Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Draft
What in green hell is the FO doing? I don’t understand the Wiggins pick at all, and there is barely any info at all on their 6-10th round selections. Shaw might be pretty good though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It’s the front office’s ‘we aren’t going to be around when these guys come close to sniffing the MLB’ draft
FWIW, Keith Law liked their first round pick a lot.
Now they picked a bunch of unknown 21-23 year-old JC/small college dudes in the 11-20th rounds. This sure seems like a "throw a bunch of shit at the wall and see what sticks" kind of draft. Doubt they will have trouble signing any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:Kantrovitz’s team took another calculated roll of the dice in the 16th round on Day 3, grabbing Campbell University lefty Daniel Brown for his “top-of-the-charts raw tools.” The Cubs’ VP of scouting said he expected the pick would “raise some eyebrows” from those following the Draft.

Here’s why: the 20-year-old Brown’s stat line across the 2022-23 seasons included 13 walks, 10 runs allowed, nine wild pitches, three strikeouts and two hit batsmen in a total of one inning pitched (six appearances). That said, Brown is a 6-foot-3 lefty with a huge fastball (clocked up to 102 mph), a nasty slider and a developing changeup. It’s a project the Cubs want to take on.

“He had a little difficulty finding the zone,” Kantrovitz said. “But to be fair to him, he probably didn't really get the chance that a guy with that kind of arm strength probably, in our estimation, deserved. And we want to give him that chance. To be able to touch triple digits from the left side, be able to spin the ball the way he does and just have the athleticism that he does, we're excited to work with him.”

(07-10-2023, 09:11 PM)rok Wrote: What in green hell is the FO doing? I don’t understand the Wiggins pick at all, and there is barely any info at all on their 6-10th round selections. Shaw might be pretty good though.

For what it's worth, Baseball America has 13 of the Cubs picks ranked in their top 315. I like to follow Wes Saver's draft tracker to keep up on signing rumors and such. The BA rankings are on this document as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...1784793561

Note the color key tab at the bottom that explains what the dark green and light green (among other colors) mean.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Matt Shaw is destroying single A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk