Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best and worst broadcast teams
Five best and worst
Number one on both lists will come as no surprise.
I dislike Jeff Brantley and Thom Brennamen just as much as I hate Hawk and Stoney. Props to whomever made that list. A little surprised Len and Bob didn't fall somewhere in the top 5.
The Mets announcers are number two on the best list? I want to stab my brain with a screwdriver whenever I hear Ron Darling.
<!--quoteo(post=107098:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:14 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Jul 21 2010, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Mets announcers are number two on the best list? I want to stab my brain with a screwdriver whenever I hear Ron Darling.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I was thinking the same.

The write on Mr. Harrelson was pretty funny.
Josh Lewin is the fucking worst.
That was a pretty good list. It's interesting to know that it's not just us who find Harrelson unbearable. I was wondering how the writer was gonna cut down Steve Stone (who we all know is very good), and he smartly focused strictly on Hawk's foibles.

And I have to Big Gabby this one about once a year: I got to do an inning in the booth with Vin Scully, back in the 90's. I'd love to have a tape of that (although I do recall being pretty tongue-tied).
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Calling Hawk an unbearable homer is like calling Hitler just another dictator.

He is the devil.

And awesome story KB. I love Scully.
Pretty good list, but I agree with those questioning the props for the Mets crew. I love Kruk & Kuip almost as much as Scully.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I can't stand Keith Hernandez.

Dan Macneil on the Score the other day was saying he thinks there's a lot of tension in Sox broadcasts because Hawk likes being the top dog. We all know Stone's an ego maniac so those to egos have to collide...but I don't watch enough broadcasts to be able to tell whether or not there is tension.
<!--quoteo(post=107127:date=Jul 21 2010, 08:03 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 21 2010, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can't stand Keith Hernandez.

Dan Macneil on the Score the other day was saying he thinks there's a lot of tension in Sox broadcasts because Hawk likes being the top dog. We all know Stone's an ego maniac so those to egos have to collide...but I don't watch enough broadcasts to be able to tell whether or not there is tension.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I watch at least a few innings of every broadcast, and I think that MacNeil is exaggerating quite a bit. Stone doesn't always agree with Hawk, and I know for a fact that he resents Stone for bringing up the Cubs often during broadcasts, but aside from that, they just make an awkward pair. What I hear is a lack of chemistry, not real tension. It sometimes sounds as though they are calling different games or are broadcasting from separate booths.
It was interesting...they played a clip where Stone makes a joke and Hawk doesn't respond in the slightest. It was just awkward dead air for about 10 seconds.
I know we've covered this angle before, but it bears repeating: imagine being Steve Stone in that setting. He's one of the better color guys in the business...smart, articulate, knows the game well, has a history with the great Harry Carey...I mean, he's one of the best.

And to be paired with a guy who's almost universally considered to be the <i>worst</i>.
A guy who tries to do the kind of "shtick" that Harry used to pull off effortlessly, but with Hawk, it comes out buffoonish and laughably bad.
At least once per broadcast, Stone must be saying to himself, "I am in hell."
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Speaking of Harry, I wonder if I'm biased simply because I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and grew up with him as my announcer. Did non-Cub fans find Harry to be annoying a clown?
<!--quoteo(post=107152:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:27 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 21 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Speaking of Harry, I wonder if I'm biased simply because I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and grew up with him as my announcer. Did non-Cub fans find Harry to be annoying a clown?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some Cubs fans had to work to get past that.

I'm hear to tell you that Harry couldn't tote Jack Brickhouse's jockstrap.
You were around during the Brickhouse era?