Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fukubyebye?
I don't see any reason why Colvin can't be a .280/20 hr guy, i.e.- a perfectly good number 6 hitter. And I don't hold the favorable match ups against him. It's easy as hell to find a corner OF who can club lefties to pair him with Colvin.
<!--quoteo(post=102551:date=Jun 23 2010, 08:41 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 23 2010, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Oh, I'm not even close to being sold on Colvin either, but it's clear that Fuk has no future here. I'd rather see if Colvin fails and give him every opportunity to do so than go with Fuk's disappearing act for another year, when that does nothing to help plan for the future. I don't think anyone is advocating just dumping him for nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

maybe he can be packaged with lee around the trade deadline... or with someone else...

I think he definitely needs to go, all I see him doing is eating up money amd playing time from colving. Id rather start colvin and see if he can be a solid starter...
<!--quoteo(post=102693:date=Jun 24 2010, 08:18 AM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ Jun 24 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't see any reason why Colvin can't be a .280/20 hr guy, i.e.- a perfectly good number 6 hitter. And I don't hold the favorable match ups against him. It's easy as hell to find a corner OF who can club lefties to pair him with Colvin.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree.

I really don't put too much into his minor league numbers either. The guy just put on 30 pounds of muscle in the offseason and has become a much more patient hitter.

Is he -this- good? No, but he's going to be a fine player in this league.
@TheBlogfines
In my world, you don't take a salary dump to get a guy that is "a fine player" more playing time. Colvin looks like an MLB caliber player, probably as a 4th OFer. If the Cubs are dumping salary to give him more PT, I really don't see the benefit.
<!--quoteo(post=102721:date=Jun 24 2010, 12:20 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 24 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In my world, you don't take a salary dump to get a guy that is "a fine player" more playing time. Colvin looks like an MLB caliber player, probably as a 4th OFer. If the Cubs are dumping salary to give him more PT, I really don't see the benefit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Word
Maybe the Cubs recognize that Fuk has no future with the team, this season is over, and they're hoping to get something in return for him?
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=102735:date=Jun 24 2010, 11:40 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 24 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe the Cubs recognize that Fuk has no future with the team, this season is over, and they're hoping to get something in return for him?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's exactly what it is, and they're right. He's a solid player and more valuable than most act like he is as people have said on here. I like Fukudome.

But... we're not winning this year. We're not winning next year. Fuk, Lilly, and Lee all need to be dealt if possible.

And even if Colvin's no more than a 4th outfielder, you're not going to find that out until we see him play more. He's been very impressive so far and has a very good skill set. See what you've got with him. See what you've got with all of the promising young guys.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=102739:date=Jun 24 2010, 12:52 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 24 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=102735:date=Jun 24 2010, 11:40 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 24 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe the Cubs recognize that Fuk has no future with the team, this season is over, and they're hoping to get something in return for him?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's exactly what it is, and they're right. He's a solid player and more valuable than most act like he is as people have said on here. I like Fukudome.

But... we're not winning this year. We're not winning next year. Fuk, Lilly, and Lee all need to be dealt if possible.

And even if Colvin's no more than a 4th outfielder, you're not going to find that out until we see him play more. He's been very impressive so far and has a very good skill set. See what you've got with him. See what you've got with all of the promising young guys.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Double word.

Fuk serves no purpose on this team this year or next. He sets us back if he's still on the roster next season. What exactly is the benefit of holding onto him if we plan to go younger?
I'm for trading Fuk if he got a good deal in return. From what has been reported, this looks just like a salary dump(where we pay a majority of the salary.)
<!--quoteo(post=102735:date=Jun 24 2010, 12:40 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 24 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe the Cubs recognize that Fuk has no future with the team, this season is over, and they're hoping to get something in return for him?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They're not gonna get anything in return for him though and they're gonna have to pay at least half of salary next year. I don't have a problem trading him and eating some of his contract, if they can get something in return. However, from all accounts, it looks like they expect nothing in return. That makes on sense to me. Is it really worth the $4 M savings, if that savings just ends up just being spent to replace his spot on the roster with another part time player? I'm really having trouble trying to see the benefit here.
Question: Who thinks Fukudome will be a better player than Colvin next year?

Isn't that kind of what people are driving at? I think Fukudome will suck next year, so whatever - dump him regardless of Colvin.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=102776:date=Jun 24 2010, 04:18 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jun 24 2010, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Question: Who thinks Fukudome will be a better player than Colvin next year?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Me.
Do I think Colvin, given the same amount of playing time as Fuk, would be more likely to not completely disappear as the season went on? Yes. Do I think Colvin's numbers would be dramatically better than Fuk's at the end of a full season? Maybe not, but I am fairly certain that he would be a more consistent player all-around. That has to count for something. He also has way more upside, so that tips the balance in his favor even more, at least in my opinion.
<!--quoteo(post=102780:date=Jun 24 2010, 05:53 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 24 2010, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do I think Colvin, given the same amount of playing time as Fuk, would be more likely to not completely disappear as the season went on? Yes. Do I think Colvin's numbers would be dramatically better than Fuk's at the end of a full season? Maybe not, but I am fairly certain that he would be a more consistent player all-around. That has to count for something. He also has way more upside, so that tips the balance in his favor even more, at least in my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. My guess is that their numbers at the end of the year would be similar, and with similar defense. My vote would be for Colvin, but I'm not set on either one.

Either way - no reason to keep Fuk around. He sucks, and he's been exposed by the league THREE YEARS IN A ROW for the SAME FLAWS.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
What about a Colvin sophomore slump?