Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DLee
Jayson Stark just tweeted this:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->A source who has known Derrek Lee for years says it's "highly doubtful" he'd waive full no-trade to OK any deal at this stage.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img]

<!--quoteo(post=108009:date=Jul 26 2010, 01:47 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 26 2010, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Jayson Stark just tweeted this:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->A source who has known Derrek Lee for years says it's "highly doubtful" he'd waive full no-trade to OK any deal at this stage.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img]
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=108033:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:12 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Jul 26 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img]

<!--quoteo(post=108009:date=Jul 26 2010, 01:47 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 26 2010, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Jayson Stark just tweeted this:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->A source who has known Derrek Lee for years says it's "highly doubtful" he'd waive full no-trade to OK any deal at this stage.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't mind him finishing the season. The Cubs aren't going anywhere and I doubt they would've gotten all that much for him anyway.
Wang.
If he is traded (or not resigned), we'll have to find someone to replace him. Our farm system is a little thin on 1B. AA has a few options, but they're a little green.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=108037:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:15 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 26 2010, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108033:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:12 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Jul 26 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--> [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img]

<!--quoteo(post=108009:date=Jul 26 2010, 01:47 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 26 2010, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Jayson Stark just tweeted this:

I don't mind him finishing the season. The Cubs aren't going anywhere and I doubt they would've gotten all that much for him anyway.

I agree. Ironically, if he was doing well enough to get someone of quality in trade, the Cubs probably WOULD be going somewhere and there would be no trade talk.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
Worst case scenario, we offer him arbitration and he accepts a one year deal. Best case scenario, we offer him arbitration, he walks and we get a couple of decent picks. Trading him now for a worthless prospect does nothing for the future.
I was going to mention Brandon Wood now that the Angels have traded for Callaspo but man are his numbers terrible. Wasn't he considered sort of a can't miss type prospect a few seasons ago?
I'n in the camp of keeping him and offering arbitration and if it works out great if not no big deal. The problem is the emptiness at 1B after Lee. Who is out there that is ready in the organization? The 1B FA market next year is shitty. As much as it pains me with his downward spiral this year, he may be the best option at least for one more year.

Unless Hendry can wheel and deal a trade....I can totally see him as the 1B for the cubs next year.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo(post=108041:date=Jul 26 2010, 03:22 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 26 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If he is traded (or not resigned), we'll have to find someone to replace him. Our farm system is a little thin on 1B. AA has a few options, but they're a little green.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can see us Hassling the Hauph in 2011.

I guess it all depends on what kind of team we're going to be next year. I'd be okay with offering D-Lee a two year deal and see if him and Ramirez can get it together next year. It's not like he's blocking someone else's development. The guys at AA seem like they are at least two years away.

<!--quoteo(post=108060:date=Jul 26 2010, 03:41 PM:name=vitaminB)-->QUOTE (vitaminB @ Jul 26 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108041:date=Jul 26 2010, 03:22 PM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 26 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If he is traded (or not resigned), we'll have to find someone to replace him. Our farm system is a little thin on 1B. AA has a few options, but they're a little green.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can see us Hassling the Hauph in 2011.

I guess it all depends on what kind of team we're going to be next year. I'd be okay with offering D-Lee a two year deal and see if him and Ramirez can get it together next year. It's not like he's blocking someone else's development. The guys at AA seem like they are at least two years away.
Fuck that, Hoff has no business on any major league roster. And no way does Lee deserve a 2 year deal, not from us anyway, and not at this stage in his career. If he doesn't accept a 1 year deal in arbitration, he needs to walk.
If Lee waives his NTC, it's doubtful we would get much back for him. Also, and this might have been covered, I'm not entirely certain Lee would qualify as a type A free agent. If he is type B, there is no reason for the Cubs to even offer him arbitration, as he will be vastly overpaid even with a 20 percent cut in salary.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Two words.

Adam Fucking Dunn.
<!--quoteo(post=108077:date=Jul 26 2010, 04:23 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 26 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Two words.

Adam Fucking Dunn.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh...1, 2, 3? Or does "fucking" not count in this equation?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo(post=108065:date=Jul 26 2010, 03:55 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 26 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Lee waives his NTC, it's doubtful we would get much back for him. Also, and this might have been covered, I'm not entirely certain Lee would qualify as a type A free agent. If he is type B, there is no reason for the Cubs to even offer him arbitration, as he will be vastly overpaid even with a 20 percent cut in salary.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's a certainty that he will be an A. After the year he put together last year, he only had to put up mediocre numbers to get into that category. He'll be an A, which actually doesn't bode well for the Cubs in terms of compensation. If he was a B, we could get a sandwich pick no problem.

I think it's likely the Cubs resign Lee if he's not traded. He won't get a major league contract with another team because nobody is going to want to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick for him as a 1 year fill in. Couple that with the fact that there's not much on the free agent market, and it's a pretty good fit. The Cubs get an extra year to try to come up with a 1st baseman and Lee gets a major league contract.

If not, then Nady could be the solution at 1st. Short of an Adrian Gonzalez trade, I don't think there's any better options than those two.
<!--quoteo(post=108065:date=Jul 26 2010, 04:55 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 26 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Lee waives his NTC, it's doubtful we would get much back for him. Also, and this might have been covered, I'm not entirely certain Lee would qualify as a type A free agent. If he is type B, there is no reason for the Cubs to even offer him arbitration, as he will be vastly overpaid even with a 20 percent cut in salary.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He'll be a Type B, barring an insane finish to the season. If the Cubs offer arbitration, it's very likely he accepts - he'd no doubt get close to the $12.5 million he's making this year. Vets don't take paycuts in arbitration (and even if they do, it's at most 20 percent, as BT noted).

Edit to respond to Scarey: to be a Type A, a guy has to be in the top 20 percent at his position over the past two years. Take a look around baseball - to me, there's no way Lee is in the top 20 percent (i.e., top 6) at 1B over the past two years. Being in the top 40 percent (top 12) is even questionable.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.