Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Spring Training
I haven't watched any Spring Training yet, but figured why not start a thread. Anyone going out to Mesa this year?
Seems like I've already watched more ST games this year than the last few springs combined. It's refreshing not giving a damn about the outcome while watching the young bucks try to make a mark. PCA has looked decent, and I'm intrigued by Shaw and Busch. Some nice arms on display too. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Shota. The broadcasts, however, have been pretty brutal. They had Boog and JD the first couple games, but since then it's been Zach Zaidman and other random jerkwads. You know it's bad when you start yearning for Boog and JD again lol
Zach Zaidman has to be a nepo baby of some sort.
(03-04-2024, 11:08 AM)Butcher Wrote: Zach Zaidman has to be a nepo baby of some sort.

lol

Has to be, otherwise he would've been canned years ago.
PCA optioned to AAA - Not surprised but earlier than I expected

Others included in first round of cuts include:

“outfielder Brennen Davis, right-hander Ben Brown and shortstop Luis Vazquez (to AAA.)

They optioned three players to Double-A Tennessee: pitchers Michael Arias and Porter Hodge and outfielder Kevin Alcantara.

The team assigned five non-roster invitees to minor-league camp: infielder Matt Shaw, outfielder Owen Caissie, pitchers Ethan Roberts and Riley Thompson and catcher Pablo Aliendo.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2024/03/08/...ining-cuts
Jesus, this sox broadcast feels like a weird combination of a lukewarm pep rally and a scripted season ticket commercial wrapped up with a giant bow of desperation. The new PBP guy feels like he's either not allowed to say anything about the Cubs or scared to do so at the risk of being fired. Every time Stone says something about a Cubs player, the other guy quickly shifts the topic to buttering up the Sox organization or stroking Steve's ego.

Edit: the rain put me out of my misery.
Sharma provides some great takeaways from Cubs spring training including:

- Suzuki’s bat could truly be elite
- Counsell‘s history of getting starters extra rest, Cubs pitching depth and impact on Shota
- PCA shouldn’t be written off due to early batting troubles. His D alone will make impact and bat may or may not come
- First base was such a black hole offensively last season so Cubs O should be OK even if Busch struggles
- Horton could be a stud. He’s been impressing folks
- don’t worrry about veteran relievers performance in spring training - believe this is more any veteran’s spring performance

https://theathletic.com/5345800/2024/03/...a-imagana/
I'm a big fan of Sharma's.
Me too except when he's giggling uncontrollably to all of Brett's jokes on their Onto Waveland podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't listened to the podcast.
Don't bother.

(03-17-2024, 04:27 PM)rok Wrote: Don't bother.

lol
Seiya is crushing lately. Hopefully he stays hot for awhile.
(03-25-2024, 05:22 PM)jeffy Wrote: Seiya is crushing lately. Hopefully he stays hot for awhile.

If he can carry his late 2023 season/spring training into 2024, he's going to have a monster year.
Getting additional power from the same player would a nice impact the team offense. Suzuki has the ability