Poll: Brenly?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
46.88%
15 46.88%
No
18.75%
6 18.75%
Maybe...
34.38%
11 34.38%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brenly?
Would you want Brenly as manager in 2011: Yay or Nay?
There's a lot to like about Brenly, but it's hard to know whether his criticisms of the team (spot on) would translate to the manager role. Also, why hasn't he received another chance yet after being a WS winner? Is it possible that he's viewed as just not that good?
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
He'd be on my short list. I'd like to see who all would take the job. Of the names most frequently mentioned, the only one I'd be quick to give a shot ahead of him is Girardi. I'd take him over Ryno.
One negative is we'd lose him in the booth, but of course it'd be worth it if he could do something on the field.
He's been watching this team for years and knows what works for them and what doesn't. He knows that our biggest problem is defense/fundamentals, and I think that he'd be focused on making us a more fundamentally sound baseball team. And, as Ace mentioned, he's a proven manager with a WS title to his credit. What's not to like?
I think Tommy brought up before that he may have gotten a bit of the shaft before, and that he could be a good manager simply because he was able to manage the egos of some of those DBack veterans. The team that we will be looking at from here on out will look a lot like the Red Sox. It will be a mix of home grown talent and players we muscled our way into signing. I think Brenly has a good idea of some of the important things when dealing with that type of team: what it takes to motivate and corral the vets, how to tend to the young players and assure they develop without determent to the ultimate goal of winning (playing a struggling rookie despite the fact that he might be costing the team some wins), and he has brought up, whether it was legit or not is tbd, some things about getting players on base, not wasting early outs, etc. that makes me think he is more modern than his peers. That said, it could all just be talk...who knows? He seems like an in between type of fellow. Someone who understands the oldschool and is understanding the new school philosophies of baseball. But that's all based on what I've heard of him on the air.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
He's my #1 choice.
@TheBlogfines
We could do a lot worse than him.
the question is after seeing all the shit managers take here would he want the job?
<!--quoteo(post=106832:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:26 AM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Jul 21 2010, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->the question is after seeing all the shit managers take here would he want the job?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
At least he would know what he's getting himself into. I don't think Dusty or Lou were completely prepared.
I would love him as the manager. If for anything else he has watched this shit show since 2005 and knows this team's strengths and weaknesses much better than anyone else who would be a candidate other than maybe Trammel, which please God no. Brenley has fire, good strategy, teaches discipline (which this team dearly needs) and would I think have a strong hand in getting rid of the dead weight (Fuku, Theriot, Z) simply because he hates them. Which makes me love him.

I have heard everything from Torre to Valentine around the media world, Brenley would be my #1 unless Girardi can be had.
Dylan McKay is my hero
They have also been floating the LaRussa balloon.

I kind of like the Torre w/ Sandberg as bench coach, 2 year deal with a retirement plan that Sandberg takes over after two years.

You could insert LaRussa in place of Torre in the above plan.
I hate Larussa, but much like I hated Edmonds until I loved him.
That would mean Duncan as well [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

You could also insert Brenly or Girardi in the above plan, but the exit strategy could get dicey, with the old guys at least you can plan for the exit and handing over of the keys.

What other old guys are out there? Valentine...Showalter...Leyland...Maybe we could get Jack McKeon...he could teach Jim a little about GM too.
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
Absolute short list...

Now...if Ryno won the Series as manager, he'd be the absolute Jesus of Chicago.
<!--quoteo(post=106914:date=Jul 21 2010, 12:09 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Jul 21 2010, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They have also been floating the LaRussa balloon.

I kind of like the Torre w/ Sandberg as bench coach, 2 year deal with a retirement plan that Sandberg takes over after two years.

You could also insert Brenly or Girardi in the above plan, but the exit strategy could get dicey, with the old guys at least you can plan for the exit and handing over of the keys.

What other old guys are out there? Valentine...Showalter...Leyland...Maybe we could get Jack McKeon...he could teach Jim a little about GM too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I really really don't want one of those old guys.
<!--quoteo(post=106919:date=Jul 21 2010, 12:18 PM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Jul 21 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106914:date=Jul 21 2010, 12:09 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Jul 21 2010, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They have also been floating the LaRussa balloon.

What other old guys are out there? Valentine...Showalter...Leyland...Maybe we could get Jack McKeon...he could teach Jim a little about GM too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I really really don't want one of those old guys.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
What the Jewish guy said.