Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hendry's Failures...
<!--quoteo(post=101117:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101116:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101105:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you give me three desired replacement candidates?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. But I bet you if I owned the Cubs I could.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So...you're telling me you want Hendry fired, but can't name three other GMs that would do a better job?

You're making this too easy.

You said three desired replacement candidates.

The guy that worked on my mower last week was a fucking joke. Are you saying I'm stuck with him till I've identified someone I prefer. I know I'm done with him, without looking in the phone book for his replacement.

Being done with Hendry is not dependent on identifying his replacement. It just requires a sufficient level of dissatisfaction with the job he's doing.

I don't know about you, but I hardly ever spend the better part of a billion dollars on a Major League Franchise without an idea that I can add value to my investment by doing a few things differently. But hey, that's just me.

Or maybe it's Ricketts too. Maybe he has some vision for the franchise that extends beyond Hendry's tenure. I'm ready to see it.
<!--quoteo(post=101120:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:52 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101117:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101116:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101105:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you give me three desired replacement candidates?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So...you're telling me you want Hendry fired, but can't name three other GMs that would do a better job?

The guy that worked on my mower last week was a fucking joke. Are you saying I'm stuck with him till I've identified someone I prefer. I know I'm done with him, without looking in the phone book for his replacement.

Being done with Hendry is not dependent on identifying his replacement. It just requires a sufficient level of dissatisfaction with the job he's doing.

I don't know about you, but I hardly ever spend the better part of a billion dollars on a Major League Franchise without an idea that I can add value to my investment by doing a few things differently. But hey, that's just me.

Or maybe it's Ricketts too. Maybe he has some vision for the franchise that extends beyond Hendry's tenure. I'm ready to see it.

Three names...I'll even spot you some.

Theo Epstein
Brian Cashman
Terry Ryan (Ret.)
Brian Sabean
John Schuerholz (Ret.)

Better or worse?

Why?
<!--quoteo(post=101124:date=Jun 13 2010, 06:11 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101120:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:52 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101117:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101116:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101105:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you give me three desired replacement candidates?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Theo Epstein
Brian Cashman
Terry Ryan (Ret.)
Brian Sabean
John Schuerholz (Ret.)

Better or worse?

Why?
That's not a responsive to what I wrote.
<!--quoteo(post=101126:date=Jun 13 2010, 07:01 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101124:date=Jun 13 2010, 06:11 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101120:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:52 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101117:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101116:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101105:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you give me three desired replacement candidates?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Theo Epstein
Brian Cashman
Terry Ryan (Ret.)
Brian Sabean
John Schuerholz (Ret.)

Better or worse?

Why?
That's not a responsive to what I wrote.

Right...because you've repeatedly dodged my initial question(s). I tried to make it easy on you...now...you live in shame. THREE DAYS!
Life would be <i>different</i> if we all got to dictate the terms of conversations we initiate.

I reject the premise that I have to have answers for those question that satisfy you in order to be of the opinion that Handry's time is up.

The club is broken. It got broken on his watch. I don't think that makes him the obvious choice for fixing it.
<!--quoteo(post=101131:date=Jun 13 2010, 07:25 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Life would be <i>different</i> if we all got to dictate the terms of conversations we initiate.

I reject the premise that I have to have answers for those question that satisfy you in order to be of the opinion that Handry's time is up.

The club is broken. It got broken on his watch. I don't think that makes him the obvious choice for fixing it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then...we're done. Nice talking to you.
<!--quoteo(post=101132:date=Jun 13 2010, 07:26 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101131:date=Jun 13 2010, 07:25 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Life would be <i>different</i> if we all got to dictate the terms of conversations we initiate.

The club is broken. It got broken on his watch. I don't think that makes him the obvious choice for fixing it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then...we're done. Nice talking to you.
See, common ground at last.
<!--quoteo(post=101124:date=Jun 13 2010, 06:11 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101120:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:52 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101117:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101116:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101105:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 13 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you give me three desired replacement candidates?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Theo Epstein
Brian Cashman
Terry Ryan (Ret.)
Brian Sabean
John Schuerholz (Ret.)

Better or worse?

Why?

Epstein: Better...he has taken on the philosophy of on base percentage. He has two WS titles and he uses his teams financial resources wisely.

Cashman: Worse...I believe since he has taken over all he has done is use the deep pockets of the Yankees, I do not actually think he is a "good" GM, but he has the money to sign stars and he usually doesn't sign them to crazy contracts.

Ryan: Better, look at what he was able to do with the small market Twins for all those years...imagine him with the resources of the Cubs...it makes me salivate.

Sabean: Worse...he actually hands out contracts that are worse than the ones the cubs have right now.

Schuerholz: Better...again, look at the results while he was the GM of the Braves. Then again, give him the resources of the Cubs. I know that the Braves signed Maddux and traded for McGriff....but out of his system he produced Glavine, Smoltz (acquired from Tigers, not sure if he did it or not), Lopez, Jones, Justice, Furcal, A. Jones, etc. He knows how to scout the right players.

Hendry is not he worse GM in baseball, but no one can deny that he has really tied the hands of this team with the contracts he has handed out...that is going to be his downfall. Yes, the players aren't producing, but a decline was to eventually be expected and we are now seeing that from a lot of the veterans.
I have no way of proving it, but I've often thought that Hendry hasn't really had a very fair shake as the GM here. In his first few years he was able to operate and did a decent job, but wasn't able to operate on his own long term. As soon as the Tribune decided to sell, I think Hendry was pressured into making whole sale changes while disregarding the long term future of this franchise. It worked beautifully and drove up the price tag on the Cubs in both the sale to Zell and to Ricketts. The Cubs were winning with high priced players, there were sellouts every game, and the value of the franchise was topped out. Ricketts saw the potential from a winning Cub franchise. We knew these days would come though.

Believing this, I think it is unfair to Hendry that he will be shown the door at the end of this season (I'm fairly sure he will be removed). That being said... life isn't fair. Unfortunately for him, he will probably be the fall guy for how the Cubs operated under the waning years of the Trib ownership and the short term Zell ownership. That's how politics work though and there is a degree of politics that comes with running a baseball team.

I think Ricketts has an intelligent approach on how he wants the team to be run and his plan will be executed with or without Hendry here. The team needs a new face to head their operations though.

Interestingly though, I think Hendry should be allowed to make deadline moves though. There's one thing that Hendry has always been credited for and that's his networking. He has a good relationship with most if not all of the other franchises and has shown the ability to get great return in his trades.

I'm hoping the plan will be to sell at the deadline and get a fresh start at the GM and manager positions after the season ends.
<!--quoteo(post=101185:date=Jun 13 2010, 10:15 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 13 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have no way of proving it, but I've often thought that Hendry hasn't really had a very fair shake as the GM here. In his first few years he was able to operate and did a decent job, but wasn't able to operate on his own long term. As soon as the Tribune decided to sell, I think Hendry was pressured into making whole sale changes while disregarding the long term future of this franchise. It worked beautifully and drove up the price tag on the Cubs in both the sale to Zell and to Ricketts. The Cubs were winning with high priced players, there were sellouts every game, and the value of the franchise was topped out. Ricketts saw the potential from a winning Cub franchise. We knew these days would come though.

Believing this, I think it is unfair to Hendry that he will be shown the door at the end of this season (I'm fairly sure he will be removed). That being said... life isn't fair. Unfortunately for him, he will probably be the fall guy for how the Cubs operated under the waning years of the Trib ownership and the short term Zell ownership. That's how politics work though and there is a degree of politics that comes with running a baseball team.

I think Ricketts has an intelligent approach on how he wants the team to be run and his plan will be executed with or without Hendry here. The team needs a new face to head their operations though.

Interestingly though, I think Hendry should be allowed to make deadline moves though. There's one thing that Hendry has always been credited for and that's his networking. He has a good relationship with most if not all of the other franchises and has shown the ability to get great return in his trades.

I'm hoping the plan will be to sell at the deadline and get a fresh start at the GM and manager positions after the season ends.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good analysis.
<!--quoteo(post=101185:date=Jun 13 2010, 11:15 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 13 2010, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have no way of proving it, but I've often thought that Hendry hasn't really had a very fair shake as the GM here. In his first few years he was able to operate and did a decent job, but wasn't able to operate on his own long term. As soon as the Tribune decided to sell, I think Hendry was pressured into making whole sale changes while disregarding the long term future of this franchise. It worked beautifully and drove up the price tag on the Cubs in both the sale to Zell and to Ricketts. The Cubs were winning with high priced players, there were sellouts every game, and the value of the franchise was topped out. Ricketts saw the potential from a winning Cub franchise. We knew these days would come though.

I'm hoping the plan will be to sell at the deadline and get a fresh start at the GM and manager positions after the season ends.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can agree with this.
It's an excellent assumption, Scarey...my only point was that it isn't the basis of the arguments we've heard on here.

If you want to say that "life isn't fair", and "we need a change"...I can live with that. Shit happens, and he's had a good run at a dream job.

On the flip side...I was just looking for people to provide evidence of his incompetence, which has been the argument among those on SOI. I found no takers...

Still...good push on your part.
The more I think about this the more I find myself open to the idea that the downside we're confronted with are due to what Tribune and Zell forced Hendry to do...that he's better than that and we could be letting a good GM go for the sake of change and the need for a fall guy. I'm not saying that I believe this but I'm open to a compelling argument if someone can make one.
Hendry hasn't been given a fair shake?
It's all "unfair?"

He's had the job for almost a decade. He's been blessed with a gigantic budget, consistently one of the biggest budgets in the sport. Just how much more of a learning curve do you want to give the guy? Till 2016? 2020?

I think he's done a decent enough job (compared to someone, like Omar Minaya, the Mets GM). He has some areas of strength. But I think it's fair to say that the franchise is going backwards.

If he was pulling all the right strings, and everyone was constantly saying, "Damn, that was a smart move," yet the Cubs were still losing, sure, I'd give him a lot of rope.
But when he's constantly doing obviously stupid things, and then, to no one's surprise, those moves blow up in his face<i> exactly like most of us predicted</i>, then perhaps it's time to try something new. That's just my opinion, and maybe I'm wrong.
We'll see what Ricketts does.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Here is a rundown of some mistakes I believe Hendry made...

<b>1) He has never acquired a true lead-off hitter.</b> Since 2003, we have struggled to produce timely runs. Sure, we've had some great offensive seasons from Lee, Ramirez and everyone else in between, but we have never had that first inning guy getting on, getting over and getting across the plate. Juan Pierre was an attempt, but he played on a lousy team.

<b>2) He hired Lou Piniella over Joe Girardi.</b> Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I don't care, I think the Piniella hire was pretty bad. Lou has been a good manager in the past, but he's never inspired great successes out of his players. He won a World Series 20 years ago and a lot has changed since then. He won 116 games in a season with the Mariners, but failed to get them into the big show. As far as I'm concerned, his successes are well overblown, and he's overrated. Besides, we went the "big manager" route once with Dusty, and we all saw how that fared. Girardi was someone who wanted to manage the Cubs because he understood what playing in this city meant. He's young and willing to take a challenge, but at the same time he won't deal with the bullshit. Girardi showed that he can manage young talent with no expectations in that season of his with the Marlins, and at the same time he has now shown that he can manager big talent with even bigger expectations by winning it all last year. Sure some of this may be retrospective thought, but Jimbo dropped the ball on this one.

<b>3) Lack of team leaders.</b> After that embarrassment with Stone/Carray and the clubhouse, Hendry should have taken a cue from Emporer Palpatine and wiped them out, all of them. Instead, we severed ties with a few players, but never went down the route of blowing it all up. Lee and Ramirez, I'm looking at you. Look, I think those two are fine ballplayers, and have had nice careers numbers wise, but when it comes to leadership, guts, and clutchness, those two fall well short. This team has needs an everyday player who goes out there and wins fuckin' ball games. Not people who start slow every year, endure huge slumps, and wine when there's clamor for them to move down in the order. This team needs its Jeter, its Manny (I'll take the antics), its Halladay, whoever. Hendry has never looked at the intangibles, the things that don't show up on Baseball Reference when signing a player. Yes this is a numbers game, but the only number that should matter to the Cubs is 11...in the 11 games it takes to win the WS. Guys like Soriano, Bradley and Theriot comes to mind (even though Ryan is in house).

That's all for now.
"Last year, I was sort of a kid and I was a little scared, I ain't scared any more."
Quote:- Hank Aaron