Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hendry to be back for 2011
<!--quoteo(post=106829:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:17 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106743:date=Jul 21 2010, 12:00 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 21 2010, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106741:date=Jul 20 2010, 11:56 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 20 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106643:date=Jul 20 2010, 07:37 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 20 2010, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->bunch. of. fucking. broads.

Hendry is NOT back for 2011. Hendry MAY be back for 2011, but absolutely NOTHING changed today, other than Lou confirmed what most of us thought was inevitable. Ricketts didn't say "full stock" he said "full stop". Which is to say, he said "Jim Hendry is our GM, period". Ricketts did NOT confirm he will be GM in 2011. He did confirm Hendry will be GM until the end of this year.

That's it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Good lord thanks for being the only one keeping a level head on this. Spot on.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Again, do we really think Hendy will stick around to find and hire a new manager and then fired soon after? I don't see it.

And maybe you won't. A new manager won't be hired until AFTER the season. If the Cubs finish badly, Ricketts can fire Hendry AFTER the season, and bring in a new GM and Manager, and he won't have contradicted anything he said today.

I'm not claiming Hendry will or won't be back. I'm saying none of that was proved one way or the other by Rickett's press conference yesterday. The only people who should be disappointed are the people that were hoping Hendry would be fired mid season, as that does not appear to be the case.
"He will be leading the effort to find our new manager for next year here and will be our general manager going into next year."
<!--quoteo(post=106834:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:37 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 21 2010, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106829:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:17 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106743:date=Jul 21 2010, 12:00 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 21 2010, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106741:date=Jul 20 2010, 11:56 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 20 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106643:date=Jul 20 2010, 07:37 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 20 2010, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->bunch. of. fucking. broads.

Hendry is NOT back for 2011. Hendry MAY be back for 2011, but absolutely NOTHING changed today, other than Lou confirmed what most of us thought was inevitable. Ricketts didn't say "full stock" he said "full stop". Which is to say, he said "Jim Hendry is our GM, period". Ricketts did NOT confirm he will be GM in 2011. He did confirm Hendry will be GM until the end of this year.

Again, do we really think Hendy will stick around to find and hire a new manager and then fired soon after? I don't see it.

And maybe you won't. A new manager won't be hired until AFTER the season. If the Cubs finish badly, Ricketts can fire Hendry AFTER the season, and bring in a new GM and Manager, and he won't have contradicted anything he said today.

I'm not claiming Hendry will or won't be back. I'm saying none of that was proved one way or the other by Rickett's press conference yesterday. The only people who should be disappointed are the people that were hoping Hendry would be fired mid season, as that does not appear to be the case.
"He will be leading the effort to find our new manager for next year here and will be our general manager going into next year."

going into next year could mean the day after the season ends.

You'll note, he very specifically did NOT say "He will be our General Manager next year". He couched his words. My guess is he did so on purpose.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=106850:date=Jul 21 2010, 10:30 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106834:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:37 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 21 2010, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106829:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:17 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106743:date=Jul 21 2010, 12:00 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 21 2010, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106741:date=Jul 20 2010, 11:56 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 20 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106643:date=Jul 20 2010, 07:37 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 20 2010, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->bunch. of. fucking. broads.

"<i>He will be leading the effort to find our new manager for next year here </i>and will be our general manager going into next year."

going into next year could mean the day after the season ends.

You'll note, he very specifically did NOT say "He will be our General Manager next year". He couched his words. My guess is he did so on purpose.
Focus on the first part of the quote.

Again. Why would Hendry lead the effort to find our new manager and then get fired?
I think Ricketts did a decent job of not handcuffing himself to Hendry...until he said Hendry will be leading the march for a new manager, or whatever he said. In sports in general, the manager is the GM's guy. I can't see Hendry hiring the guy and then getting hacked right after. It just doesn't happen. Now, if this team completely tanks the last two months, all bets are off, but putting all the power in Jim's corner I think pretty much assures us all he will be the GM for next year and after.

He's had two cracks (Dusty and Lou)...now is the third. Maybe third's a charm? Doubt it.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Focus on the first part of the quote.

Again. Why would Hendry lead the effort to find our new manager and then get fired?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because he is the General Manager until he is not.

Ricketts doesn't want to fire him until the season is over, at the earliest. It would be silly to fire him right now with the trade deadline approaching. A brand new GM isn't going to know the Cubs strengths and weaknesses as well as Hendry does.

So if he is not going to fire him until the end of the season, how in God's name is he supposed to answer the question of "who is going to lead the search for a new manager"? Of course the GM is going to lead the search. Until and unless he is NOT the GM, Hendry is going to be in charge of this.

Saying that Hendry will lead the search is completely unremarkable. The sentence you keep quoting is almost completely unremarkable. The only telling thing in that statement is that he very specifically did NOT say Hendry will be the GM next year, and even more to the point, he had to go out of his way to not say it.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=106873:date=Jul 21 2010, 11:08 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Focus on the first part of the quote.

Again. Why would Hendry lead the effort to find our new manager and then get fired?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ricketts doesn't want to fire him until the season is over, at the earliest. It would be silly to fire him right now with the trade deadline approaching. A brand new GM isn't going to know the Cubs strengths and weaknesses as well as Hendry does.

So if he is not going to fire him until the end of the season, how in God's name is he supposed to answer the question of "who is going to lead the search for a new manager"? Of course the GM is going to lead the search. Until and unless he is NOT the GM, Hendry is going to be in charge of this.

Saying that Hendry will lead the search is completely unremarkable. The sentence you keep quoting is almost completely unremarkable. The only telling thing in that statement is that he very specifically did NOT say Hendry will be the GM next year, and even more to the point, he had to go out of his way to not say it.
I suppose it's possible that Hendry is gone at the end of the season (or on January 2, 2011). It just seems odd to me that Hendry will be leading the search for a new manager, will head up whatever mid-season moves that occur, and then get shown the door. If you're going to bring in a new GM, let that person lead the search for a new manager.
<!--quoteo(post=106891:date=Jul 21 2010, 11:33 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 21 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106873:date=Jul 21 2010, 11:08 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Focus on the first part of the quote.

I suppose it's possible that Hendry is gone at the end of the season (or on January 2, 2011). It just seems odd to me that Hendry will be leading the search for a new manager, will head up whatever mid-season moves that occur, and then get shown the door. If you're going to bring in a new GM, let that person lead the search for a new manager.

The manager isn't gone yet, and won't be gone for another 3 months. Plenty of teams fire a manager the day after the season starts without having a new one in place. If they fire Hendry, they can take his recommendations into account, and then let the new GM decide what to do.

Again, I am not saying Hendry is definitely going to be fired. Maybe Ricketts hasn't made up his mind. But he has left himself wiggle room either way.
<!--quoteo(post=106893:date=Jul 21 2010, 11:36 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106891:date=Jul 21 2010, 11:33 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 21 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106873:date=Jul 21 2010, 11:08 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Focus on the first part of the quote.

The manager isn't gone yet, and won't be gone for another 3 months. Plenty of teams fire a manager the day after the season starts without having a new one in place. If they fire Hendry, they can take his recommendations into account, and then let the new GM decide what to do.

Again, I am not saying Hendry is definitely going to be fired. Maybe Ricketts hasn't made up his mind. But he has left himself wiggle room either way.
Yeah. He isn't locked in to not firing Hendry. But I don't like all of the votes of confidence in him.

And yes, I want him to tell the media that Hendry has done a shittastic job and then promptly fire everyone.
Votes of confidence don't mean shit. in fact, they are usually the last thing a manager hears before he is fired.
Why not specifically say "Hendry is our GM next year"? He didn't. Like BT said, what does a vote of confidence mean? Do you think Rickett's is going to say Hendry sucks ass? Of course not.
<!--quoteo(post=106937:date=Jul 21 2010, 12:49 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 21 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Why not specifically say "Hendry is our GM next year"? He didn't. Like BT said, what does a vote of confidence mean? Do you think Rickett's is going to say Hendry sucks ass? Of course not.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really. You don't trade GMs so where's the sport in undermining his value?
Be realistic. He's staying the remainder of the year, what's the point of bashing him?
<!--quoteo(post=106701:date=Jul 20 2010, 08:59 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 20 2010, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106700:date=Jul 20 2010, 09:54 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 20 2010, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I...love it. He absolutely deserves to be back.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If this has all been a string of bad luck, preceded by Zell making him sign high-profile free agents to keep fan interest high at any cost, then you're right.

I hope you're right. I hope BT has always been right.

I think there is very good chance this is the case. Horrible luck in '04. With all the money committed to payroll, Hendry seemed very penny wise but pound foolish in '05 and '06. That was probably ownership. The seats were filled, they could care less about winning. After '06 ownership needed to bolster the club. Thus the big dollar back loaded contracts. Soriano actually turned out to be the best player to blow 100+ mil on.
I like you guys a lot.
All of the "the Trib forced him to do this or Zell forced him to do that" is pure speculation.

What isn't pure speculation are the results.

Since '03, the Cubs have averaged a little over 83 wins a season (I'm sure this will take a dip once this season is all said and done). They've made the playoffs three times and won 6 playoff games. This might be the best stretch of Cubs baseball in my lifetime, but it certainly doesn't scream "elite GM" to me.

With the Cubs' resources, we should be winning 94 games a season in this sorry-ass division. The Red Sox have averaged 94 wins a season since '03. That's what we should be aiming for. It's embarrassing that we're this mediocre in this division when we have these kinds of resources at our disposal.

Hendry needs to go.
<!--quoteo(post=106789:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:13 AM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Jul 21 2010, 06:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I am big believer in the Scarey-defense that<b> Hendry has never really had a an entirely fair opportunity</b>, between the stingy Trib, then the push by the Trib before selling, and then pretty much not having an owner for two years. Assuming this all really does mean he's back, we'll see if can actually do the job with a stable organization.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I like Giff. I like Scarey. And I like Sipes.
Please forgive this outburst, guys:
That is stupidest notion anyone has ever concocted on this board, far outdistancing "just put Murton at 2B."
Talk about being a Hendry apologist! Yeah, he's had one of the 5 biggest payrolls in professional sports, and he's had <i>nearly a decade</i> to get the job done...but he hasn't because his hands have been tied.

Bull <b>shit</b>.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance