Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This should get KB aroused
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagocubs/post/_...l-side-for-hire
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Before leaving for the jungles of Africa, Tom Ricketts made his first move in the baseball operations department, hiring Ari Kaplan, 40, for the position of statistical analyst manager. Kaplan is a talented numbers cruncher who also has had an abundance of practical scouting experience. He’s worked with 21 major-league teams. The Chicago native blends the concept of physical scouting and statistical data into programs he’s developed for MLB teams for over the past 20 years.

The hiring of Kaplan is significant in the sense that Tom Ricketts is now beginning to hire baseball personnel after concentrating on the business/marketing side of the franchise during the first eight months he’s owned the team. Ricketts informed the baseball operations department of the hiring three weeks ago.

Kaplan’s hiring should not impede or affect the status of Chuck Wasserstrom, who is the manager of baseball information for the Cubs and is in charge of Internet information and has been breaking down numbers since the early 1990s. Wasserstrom is highly respected in baseball circles.

<b>The Cubs’ front office has been one of the smallest in the game since October, 1994, when Andy MacPhail took over as team president. MacPhail brought his business plan from the Minnesota Twins, after leading the Twins to two world championships.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought this was going to be about unshaven bush.
<!--quoteo(post=101709:date=Jun 16 2010, 01:00 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 16 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought this was going to be about unshaven bush.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Randy Bush shaves.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=101725:date=Jun 16 2010, 03:43 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 16 2010, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101709:date=Jun 16 2010, 01:00 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 16 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought this was going to be about unshaven bush.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Barbara Bush shaves.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fixed
The addition of the stat guru pleases me immensely. After this news I will be surprised if JH is on board after this season.
Well, this answers my critics, who for the past 5-6 years have been saying, "How the hell do you <i>know</i> that Hendry doesn't have a vast statistical department? You're just talking out of your ass!"

And it's quite telling that <i>Ricketts</i> had to be the guy to finally force this idea on the front office, not Jimbo.

Awesome move, 8-9 years too late.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=101758:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well, this answers my critics, who for the past 5-6 years have been saying, "How the hell do you <i>know</i> that Hendry doesn't have a vast statistical department? You're just talking out of your ass!"

And it's quite telling that <i>Ricketts</i> had to be the guy to finally force this idea on the front office, not Jimbo.

Awesome move, 8-9 years too late.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Never too late.
<!--quoteo(post=101761:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101758:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well, this answers my critics, who for the past 5-6 years have been saying, "How the hell do you <i>know</i> that Hendry doesn't have a vast statistical department? You're just talking out of your ass!"
Never too late.
True. And Ricketts just <i>got</i> here. I have this weird, pleasant feeling that we're going to be pleased with the direction the team takes in the next few years, because of Ricketts being in charge.

It should be noted, however, that just because the Cubs have a fellow in their employ who's cognizant of baseball analysis, doesn't mean that Jim and his boys will <i>listen</i> to him.

For example, Bill James was hired by numerous teams before the Red Sox, but has said that whenever he would bring up innovative ideas, guys like Don Zimmer would condescendingly say "Who the fuck <i>is</i> this fat, bearded asshole? Did he ever play the game?" And James was completely ignored.

James often says that the Red Sox were the first team he ever worked for that actually <i>employed</i> his ideas. A championship soon followed. Then another.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=101763:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:27 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101761:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101758:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well, this answers my critics, who for the past 5-6 years have been saying, "How the hell do you <i>know</i> that Hendry doesn't have a vast statistical department? You're just talking out of your ass!"
Never too late.
True. And Ricketts just <i>got</i> here. I have this weird, pleasant feeling that we're going to be pleased with the direction the team takes in the next few years, because of Ricketts being in charge.

It should be noted, however, that just because the Cubs have a fellow in their employ who's cognizant of baseball analysis, doesn't mean that Jim and his boys will <i>listen</i> to him.

For example, Bill James was hired by numerous teams before the Red Sox, but has said that whenever he would bring up innovative ideas, guys like Don Zimmer would condescendingly say "Who the fuck <i>is</i> this fat, bearded asshole? Did he ever play the game?" And James was completely ignored.

James often says that the Red Sox were the first team he ever worked for that actually <i>employed</i> his ideas. A championship soon followed. Then another.
James also says that there's no statistically significant proof that a 4 man rotation has any negative effect on starters. Nobody has the balls to try it tho.
<!--quoteo(post=101763:date=Jun 16 2010, 05:27 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101761:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101758:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well, this answers my critics, who for the past 5-6 years have been saying, "How the hell do you <i>know</i> that Hendry doesn't have a vast statistical department? You're just talking out of your ass!"
Never too late.

So, I guess the question is where do I order my Cubs 2011 WS Championship hat?
<!--quoteo(post=101772:date=Jun 16 2010, 05:29 PM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ Jun 16 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101763:date=Jun 16 2010, 05:27 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101761:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101758:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well, this answers my critics, who for the past 5-6 years have been saying, "How the hell do you <i>know</i> that Hendry doesn't have a vast statistical department? You're just talking out of your ass!"
Never too late.

It should be noted, however, that <b>just because the Cubs have a fellow in their employ who's cognizant of baseball analysis, doesn't mean that Jim and his boys will <i>listen</i> to him.</b>

I bolded the part that answers your question.
<!--quoteo(post=101776:date=Jun 16 2010, 06:37 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101772:date=Jun 16 2010, 05:29 PM:name=Dirk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dirk @ Jun 16 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101763:date=Jun 16 2010, 05:27 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101761:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 16 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101758:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well, this answers my critics, who for the past 5-6 years have been saying, "How the hell do you <i>know</i> that Hendry doesn't have a vast statistical department? You're just talking out of your ass!"
Never too late.

It should be noted, however, that <b>just because the Cubs have a fellow in their employ who's cognizant of baseball analysis, doesn't mean that Jim and his boys will <i>listen</i> to him.</b>

I bolded the part that answers your question.
How do you know Theo Epstein listened to his stat wonk when they won the championships?
Because Theo Epstein has repeatedly<i> said</i> he's followed Bill James ideas and plans?
Because it was Theo's idea to hire James in the first place?
Because Red Sox owner John Henry has repeatedly cited James's books and ideas as the bedrock philosophy that the entire organization is run by?
Because "Moneyball" itself was as much a book about Bill James as it was about Billy Beane? And that the Red Sox offered Theo's GM position originally to Beane ($12 M contract), which Beane turned down, and so Henry looked for a Beane-type, Bill James-lovin' replacement, and settled on Theo?

It's true that none of these facts <i>prove</i> anything. In fact, Theo might have hired James, and then as soon as James suggested something, Theo might have bellowed "Fuck off, pussy! I'm in charge here now, and I'm pulling a fuckin' 180!"

It's possible.

(btw, I just reread this, and I sound like an insufferable dickhead. Sorry, Dirk.)
Simply based on what I've seen from Ricketts already and based on what his philosophy for this organization already is, I find it hard to believe he's going allow them to simply ignore the number/stat analysis aspect of the modern game. He's publicly stated that he's a believer in the Red Sox model. Seems like its going to be "get on board or find somewhere else to work".
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->“I was joking around before: Look at all those stats we knew that Silva had,” Hendry said of pitcher Carlos Silva, who was 1-3 with an 8.60 ERA with Seattle last year before turning it around with the Cubs this season so far. “It’s a process. Some of the best guys statistically we’ve ever signed, the on-base percentage people a year or two ago, it doesn’t work out always.

“It’s a game that has to have a strong human element, whether it’s scouting or performing. You just don’t draw people up on computers and plug them in and that means they can perform at Wrigley Field in a pennant race. You just keep putting all your information together. You rely heavily on your scouts.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So...yeah.

Can we go ahead and push Hendry off on his ice floe now?