Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Team
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MrSheps" data-cid="351102" data-time="1570329719">
That's a well done letter.

Except for the two missing apostrophes and "impactful".</blockquote>It's so funny, I almost wrote that as well. ?
In fairness to Mr. Ricketts, the missing apostrophes were my fault. For some reason apostrophes and quotation marks don't always carry over for me with copy/paste.
Assumed as much.

Didn't think Mr. Ricketts was at war with the apostrophe.
Some highlights of another Q&A with Mooney and Sharma.

Q:  Who do you think ultimately ends up the manager of the Cubs next year?

M:  David Ross.

S:  Ross

Q:  Is signing Castellanos a priority for the team?

S:  I think they'd love to have him back. but let's see how their finances are and what Nick's market is.

M:  It's definitely on the radar. We'll see what Scott Boras has up his sleeve, and how much financial flexibility Theo actually has this winter, but it's clear that there's mutual interest.

Q:  Who gets extended? Javy or KB?

M:  Javy appears to be the more likely target.

Q: Everyone’s talking about moving Bryant or Baez. I love Contreras but Catarini showed he’s good where if we trade Contreras Catarini may be ready to be the starter and we sign, say, Grandal or another veteran backup.  Thoughts?

S:  writing on contreras for tomorrow and will touch on this. probably will dig into it more come november, but I don't think that's a crazy idea at all. all depends on what they can get in return and what the plan is in free agency.

Q:  Do you believe one of our five starters next year will come from our farm system? A few had strong debuts this year on the major league stage.

S:  I'd be surprised if they start the season with an SP from their system. We know Darvish, Lester, Hendricks and Q are likely back. I would think Chatwood gets first dibs at a starting spot. Even if they trade someone, let's say Q, I would guess it happens because they acquire another arm they want to insert into the rotation. Mills/Alzolay/Abbott/Graveman should be their starter depth, imo.

Q:  What kind of return could the Cubs expect for Albert Almora Jr. if they moved him? Are Theo and Jed ready to move on from their first first-round pick with the Cubs? Or will a new manager be the answer to kickstarting him?

S:  uh, is there another Wi(e)ck to be acquired? I don't think one of the worst offensive players in baseball who proved to be about average, maybe slightly more on defense, is going to fetch very much. unless the cubs know something about his development that we don't, i'd be surprised if he's back as anything more than outfield depth option.

M:  Seriously doubt that Almora will be back with the Cubs next season.

Q:  Chances KB gets moved? What would the return look like?

M:  Like one in a hundred? This front office always takes a never-say-never attitude, but it's hard to envision a deal lining up that makes sense for the Cubs (especially since Theo wants to win a World Series next year).

Q:  How do you envision the team getting younger in the pitching department more internal or could they go all in on Gerrit Cole?

S:  I would think it'll happen via trade. getting Cole would be a pretty big surprise. I don't think they're going to be shopping at the very top of FA with Cole and Rendon

Q:  Talking heads on the radio were saying Ross is a YES man.. Any truth to that?

M:  Ross is tight with Theo/Jed and certain players, but he's not a Maddon clone or a front-office suit. He's extremely confident in his leadership abilities and wouldn't leave his comfortable existence to be a yes man.

Q:  What do you believe are the odds that castellanos resigns with the cubs?

M:  The Cubs have a good shot. The Cubs waited until the final minutes before the trade deadline and didn't have to give up an overwhelming package of pitching prospects. Castellanos loved playing at Wrigley. Theo loved watching Castellanos play at Wrigley. All that said, the free-agent market has become very unpredictable and slow-moving.

Q:  Please tell me Russell is gone.

M:  Non-tendering Russell seems like a logical move for the Cubs.

Q:  How much financial room do the Cubs have to play with this offseason? Biggest position priority?

M:  It's not completely clear at this point. But the Cubs have a ton of existing commitments and Theo has said that the Marquee launch won't significantly change next year's budget for baseball operations.

Q:  Who most realistically do you see being traded this off season? It seems as if someone will go.

M:  Schwarber, Almora, Happ, Bote could be moved (with Russell non-tendered).

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I don't see how moving Schwarber makes this team better unless you sign Castellanos, and that would also take a big bite out of payroll in the process. Doesn't seem like the return (reliever or maybe high risk minor league SP?) for Kyle would be worth it. The FO wouldn't exactly be selling high on the other names mentioned either, so that would be a disappointing offseason if that is the extent of the roster purge.
I hope they have a lot more planned than was in that speculation.

It's really great that they're managing our expectations re: the Marquee launch. Man, they just barely missed the massive payout boat in terms of TV deals. This is shaping up to be another brutal offseason...

I don't know if they've missed the payout boat as much as they are just looking to profit from it differently (less upfront in exchange for more ownership/control and greater share in profits later on).  But that's speculation, as I haven't seen much concrete on the deal.  I'd still like to know what money is guaranteed and what is based on carriage agreements and ad sales.  The info may be out there now, but it wasn't when first announced, at least not in the same way the specifics on some of the other teams' deals was available.  

Maybe...but do you think if they were offered the same deal the Dodgers got, they wouldn't prefer that insane money and ditch the Marquee thing altogether? Pretty sure the Ricketts would take that $7-8 billion in a heartbeat.

I decided to watch Game 5 of the World Series tonight. I forgot how good this game was.
Quote:Maybe...but do you think if they were offered the same deal the Dodgers got, they wouldn't prefer that insane money and ditch the Marquee thing altogether? Pretty sure the Ricketts would take that $7-8 billion in a heartbeat.
Yes, very good point. I doubt they had that many billions on the table. It's possible they valued control over insane upfront riches, but you're right, it's more likely that sort of deal wasn't there because the bubble has waned and/or because the Dodgers are now the cautionary tale. But who knows, they may see themselves as one day controlling a network that also broadcasts the Bulls or the Bears or the Hawks or all three. Live sports is still a smart play according to most because it's rarely time shifted, so commercials still matter. Maybe they are thinking the long game? But again, I think you're probably right and this whole thing happening 2 or 3 years ago would have been better.
An NSBB poster has suggested trading Contreras for Tommy Pham.

If it's Pham + a prospect or two, I might like that trade.
I'm not so sure about that. Depends on the prospects, obviously...but Pham being 32 next season (vs Contreras being 28) makes me far less interested.

Health is a concern for both of them, but Pham would add defense, speed and a nice bat in the OF. I still like Contreras a lot, but being a catcher he's probably going to continue to wear down in his late 20's, and his framing is still sub-par. I don't know, if you're going to trade from the core, he's probably the most likely to go and could net us the highest return. Not saying Pham is it, but it's not crazy to start there. Plus, he's controlled for another 3 seasons just like Willy.