Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best and worst broadcast teams
Brickhouse also did Sox games for over 20 years though.
<!--quoteo(post=107229:date=Jul 22 2010, 12:23 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Jul 22 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There have been times when Brantley is on the radio broadcasts when I have considered jamming my car into a median strip rather than listen to one more of second of his "folksy" schtick.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Especially when Marty leaves him alone for a couple of innings. It's horrific. Marty's pretty terrible too. I have no idea why he's so popular to Reds fans. It's one thing to tell it like it is. It's another to be a negative curmudgeon at ALL times.
<!--quoteo(post=107339:date=Jul 22 2010, 04:15 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 22 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Brickhouse also did Sox games for over 20 years though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He did that because he worked for WGN, and they broadcast both...

I think he stopped the White Sox when WGN decided to start covering road games, and the White Sox moved to channel 44...which I'm still not sure anyone ever received.
<!--quoteo(post=107386:date=Jul 22 2010, 07:11 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 22 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107339:date=Jul 22 2010, 04:15 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 22 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Brickhouse also did Sox games for over 20 years though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think he stopped the White Sox when WGN decided to start covering road games, and the White Sox moved to channel 44...which I'm still not sure anyone ever received.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why WGN ever carried them in the first place is beyond me. At least when I was growing up in the late 70s and early 80s and WGN became a superstation it was completely Sox-free. I remember they were on a variety of UHF stations and Sportsvision, which almost no one could find. I wish we would go back to those days.
<!--quoteo(post=107386:date=Jul 22 2010, 07:11 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 22 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107339:date=Jul 22 2010, 04:15 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 22 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Brickhouse also did Sox games for over 20 years though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I lived right around the corner from 44 and it was so weird seeing that Sox signage on a building in my neighborhood.
I grew up with Harry and Stone, so they'll always be my all time favorites. But I do think Len and Bob should be in the top 5, and not just because I'm a Cubs fan. They're just good at what they do, although sometimes I wish Len would talk a little less, but just a little.

I can't stand the Mets guys, and the PBP guy for the Yankees gets on my nerves too. I don't watch their games, but I always hear his annoying "SEEEE YAAA!" homerun call on the MLB Network highlight reels. It sounds like he has to force the excitement, which is pretty weak.
My very favorite thing about Len and Bob is their relationship. They're relaxed with each other, clearly get along famously and have an unforced teacher/pupil relationship with no obsequiousness or condescension. In this regard, they have no peers that I've heard. Their broadcasts are an ongoing conversation. Len's questions to Bob obviously are often deliberate solicitations of information he already knows or has already heard Bob's views on...and asked for the benefit of the audience. But as often as not, he simply asks a spontaneous question motivated by his own curiosity. Bob also maintains a certain air of being the jock in the booth to Len's trained broadcaster that is refreshing and a sort of return of respect.

These qualities are all in addition to their actual skills as broadcasters. I agree that Len could allow a little more silence and Bob's got that slight fumfering mannerism: "errrrahhhhhh...I just think that blah blah...." that I've not only become used to but think grounds him as more a "guy" and a little less of a "broadcaster."
<!--quoteo(post=107410:date=Jul 22 2010, 10:48 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 22 2010, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My very favorite thing about Len and Bob is their relationship. They're relaxed with each other, clearly get along famously and have an unforced teacher/pupil relationship with no obsequiousness or condescension. In this regard, they have no peers that I've heard. Their broadcasts are an ongoing conversation. Len's questions to Bob obviously are often deliberate solicitations of information he already knows or has already heard Bob's views on...and asked for the benefit of the audience. But as often as not, he simply asks a spontaneous question motivated by his own curiosity. Bob also maintains a certain air of being the jock in the booth to Len's trained broadcaster that is refreshing and a sort of return of respect.

These qualities are all in addition to their actual skills as broadcasters. I agree that Len could allow a little more silence and Bob's got that slight fumfering mannerism: "errrrahhhhhh...I just think that blah blah...." that I've not only become used to but think grounds him as more a "guy" and a little less of a "broadcaster."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good post. You nailed it.
And I triple that notion. That's pretty much how I feel.
Indeed, it would be hard for Brenly to walk away from one of the nicest gigs in America...shooting the breeze at the ballpark for a few hours a day, nor pressure, and a paycheck of $1,000,000 per annum.
No wonder he's turned down other team's offers.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=107426:date=Jul 23 2010, 12:16 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 23 2010, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And I triple that notion. That's pretty much how I feel.
Indeed, it would be hard for Brenly to walk away from one of the nicest gigs in America...shooting the breeze at the ballpark for a few hours a day, nor pressure, and a paycheck of $1,000,000 per annum.
No wonder he's turned down other team's offers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's waiting for the perfect job. He could potentially end up managing his son if things work out, that is a big reason why I think we're his #1 choice, rather than the Giants, whenever that job becomes available.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
I've grown to accept Brenley. I didn't like him at first and there are still a couple things that bother me, but the fact that he's become more critical of the team has somewhat won me over. I have no problem with Len or Bob.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=107413:date=Jul 22 2010, 11:17 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Jul 22 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107410:date=Jul 22 2010, 10:48 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 22 2010, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My very favorite thing about Len and Bob is their relationship. They're relaxed with each other, clearly get along famously and have an unforced teacher/pupil relationship with no obsequiousness or condescension. In this regard, they have no peers that I've heard. Their broadcasts are an ongoing conversation. Len's questions to Bob obviously are often deliberate solicitations of information he already knows or has already heard Bob's views on...and asked for the benefit of the audience. But as often as not, he simply asks a spontaneous question motivated by his own curiosity. Bob also maintains a certain air of being the jock in the booth to Len's trained broadcaster that is refreshing and a sort of return of respect.

These qualities are all in addition to their actual skills as broadcasters. I agree that Len could allow a little more silence and Bob's got that slight fumfering mannerism: "errrrahhhhhh...I just think that blah blah...." that I've not only become used to but think grounds him as more a "guy" and a little less of a "broadcaster."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good post. You nailed it.

Yup...absolutely. They both allow themselves to be natural...exactly.
<!--quoteo(post=107405:date=Jul 22 2010, 08:57 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Jul 22 2010, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I grew up with Harry and Stone, so they'll always be my all time favorites. But I do think Len and Bob should be in the top 5, and not just because I'm a Cubs fan. They're just good at what they do, although sometimes I wish Len would talk a little less, but just a little.

I can't stand the Mets guys, and the PBP guy for the Yankees gets on my nerves too. I don't watch their games, but I always hear his annoying "SEEEE YAAA!" homerun call on the MLB Network highlight reels. It sounds like he has to force the excitement, which is pretty weak.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Michael Kay...I actually did some VO work with him years ago, and he's a pretty good guy...but, yeah...the "see ya" is almost as annoying as "back, back, back, outta here...".
Yep, Brenly has grown on me too ever since 2008. I don't blame him for sounding awkward over his first 2 seasons here. Hell, I think it was cool that he gave the organization credit for giving him his start in broadcasting back in the early 90s and jumped at the opportunity to come back, so he seems like a decent guy, and he knows his shit. I'm starting to like him almost as much as I did Stoney, before he turned to the dark side and ruined his credibility.

And, yeah, put me down for hating Michael Kay too. He doesn't belong in the broadcast booth as a PBP guy. Wasn't he just a sports talk radio guy before?
<!--quoteo(post=107374:date=Jul 22 2010, 07:35 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 22 2010, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107229:date=Jul 22 2010, 12:23 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Jul 22 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There have been times when Brantley is on the radio broadcasts when I have considered jamming my car into a median strip rather than listen to one more of second of his "folksy" schtick.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Especially when Marty leaves him alone for a couple of innings. It's horrific. Marty's pretty terrible too. I have no idea why he's so popular to Reds fans. It's one thing to tell it like it is. It's another to be a negative curmudgeon at ALL times.
Agreed. The "Ask Marty" segments seem to be an invitation for Brennaman to channel Archie Bunker. Listen to Brantley call a game by himself takes the fun out of baseball like sitting through a lecture on Pap Smears would take all the fun out of vaginas.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer