Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zambrano
Hendry doesn't know if Z will pitch again for the Cubs so you would think that he would attempt to attempt to create a market for Z so they can unload him:

'Hendry said. "If you look at his last 50 starts, he probably ranks in the bottom third of the National League of overall performance, and I'm not saying that critically. That's not something that I'm tying in with today, but that's part of the decision that was criticized at the time, like we were taking our ace out of the rotation.

"At that time we did it," Hendry continued, "I think it was a 40-start lookback that we did, and it really didn't wind up very well. ... I expect him to win more than nine wins like last year, and certainly, he deserved to be given a large contract. He was one of the best pitchers in the game for four, five years and did a tremendous job."'

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/ne...id=5328972

Why the hell would Hendry make this statement to media, knowing it's his job to find a buyer for Z if he doesn't pitch for the Cubs?
<!--quoteo(post=103020:date=Jun 26 2010, 01:17 AM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Jun 26 2010, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think, as usual, there is a lot of assuming going on about things that go on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. I'm going to go ahead and guess that this situation is a little worse than "Carlos just being Carlos".<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Given the Hendry and Piniella quotes, I guarantee that you are right.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=103021:date=Jun 26 2010, 12:53 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 26 2010, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This never happens if Lou and Hendry don't move him to the bullpen for no god damn reason.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hated that move but he was fucked in the head way way before that. We all know that for a fact. He hasn't been the same since he threw that no hitter IMO. He has sucked and gotten crazier ever since.
<!--quoteo(post=103034:date=Jun 26 2010, 07:28 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jun 26 2010, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103020:date=Jun 26 2010, 01:17 AM:name=dk123)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dk123 @ Jun 26 2010, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think, as usual, there is a lot of assuming going on about things that go on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. I'm going to go ahead and guess that this situation is a little worse than "Carlos just being Carlos".<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Given the Hendry and Piniella quotes, I guarantee that you are right.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep.
<!--quoteo(post=103031:date=Jun 26 2010, 03:20 AM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Jun 26 2010, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103026:date=Jun 26 2010, 02:06 AM:name=Dingo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dingo @ Jun 26 2010, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's obvious by the players actions and motions, the way that they are playing is that they don't want to be there at the moment. They have had enough and thrown in the towel. Thinking what tropical island they will be on in the offseason. What type of high performance Italian sports car they will be driving next. Anything than lets play this game, lets play to win.

Fuck 'em, fuck 'em all in the ear.

Blow this fucking team up. Go in with a broom. Get rid of the cobwebs. Play guys that want to be there, that will play the game hard. But in doing so, have a plan. Not wait till next year as I think next season is a write off with the current contracts. Have a game plan of 2-3 years time. Trade guys like Zambrano, Lily, Fukudome, Theriot and Nady. See if Lee will go elsewhere with his limited no trade. Trade for A or AA prospect guys that have a view of playing in 2-3 years time. Build around Castro, Cashner, Colvin. Look to guys like Vitters, Jackson and Lee contributing for the future.

This team sucks donkey dick. I would prefer to watch Iowa play than this crap.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree. I'm done with this team...and this team is making me close to being done with the Cubs. I really don't enjoy watching them. When I saw the incident with Z all I could do was laugh. It's like a god damn reality show now, and I don't want to pay to see the Real World starring multi-millionaires. Z can hop on the next plane to Venezuela for all I care.

Same here. I have not watched a game in over 2 weeks now. Swear to god. I listened to the game yesterday while I mowed the yard but switched over to music by the 5th inning. I have never cared less for a Cubs team in all of my life. They are in real danger of becoming about the 4th team in line as far as Chicago sports teams go IMO. The Bears, Hawks, and Bulls (if they get LeBron) are all going to be above them until they start winning. It is sad and frustrating but true.
<!--quoteo(post=103037:date=Jun 26 2010, 07:36 AM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 26 2010, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103031:date=Jun 26 2010, 03:20 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Jun 26 2010, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103026:date=Jun 26 2010, 02:06 AM:name=Dingo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dingo @ Jun 26 2010, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's obvious by the players actions and motions, the way that they are playing is that they don't want to be there at the moment. They have had enough and thrown in the towel. Thinking what tropical island they will be on in the offseason. What type of high performance Italian sports car they will be driving next. Anything than lets play this game, lets play to win.

Fuck 'em, fuck 'em all in the ear.

Blow this fucking team up. Go in with a broom. Get rid of the cobwebs. Play guys that want to be there, that will play the game hard. But in doing so, have a plan. Not wait till next year as I think next season is a write off with the current contracts. Have a game plan of 2-3 years time. Trade guys like Zambrano, Lily, Fukudome, Theriot and Nady. See if Lee will go elsewhere with his limited no trade. Trade for A or AA prospect guys that have a view of playing in 2-3 years time. Build around Castro, Cashner, Colvin. Look to guys like Vitters, Jackson and Lee contributing for the future.

This team sucks donkey dick. I would prefer to watch Iowa play than this crap.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree. I'm done with this team...and this team is making me close to being done with the Cubs. I really don't enjoy watching them. When I saw the incident with Z all I could do was laugh. It's like a god damn reality show now, and I don't want to pay to see the Real World starring multi-millionaires. Z can hop on the next plane to Venezuela for all I care.

Same here. I have not watched a game in over 2 weeks now. Swear to god. I listened to the game yesterday while I mowed the yard but switched over to music by the 5th inning. I have never cared less for a Cubs team in all of my life. They are in real danger of becoming about the 4th team in line as far as Chicago sports teams go IMO. The Bears, Hawks, and Bulls (if they get LeBron) are all going to be above them until they start winning. It is sad and frustrating but true.
This.

And I went through the same thing in the late 90s. The Cubs were about 3rd on my list at the time, and are just a sideshow for me at the moment. I am so fucking sick of all the drama and nothing else that they've provided for 2+ seasons, and even more if you go back to 2003. Cubs fans get laughed at because of the perception that baseball is never #1 to them, it's all the cute WGN and Wrigley bullshit, and I can see why people ridicule us. It is the case from the top down. Until this organization makes winning ballgames year-in-and-year-out a priority again, I'm not going to give a shit. Blow this shit up.
<!--quoteo(post=103035:date=Jun 26 2010, 07:30 AM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 26 2010, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103021:date=Jun 26 2010, 12:53 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 26 2010, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This never happens if Lou and Hendry don't move him to the bullpen for no god damn reason.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hated that move but he was fucked in the head way way before that. We all know that for a fact. He hasn't been the same since he threw that no hitter IMO. He has sucked and gotten crazier ever since.
Yep, there is a lot of truth to that because I knew that Lou and Hendry were playing with fire. Then again, Z is a maniac.
I don't think I've ever lost interest in a season as early as I did this one. Thank God I chose not to watch yesterday's game.

I never thought this day would come, but I'm beginning to hate the Cubs. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. This team, this organization is infected to the very core. The poison has leaked into every crevice. There is no hope. There never will be. 102 years of the same thing over and over and over and over. It's past the point of no return.
Wang.
Did they air the footage with Z going off on the camera crew somewhere?
<!--quoteo(post=103033:date=Jun 26 2010, 07:27 AM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jun 26 2010, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hendry doesn't know if Z will pitch again for the Cubs so you would think that he would attempt to attempt to create a market for Z so they can unload him:

'Hendry said. "If you look at his last 50 starts, he probably ranks in the bottom third of the National League of overall performance, and I'm not saying that critically. That's not something that I'm tying in with today, but that's part of the decision that was criticized at the time, like we were taking our ace out of the rotation.

"At that time we did it," Hendry continued, "I think it was a 40-start lookback that we did, and it really didn't wind up very well. ... I expect him to win more than nine wins like last year, and certainly, he deserved to be given a large contract. He was one of the best pitchers in the game for four, five years and did a tremendous job."'

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/ne...id=5328972

Why the hell would Hendry make this statement to media, knowing it's his job to find a buyer for Z if he doesn't pitch for the Cubs?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that any GM who would look into acquiring Zambrano would be aware of this without needing Hendry to say it.
Z's a maniac and he's not pitching well enough to look the other way anymore. What he did yesterday was infantile. Still, the tipping point in yesterday's meltdown was that he shit all over the mound then blasted his teammates. If he'd made one mistake pitch and given up that homer after his defense had given up three errors in the inning, I think his tirade would have been received differently.

I also think that with the frustration building over the last few years and the hopes tied to new ownership not providing much gratification, it's no surprise that suddenly, Z has become the lightning rod for a lot of frustration. It happened right at the breaking point for buy/sell...giving up on this season or not. There's a broader context for the reaction to his outburst. This explains, at least in part, why the actual events in the dugout are being spun in the worst possible tone, rather than the best face possible being put on it. I truly believe the descriptions of the incident exaggerate what happened. I don't have much sympathy for that. He brought it on himself.

I'm fine with Z being done with the Cubs, if it comes to that. I don't think he's thrown his last pitch as a Cub but that's just my gut. If he's dumped, I think it's much more constructive for it to be done clearly in the context of blowing this team up and rebuilding than in terms of dealing with the Z problem.

I have zero confidence in Hendry to handle it that way. He's already gone way out of his way to trash Z to his potential buyers. We've seen this before. On this score, Hendry is an idiot. He responds to passion with passion when he needs to be a GM, not just a boss.

Players who's presence I would not miss at all next season:

Soriano
Fukodome
Ramirez
Fontenot
Theriot
Lee
Lilly
Hill
Lilly
Zambrano
Gorzellany
Silva
Wells
Baker

I pray that both Hendry and Piniella are gone.

If we suck next year, let's please suck for new reasons.
I agree with that list, except I'd have lilly on there 3 times instead of just two.
Wang.
Is it just me, or are we the only team in baseball that this kind of shit happens to on such a regular basis? Maybe it just seems that way because the Cubs are the only team I follow this closely.
I'm done with this shit. I'm raising my kid to be a Rockies fan.
[quote name='dk123' date='Jun 26 2010, 09:12 AM' pos
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that any GM who would look into acquiring Zambrano would be aware of this without needing Hendry to say it.
[/quote]

GMs will but will owners and fans?

How does the statement aid Hendry in unloading Z?