Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Watching video of Horton, he's got crazy stuff. Hopefully that pitching development team can turn him into something.
I don't know about this pick -- it seems like they might've been able to get this dude in the second round, but who knows. We'll see if he pans out...
I’m going to resist the temptation to make a mule joke after pick #4. He might work out though if he focuses on pitching.
All pitchers so far, one HS shortstop.
Mule sounds like a huge upside potential guy.
So what are our thoughts about drafting McGwire’s kid at #8? Not going to lie. He kind of has his dad’s face and am already starting to hate him.
(07-19-2022, 09:19 AM)rok Wrote: So what are our thoughts about drafting McGwire’s kid at #8? Not going to lie. He kind of has his dad’s face and am already starting to hate him.

Thought I read that Mason is unlikely to sign but I already have had scary visions of him giving up HRs at a rate more prodigious than his father hit them - so another McGuire beating the Cubs
Am I correct that the team has gone from not drafting many pitchers to almost only drafting pitchers this season, or are the first round picks of recent coloring this notion? I assume part of this (if true) is the belief that they now can better develop pitching than they could years back, but curious about other factors that have led to the change.
Quote:After Chicago picked Mason McGwire, his dad received a congratulatory text message from Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak. Recognizing the amusing element to this situation, Mark McGwire had some fun with his reply.

"I said, 'How ironic is it,'" McGwire said, "'that three or four years from now, Mason might be toeing the hill and making his debut against St. Louis in Wrigley Field?' How great would that be?"

The Cardinals' legend let out a laugh when asked whether he would be wearing a Cubs hat when that moment arrives.

"Absolutely," he said. "I'm looking through the internet trying to buy some Cubs apparel. So, yes, I will be donning Cubs apparel."
(07-19-2022, 01:23 PM)MrSheps Wrote: Am I correct that the team has gone from not drafting many pitchers to almost only drafting pitchers this season, or are the first round picks of recent coloring this notion? I assume part of this (if true) is the belief that they now can better develop pitching than they could years back, but curious about other factors that have led to the change.
You're right, they went heavy upside pitching this year.
16 of the Cubs 20 drafted players are pitchers
Jed said something on all the pitchers drafted about wanting to get the position players in the system ABs, and not wanting to take them away with new guys unless those new bats were significant upgrades. Makes some sense I suppose, they have to balance out things eventually.
Only problem with that logic is that injuries and other unforeseen things happen. Plus this organization has had an atrocious track record of developing position players since 2017 or so. Seems bizarre to go so heavily toward one side and not try to go with a more balanced approach.
Cubs sign 19 out of 20 draft picks with $5 to spare.

They signed Jackson Ferris for the overslot value of $3,005,000. Slot 47 value is $1,661,200.

Horton agreed to $4.5 mil which is equivalent to 14th pick and Jackson is equivalent to a 23rd pick. I just hope overlooking picks such as Parada and Lee to secure Jackson will work out for us. However looking at his HS stats at IMG and video's of his pitching, this could be a pearler of a pick.
I hadn't seen they signed Ferris, that's good news.