Poll: Brenly?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
46.88%
15 46.88%
No
18.75%
6 18.75%
Maybe...
34.38%
11 34.38%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brenly?
<!--quoteo(post=107067:date=Jul 21 2010, 05:00 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Jul 21 2010, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Interesting tidbit from Levine's candidate list. I don't believe it for a second though.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec--># Bobby Cox, Atlanta Braves manager: He has said he will not be back as manager of the Braves, and he most likely would retire. But I’m telling you that approached in a proper manner, Cox would manage the Chicago Cubs. He’s still a lively guy and would probably be a big favorite in Chicago.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rest of list.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/...as-cubs-manager
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Approached in a proper manner?

"When you approach Mr. Cox to inquire as to his employment with the Chicago National League Ballclub, do not look Mr. Cox directly in the eyes. Furthermore, be sure to bend at the waist and walk with a slight stoop to ensure that you never appear taller than Mr. Cox.

Then suck his penis."
One of the guys I really trust when it comes to Cubs stuff is very against hiring Ryno. Said he is very similar to Dusty as a manager, and is very old school (for example bunting people over in the first). FWLIW.
[Image: 2hz4sk2.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=107089:date=Jul 21 2010, 05:34 PM:name=Baron)-->QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 21 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->One of the guys I really trust when it comes to Cubs stuff is very against hiring Ryno. Said he is very similar to Dusty as a manager, and is very old school (for example bunting people over in the first). FWLIW.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I've heard that too, but I didn't know it was that bad.
If that's true, fuck Ryno as our manager.
Brenly, Girardi, Cox...in whatever order.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
no thanks
[Image: lou.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=107031:date=Jul 21 2010, 04:04 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 21 2010, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107019:date=Jul 21 2010, 03:43 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 21 2010, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Tram gets the job.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That really cause an uproar.
BTW, why not bring Ryno up for the rest of the season to be a coach, and to acclimate himself to a MLB clubhouse?
My friend was saying the same thing.

As far as Ryno goes, it seems if he doesn't get the job he's going to making himself available for another manager position in the bigs..I don't think he plans on waiting around.
<!--quoteo(post=107067:date=Jul 21 2010, 05:00 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Jul 21 2010, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Interesting tidbit from Levine's candidate list. I don't believe it for a second though.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec--># Bobby Cox, Atlanta Braves manager: He has said he will not be back as manager of the Braves, and he most likely would retire. But I’m telling you that approached in a proper manner, Cox would manage the Chicago Cubs. He’s still a lively guy and would probably be a big favorite in Chicago.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rest of list.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/...as-cubs-manager
I'd rather he be hired as the President of Baseball Operations. I think his managing days are over.
I agree Rok. I think he's done managing.
I think Cox is already in line for a job in the Braves' front office. But I'm sure he'd listen if teams called. I agree that he is probably done managing though. Maybe he'll retire for a year, and get that itch again after next season. But this is probably it for now.
He's actually not as old as I thought he was.
If he has anything left in the tank I would love to haev Cox, but just not sure what's left. He is putting everything he has into this last year and has that team playing at a high level even with all of their injuries. He is one hell of a manager no doubt. But does he have enough in the tank to go through what is sure to be somewhat (if not full blown) rebuilding process and try to turn this ugly ship around...not sure if he is up to that.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo(post=107195:date=Jul 22 2010, 10:42 AM:name=willis)-->QUOTE (willis @ Jul 22 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If he has anything left in the tank I would love to haev Cox, but just not sure what's left. He is putting everything he has into this last year and has that team playing at a high level even with all of their injuries. He is one hell of a manager no doubt. But does he have enough in the tank to go through what is sure to be somewhat (if not full blown) rebuilding process and try to turn this ugly ship around...not sure if he is up to that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do we really want another manager whose teams don't perform well in the post season?

I think it'll be Sandberg. This team is going to get a lot younger and a lot more home-grown. He is both of those things. Plus do you think the fans are going to come down hard on Ryno if the team starts out 0-10? No chance. Can you say the same for Brenley or Gonzalez or Trammel? It just makes sense from a front-office standpoint.

Yeah forgot to mention I saw something run across the ticker last night about Freddi Gonzalez...what's up with that?

It's Sandberg if you are going way young and have a nice fire sale to start over. If there is a core of veterans I have to think that Brenly would be the better option. Or of course Girardi, but I am not thinking that has much of a chance. Hope I am wrong.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo(post=107200:date=Jul 22 2010, 09:52 AM:name=vitaminB)-->QUOTE (vitaminB @ Jul 22 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107195:date=Jul 22 2010, 10:42 AM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Jul 22 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If he has anything left in the tank I would love to haev Cox, but just not sure what's left. He is putting everything he has into this last year and has that team playing at a high level even with all of their injuries. He is one hell of a manager no doubt. But does he have enough in the tank to go through what is sure to be somewhat (if not full blown) rebuilding process and try to turn this ugly ship around...not sure if he is up to that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do we really want another manager whose teams don't perform well in the post season?

I think it'll be Sandberg. This team is going to get a lot younger and a lot more home-grown. He is both of those things. Plus do you think the fans are going to come down hard on Ryno if the team starts out 0-10? No chance. Can you say the same for Brenley or Gonzalez or Trammel? It just makes sense from a front-office standpoint.
If any Cubs manager is 11.5 games back on July 22, 2011, it will be with roster in development working under very different expectations.

Here's a question...forget that he's a superstar...next year's situation a good one for a rookie manager?
<!--quoteo(post=107204:date=Jul 22 2010, 08:57 AM:name=willis)-->QUOTE (willis @ Jul 22 2010, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah forgot to mention I saw something run across the ticker last night about Freddi Gonzalez...what's up with that?

It's Sandberg if you are going way young and have a nice fire sale to start over. If there is a core of veterans I have to think that Brenly would be the better option. Or of course Girardi, but I am not thinking that has much of a chance. Hope I am wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Fredi Gonzalez and Hendry have a connection from their days in Florida
<!--quoteo(post=107207:date=Jul 22 2010, 11:00 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 22 2010, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107200:date=Jul 22 2010, 09:52 AM:name=vitaminB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vitaminB @ Jul 22 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107195:date=Jul 22 2010, 10:42 AM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Jul 22 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If he has anything left in the tank I would love to haev Cox, but just not sure what's left. He is putting everything he has into this last year and has that team playing at a high level even with all of their injuries. He is one hell of a manager no doubt. But does he have enough in the tank to go through what is sure to be somewhat (if not full blown) rebuilding process and try to turn this ugly ship around...not sure if he is up to that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If any Cubs manager is 11.5 games back on July 22, 2011, it will be with roster in development working under very different expectations.

Here's a question...forget that he's a superstar...next year's situation a good one for a rookie manager?

Is there an ideal situation for a rookie manager? If he fails with a great team, it's his fault. If he fails with a bad roster, it's the GM's fault. If he succeeds with a bad roster, he wins the Manager of the year. If he wins with a great roster, he was supposed to.

I don't think the fact that he'll be a rookie (at the Major league level) will have any bearing on the situation.