Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This should get KB aroused
<!--quoteo(post=101815:date=Jun 16 2010, 10:41 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Because Theo Epstein has repeatedly<i> said</i> he's followed Bill James ideas and plans?
Because it was Theo's idea to hire James in the first place?
Because Red Sox owner John Henry has repeatedly cited James's books and ideas as the bedrock philosophy that the entire organization is run by?
Because "Moneyball" itself was as much a book about Bill James as it was about Billy Beane? And that the Red Sox offered Theo's GM position originally to Beane ($12 M contract), which Beane turned down, and so Henry looked for a Beane-type, Bill James-lovin' replacement, and settled on Theo?

It's true that none of these facts <i>prove</i> anything. In fact, Theo might have hired James, and then as soon as James suggested something, Theo might have bellowed "Fuck off, pussy! I'm in charge here now, and I'm pulling a fuckin' 180!"

It's possible.

(btw, I just reread this, and I sound like an insufferable dickhead. Sorry, Dirk.)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, that's a good answer. I was asking because I honestly didn't know. Here's my take on the whole thing:
This was never a mater of Hendry not paying attention to stats. It's a matter of <i>which</i> stats he's looking at. It's not like any GM is going to sign a player to a 3-year deal then go look at the stats. I guarantee that Hendry looked at all the split and situational stats before he's even thought about acquiring any player. So then, it becomes a matter of what stats are Hendry ignoring that he needs to be looking at? I don't know what WAR, VORP or adjusted ERA is but I still think I can tell difference between a good player and a crappy player. I know what OPS, HR, WHIP, IP and K's are and those seem like perfectly reasonable metrics. There's no way in hell that Hendry doesn't pay attention to those stats. Guys with the best OPS are generally guys with good batting averages who hit HRs. Guys with good WHIP are usually the guys with good ERAs. Thus, I'd contend that the guys with good WAR or VORP are going to be the guys with the high OPS who hit a lot of HRs, they're going to be the guys already regarded as good. If that's not the case, then certainly there would be examples of guys with bad WAR/VORP but good BA, decent amount of HRs and guys with good WAR/VORP but poor BA, poor OPS, etc. Bottom line, why wouldn't I believe that the conventional metrics for evaluating players, the ones that EVERY GM is going to look at, aren't working?
<!--quoteo(post=101879:date=Jun 17 2010, 08:51 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 17 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->“I was joking around before: Look at all those stats we knew that Silva had,” Hendry said of pitcher Carlos Silva, who was 1-3 with an 8.60 ERA with Seattle last year before turning it around with the Cubs this season so far. “It’s a process. Some of the best guys statistically we’ve ever signed, the on-base percentage people a year or two ago, it doesn’t work out always.

“It’s a game that has to have a strong human element, whether it’s scouting or performing. You just don’t draw people up on computers and plug them in and that means they can perform at Wrigley Field in a pennant race. You just keep putting all your information together. You rely heavily on your scouts.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So...yeah.

Can we go ahead and push Hendry off on his ice floe now?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I truly hope that Hendry is the last holdout in the organization in that regard. That statement is beyond troubling on so many levels.
Dirk, those points you make are perfectly reasonable. And there's no doubt that Hendry looks at stats. I think the main problem is that he doesn't consider them to be as important as what his scouts tell him. That, and that he's fond of the back-of-the-baseball-card stats, but seems clueless about the advanced metrics that most successful teams are now using.

Scouts are hugely important, and teams need them. However, teams like the Yankees and Red Sox have blended scouting <i>with</i> advanced metrics, and those fuckers seem to <i>win</i> all the time.

Why not have a GM who uses every tool at his disposal?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Don't read the rest of the article.
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagocubs/post/_...10-team-to-2007
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Hendry confirmed ESPNChicago.com’s earlier report that Ari Kaplan has been hired as statistical analyst manager by Hendry and owner Tom Ricketts.“He’s a guy we’ve known for years,” Hendry said. “He did some work [for us] way back when I was running the draft. He also helped us with arbitration [cases]. He did a lot of statistical analysis. Ari can augment what we already have. He also had a relationship with Tom Ricketts. I think Tom has brought in 35 or 40 people in the building. But we haven’t had anyone else before [Ricketts brought in Kaplan] to the baseball department.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->