Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inception
I saw it last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. While visually, it was Nolan's most compelling film, I would actually rank it behind all of his other work -- but I have loved all of his movies, so that isn't a slam on Inception at all.

I'm not quite sure I understand your complaint with the ending, Bz.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW?

What's a Godzilla ending?

I'm also not sure I had as big of a problem with the dialogue that you did. Yeah -- the guy yelling, "Paradox" was pretty lame, but I can't think of any other instances. A fair amount of explanation was required for Ellen Page's character, and I thought it was fine. It didn't seem excessively ham-fisted to me.

I thought the side story with Leo and his wife was amazing -- and probably the best part of the movie. And once they enter the guy's dream on the airplane, it was a pure rollercoaster ride. But it was still interspersed with Leo and his wife and the nature of memory and subconscious -- so it wasn't *just* an action movie at that point.

4.25 out of 5 stars for me.
Bz have you seen the original film on which Vanilla Sky was based, "Open Your Eyes" (Abre Los Ojos)? Although I love both films, and they are largely the same, you may want to check it out.
<!--quoteo(post=108852:date=Jul 30 2010, 09:20 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 30 2010, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Bz have you seen the original film on which Vanilla Sky was based, "Open Your Eyes" (Abre Los Ojos)? Although I love both films, and they are largely the same, you may want to check it out.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
i own both and love them too. it's been a while ( i watched vanilla sky a bunch of days in a row after i first saw it) but i remember the story being close between them but vanilla sky was very americanised, and for once i loved it. i loved the soundtrack as they used not only some of my favorite artists but also crowe picked my favorite songs in some cases. the biggness and brightness i usually hate in american remakes made vanilla sky really cool. i also saw it before abre los ojos, and while i probably would have liked it if i saw them in the reverse order, having been such a huge fan of vanilla sky added to my enjoyment of the original.
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
<!--quoteo(post=108893:date=Jul 30 2010, 01:31 PM:name=liner)-->QUOTE (liner @ Jul 30 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108852:date=Jul 30 2010, 09:20 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 30 2010, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Bz have you seen the original film on which Vanilla Sky was based, "Open Your Eyes" (Abre Los Ojos)? Although I love both films, and they are largely the same, you may want to check it out.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
i own both and love them too. it's been a while ( i watched vanilla sky a bunch of days in a row after i first saw it) but i remember the story being close between them but vanilla sky was very americanised, and for once i loved it. i loved the soundtrack as they used not only some of my favorite artists but also crowe picked my favorite songs in some cases. the biggness and brightness i usually hate in american remakes made vanilla sky really cool. i also saw it before abre los ojos, and while i probably would have liked it if i saw them in the reverse order, having been such a huge fan of vanilla sky added to my enjoyment of the original.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep, pretty much the same for me as well. I hadn't really started watching foreign film back when Vanilla Sky first came out, but I always loved Crowe, so when I found out that it was a remake, I couldn't find the original fast enough. I'm glad I did, and it was one of the first films that (no pun intended) opened my eyes to a whole other world of movies overseas.
<!--quoteo(post=108848:date=Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I saw it last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. While visually, it was Nolan's most compelling film, I would actually rank it behind all of his other work -- but I have loved all of his movies, so that isn't a slam on Inception at all.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW?

I'm also not sure I had as big of a problem with the dialogue that you did. Yeah -- the guy yelling, "Paradox" was pretty lame, but I can't think of any other instances. A fair amount of explanation was required for Ellen Page's character, and I thought it was fine. It didn't seem excessively ham-fisted to me.

I thought the side story with Leo and his wife was amazing -- and probably the best part of the movie. And once they enter the guy's dream on the airplane, it was a pure rollercoaster ride. But it was still interspersed with Leo and his wife and the nature of memory and subconscious -- so it wasn't *just* an action movie at that point.

4.25 out of 5 stars for me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At the end of a Godzilla movie, he is killed and the movie ends with "THE END...?" It's corny. That's how this movie ended. Spoilers: Is he dreaming? Will the top stop spinning? Wow that's CRAZY! Not so much.

Look, I liked the movie, but it was this cerebral masterpiece that everyone has said it would be. It's not even close. But it is entertaining.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=108914:date=Jul 30 2010, 02:46 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Jul 30 2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108848:date=Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I saw it last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. While visually, it was Nolan's most compelling film, I would actually rank it behind all of his other work -- but I have loved all of his movies, so that isn't a slam on Inception at all.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW?

At the end of a Godzilla movie, he is killed and the movie ends with "THE END...?" It's corny. That's how this movie ended. Spoilers: Is he dreaming? Will the top stop spinning? Wow that's CRAZY! Not so much.

Look, I liked the movie, but it was this cerebral masterpiece that everyone has said it would be. It's not even close. But it is entertaining.

SPOILERS

I don't think there's any ambiguity about the ending.

The top isn't going to stop spinning. That seemed pretty clear to me. He spun it, walked away, talked to Alfred Pennyworth, went outside to see his kids, *then* the camera cuts back to the top -- and it's still completely upright. Seems like enough time passed that the top would have stopped, but it's still going full-force. He's still in the dream. The fact that his kids were the same age/size as they were in his previous dreams/memories seems to cement this. When he talked to them on the phone, the girl's voice sounded older. In his memories (and at the end), she's still a toddler.

The movie isn't a big mindbender or anything that's going to blow anyone away. But there is a cerebral aspect to it. And it's entertaining as hell.
OK. I just talked to a friend of mine who I thought for sure would agree with me about the ending...and he didn't. Maybe it isn't as unambiguous as I thought it was...
Remember the end of "Total Recall"? Did he save Mars and get the girl, or was that his recall?

Yeah. It's kinda like that.
Wang.
i liked that it was open ended. ending on a gimmick? kinda, but as has been said , it's not really rocket science all along so the "gimmick" ending didn't really ruin it for me. i saw it as nolan doing a movie which was intellectual enough for the masses, and not just hard core movie buffs. he made a big budget movie which could've been a total mindfuck that keeps people guessing and makes them work through the movie (which i love when done right) but i think that in order to get the big budget (and cast?) he had to make it appeal to joe sixpack. not saying that's a good thing, but i also think he knows he did this and unlike someone else, didn't release "the happening" thinking he's hitchcock for the modern age. i'm guessing he wanted to make a multiplex draw that was clever. nolan almost certainly could have made a low budget version of this (with less effects probably and maybe a lesser cast), dealing with the same plot and themes, and made it much less accessible to the mainstream and though it may run the risk of being pretentious, i bet we'd like it a lot more. i really liked it for what it was, though.
<!--quoteo(post=107564:date=Jul 23 2010, 03:12 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 23 2010, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107563:date=Jul 23 2010, 02:06 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Jul 23 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107548:date=Jul 23 2010, 01:41 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 23 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107544:date=Jul 23 2010, 01:33 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Jul 23 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->SPOILERS:

I hate when I watch a movie and the dialogue is kind of like just reciting a plot summary to me. That was my biggest concern with this movie. It underestimated the intelligence of the viewer. I didn't need the kid from 3rd Rock From the Sun saying, "Paradox!" when he tricked the projection into obviously falling for a paradox. Also, the music was kind of obnoxious. It forced the suspense. The action took over the story which moved the movie from an interesting query into the human subconscious and dream states to, essentially, Die Hard.

Inception = (Minority Report) + (Matrix 3 - Matrix 1) + Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind + (Live Free or Die Hard - Die Hard) < Mullholland Drive

2.5 Stars<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is that out of 4 or 5 stars?

out of 4 stars
Ok, that isn't so bad then. The fact that you included Mulholland Drive, one of my top 5 all-time favorites, in your comparison has me a little intrigued. I still plan to see Inception soon, though I'm not expecting to be blown away.

One of these days, we'll have to start a thread on the top mind-bending/bizarro films of all time.

YES! I live up to rok's standards! Mulholland Drive is one of my top 5, too!!!
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=108848:date=Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I saw it last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. While visually, it was Nolan's most compelling film, I would actually rank it behind all of his other work -- but I have loved all of his movies, so that isn't a slam on Inception at all.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW?

You rank it behind the Batman movies? I find them enjoyable, but in my opinion they are the Nolan flicks with the least amount of substance.
<!--quoteo(post=109012:date=Jul 31 2010, 11:20 AM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 31 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108848:date=Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I saw it last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. While visually, it was Nolan's most compelling film, I would actually rank it behind all of his other work -- but I have loved all of his movies, so that isn't a slam on Inception at all.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW?

You rank it behind the Batman movies? I find them enjoyable, but in my opinion they are the Nolan flicks with the least amount of substance.
They're all pretty bunched up together. Inception might top the Batmans...I'm not 100% sure yet.
<!--quoteo(post=109021:date=Jul 31 2010, 01:00 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 31 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109012:date=Jul 31 2010, 11:20 AM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 31 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108848:date=Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I saw it last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. While visually, it was Nolan's most compelling film, I would actually rank it behind all of his other work -- but I have loved all of his movies, so that isn't a slam on Inception at all.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW?

They're all pretty bunched up together. Inception might top the Batmans...I'm not 100% sure yet.

For me, it tops Begins. I'm still smitten with TDK, though.

My favorite Nolan film is probably The Prestige, and is, IMO, his best all-around film to date.

I'd probably rank them:

Prestige
TDK
Inception
Begins
Memento

(Never seen Insomnia or Following.)
TDK
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

I'd rank them:

Memento
The Dark Knight
Prestige
Batman Begins
Following

I haven't seen Insomnia (I have seen the original though which was pretty solid) or Inception yet, but will soon.
memento
the prestige
the dark knight
following
batman begins
inception
insomnia