Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Team
I would also add that no one knows how to evaluate Ross. He's been through 2 very bizarre years (pandemic shortened and then a selloff) with mixed results. Maybe Jed should wait until his GM is in place and factor in their objective input before determining who is going to lead the franchise for the next half a decade.
Quote:I would also add that no one knows how to evaluate Ross. He's been through 2 very bizarre years (pandemic shortened and then a selloff) with mixed results. Maybe Jed should wait until his GM is in place and factor in their objective input before determining who is going to lead the franchise for the next half a decade.
This is a valid point I didn't think of, you're right it's weird they aren't waiting for the new GM hire before trying to extend the manager.
My cash would bet on a new GM prior to a Ross extension.

Expecting that Ross will receive an extension just prior to Spring Training / end of Spring Training but GM announcement should happen right after World Series but it’s the Cubs so add a few weeks
I would hope so.  Maybe the plan is to make him the GM/Manager combo?

I would be surprised if Jed doesn't pick his new GM by the championship series round. All of the candidates mentioned by Mooney and Sharma are currently with organizations that have already been eliminated.
Thanks, yeah, those are good points.

Ross does seem fairly knowledgeable to me. Maybe the extension talk is to make the Cubs look like a better FA landing spot, considering the love players like Rizzo and Bryant had for him? Just throwing that out there.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Could be. I also don't doubt that Ross is more progressive and player friendly than most old school managers after having spent some time working in the FO. It's very difficult to separate his day-to-day decisions from what the analytics department is recommending to him, so maybe none of these points even matter other than the clubhouse stuff.
Yeah, for better or for worse, he could be exactly what the model of the modern manager is: a big brother to keep the players motivated.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Fair enough.  I would really like to see them knock the GM pick out of the park.