Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hendry's Failures...
Before you begin lining up Hendry's successor, I'd like to ask that you elaborate on Hendry's failures...using information that is absolutely KNOWN TO BE TRUE. Take a pass on speculation for the moment.

What did he do wrong heading into the season? What could he have done to improve the quality of the on-field product, or the results on the scoreboard? Did you know (and say) that this team was doomed going into the season? Did you say the same things during our brief winning streaks this year? Should our core have been blown-up during the off-season?

Can a team have a bad year without poor management? Can you imagine any unseen details which might have hamstrung the front office? What does Jim Hendry do well? Do you hold yourself and others to the same standard you hold him? Does Tony Hayward fall into this camp?

What do you expect from the next GM? Which GMs are superior to Hendry? What do they do that makes them better? Is it possible that you're wrong? Is a critic solely required to be critical, or do good critics find the good, as well? Does a good critic say the same things in good times, as he does in bad? Of the GMs you consider to be good, can you elaborate on their failings? Would their failings be tolerable within the Cubs regime?

I'm really frustrated, too...but, I'm just asking, and I'd really like to know.

Signing John Grabow.

I never thought he would be as bad as he is, but it was absolutely a mistake to take on a financial obligation to an at best mediocre pitcher. I know people will argue his ERA shows differently. First of all, his ERA is mediocre for a late inning reliever. Second, ERA isn't a very telling stat for relief pitchers. If you look at Grabow's WHIP over the years, it has been unappealing. He has put a lot of base runners on over the years and has somehow been lucky enough to get out of some messes. However, if you keep playing with fire you get burned and Grabow has been burned to an extreme this year. If he was a strikeout pitcher, he would be better equipped to get out of those messes, but his strikeout numbers are nothing special.

That's the one mistake I thought Hendry made. I wasn't happy with Silva either, but I understood it was a tough situation with Bradley (which he admittedly put himself in). All together though, I thought this team was built to win and would compete for the division. There are a lot of under performing players. That being said, there needs to be a new GM after this season. While the circumstances weren't ideal, sometimes the guy that has just a little bit of accountability has to take on a large share of that accountability. Change can also be a very refreshing approach.
I agree...Grabow appears to have been a mistake, but I was okay with it at the time.

Was Silva just dumb luck, or a good scouting network?

Good points, Scarey...

Next!
In all due respect, Rapp, the entire post is, IMO, backwards.
You're putting the onus on anti-Hendry people to research a bunch of facts, gather years worth of information, and try to concisely wrap it up in one all-encompassing post.
We've been doing this for years, and the points are painfully obvious.

How about this: Hendry-lovers make a solid, fact-filled essay proving that he's done a splendid job.

<i>That</i> would be an entertaining read.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=101098:date=Jun 13 2010, 01:49 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 13 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In all due respect, Rapp, the entire post is, IMO, backwards.
You're putting the onus on anti-Hendry people to research a bunch of facts, gather years worth of information, and try to concisely wrap it up in one all-encompassing post.
We've been doing this for years, and the points are painfully obvious.

How about this: Hendry-lovers make a solid, fact-filled essay proving that he's done a splendid job.

<i>That</i> would be an entertaining read.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh...I agree, KB...you've been making the case for Hendry's firing for years.

Except that all you've done is provided a subjective platform. I'm asking for hard reasoning. Clearly, from my questions, you know what I believe.
Where we are right now is not simply a question of how well or poorly Hendry did in the one, most recent off season. We're right where everyone knew we'd be, crippled by backloaded contracts for aging veterans with waning abilities. We've also been watching him overpay and offer too many years to replacement level talent year after year.

He's done good things with the farm system. He deserves credit for that.

Silva...I think that was dumb luck.
Can you give me three desired replacement candidates?
<!--quoteo(post=101105:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you give me three desired replacement candidates?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you really think that people know all the qualified candidates in baseball for a GM position? I'll give you one of the top of my head...John Hart (although I don't know how his contract works with the Rangers).
Who do you know of that has the capability to be a GM? It's not like there is a baseball GM social register. New hires are usually assistant GMs, or people within an/other organizations' scouting systems. There are anomalies, but that is usually how it happens. No one here is going to be able to rattle off a replacement. Can you name any candidates?

The GM is supposed to provide a team with the players to win. The team isn't winning. Who do we hold accountable? Who do we hold accountable for the team suckfest? The team? Yes. The coach? Yes. The organization? Yes. The GM? Yes. But there comes a point when you stop holding someones feet to the fire and actually do something about. Whether or not it is a punishment as a result of mistakes, or a simple change in direction there needs to be just that--a change.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
You know what? I really don't even care anymore. I don't care about the current team or it's future. Not until it's worth paying attention to.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=101113:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:30 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Jun 13 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You know what? I really don't even care anymore. I don't care about the current team or it's future. Not until it's worth paying attention to.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This
That's a good choice, Runs...John Hart is an excellent GM. He's doing TV for MLB now.

And, BZ...I guess I'm asking which current/former GMs would be better? I'm not asking anyone to recommend someone else's farm or scouting director. If you've got someone better, and can say why...I'm asking you to do it.

And...I'm hip to the "change is good" thing. And...it might be time. But...which argument is everyone going with...the "change is good", or "Hendry is bad"?

As an alternative...check out the Twins. They've made very few managerial or office changes over the years, with the understanding that they have to take the good years with the bad. Continuity helped build the organization...impetuousness would have derailed it.
<!--quoteo(post=101105:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you give me three desired replacement candidates?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. But I bet you if I owned the Cubs I could.

<!--quoteo(post=101116:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101105:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you give me three desired replacement candidates?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. But I bet you if I owned the Cubs I could.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So...you're telling me you want Hendry fired, but can't name three other GMs that would do a better job?

You're making this too easy.
<!--quoteo(post=101115:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:36 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That's a good choice, Runs...John Hart is an excellent GM. He's doing TV for MLB now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think he is also the special assistant to the GM for the Rangers. I would think he would be near the top of any list if the Cubs do in fact look to make a change.