Barca fan....I seem to be in the minority on this site as most of the posters here who watch football follow the EPL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I support Barca in La Liga and try to watch Palermo in Serie A when possible. Just not enough hours in the day!

Can't wait for the IC/Portugal game. I want to see how 'The Navigators' look.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So far other than Ronaldo's one strike of beauty, Portugal has been pretty bland.
Gerrard's knee slide's there....too funny.
<!--quoteo(post=101443:date=Jun 15 2010, 03:51 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Jun 15 2010, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->For those that might want a recap of the US-England game:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gXo2nm2ODF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gXo2nm2ODF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is absolutely bloody brilliant, very well done