Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2010
<!--quoteo(post=104461:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:04 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 7 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->"Yes they were overhyped after they thrashed Argentina. People had them in the final before they even got to the pitch after the quarters. They are a good team with good young players..."

Those were my exact words. You had people saying they would be hoisting the trophy before a minute of the semi finals were played. I don't know how much more clear I can be. I've already said before that I think they'll be really good in the near future. They always are. Has Spain played below expectations? Sure...overhyped? I don't think so.

However I will leave with this...Xavi hasn't been Xavi?

"Xavi completed 105 passes, becoming just the eighth player to complete at least 100 passes in a World Cup match since the stat was first tracked in 1966. The midfielder also had seven chances created -- defined as passes from teammates that lead to shots -- on Wednesday, bringing his tournament-leading total to 25. With his performance today, Xavi now has 509 completed passes, becoming the second player to complete 500 passes at a single World Cup. Brazil's Dunga, who completed 589 in 1994, is the other."

That's Xavi being Xavi.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
OK, fair enough. But after the Quarters, in which Spain struggled and barely beat Paraguay, and Germany just dismantled Argentina, who wouldn't think that they were the favourites to win? That doesn't make them over-hyped. It's not like England, who were hyped after cruising through a qualifying group that featured a weak Croatia team, with the British media feeding on Capello's mystique and Rooney's club level rampage. Germany earned every bit of hype going into the semis, and Spain just flat out beat them. In all actuality, I think Germany were the only country to truly peak during the Cup so far, so kudos to Del Bosque for out-coaching Low, exploiting the loss of Muller and taking Bastian Schweinsteiger right out of the game.

Holland has been great, but they have spoiled a million chances to score like Spain. Brazil struggled with North Korea for 45 mins, Portugal for a meaningless game, and self-destructed against the Dutch. Portugal couldn't compete against legit contenders, Italy and England never got going, and say what you will about the US but they had a bevy of chances, and a favorable bracket to go far and yet lost playing without their best player(Essien). In a tournament of perceived mediocrity amongst the giants, only Germany has won on "style points," to quote Kirk Herbstreit. That's why they were penned to win after the Quarters, they showed everyone what their top form was.

As for Xavi, I've watched all of Spain's games, sans the Swiss loss. Xavi is not the same player he was in 2008 during the Euros or 2009 with Barca. He doesn't seem as dominant to me. Sure, that stat proves otherwise, but in terms of the team's heart of creativity, and running the offense, Wesley Sneijder has played a far better role this year, not taking into account his fluke goals.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
I can agree with most of that. Except for the Xavi part [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

I'll concede that he may not be playing at the absolute "pinnacle" of what he can do, but he's certainly not disappointing me. I've said it before and i'll say it again the Germans are going to be very very good in the coming years and it'll be interesting to see how it things play out at Brazil '14.
As a complete aside from this...

I'm hoping it turns out England gets 2018 and the USA gets 2022. I would probably make the trip for 2018 and definitely catch a few for 2022 (even if Chicago isn't among the cities selected).
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=104497:date=Jul 8 2010, 10:52 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 8 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As a complete aside from this...

I'm hoping it turns out England gets 2018 and the USA gets 2022. I would probably make the trip for 2018 and definitely catch a few for 2022 (even if Chicago isn't among the cities selected).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think England's definitely going to get it. If the US gets it in 2022 I can't imagine Chicago being left out.
<!--quoteo(post=104530:date=Jul 8 2010, 11:53 AM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 8 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=104497:date=Jul 8 2010, 10:52 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 8 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As a complete aside from this...

I'm hoping it turns out England gets 2018 and the USA gets 2022. I would probably make the trip for 2018 and definitely catch a few for 2022 (even if Chicago isn't among the cities selected).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think England's definitely going to get it. If the US gets it in 2022 I can't imagine Chicago being left out.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think I'm confusing the Olympic bid, in which Chicago was not included.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=104530:date=Jul 8 2010, 09:53 AM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 8 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=104497:date=Jul 8 2010, 10:52 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 8 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As a complete aside from this...

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Chicago ain't on the list, which is dumb.

I really want this to happen, but I have trouble seeing Blatter allowing both to host back to back. Two English speaking countries, the most powerful, the strongest alliance of world powers and the two biggest supporters of the Premier League, which Blatter hates. That said, both of us offer the biggest revenue. We're the safest countries, with the largest venues.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
US '94 is considered to have been the best run WC and was apparently the most profitable in WC history.