Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo(post=1133:date=Dec 3 2008, 08:39 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 3 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That still doesn't help us with our left handed bat that we need.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really a question for you, but a question in general... Why do we HAVE to have another left handed bat?
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=1150:date=Dec 3 2008, 11:19 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 3 2008, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1133:date=Dec 3 2008, 08:39 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 3 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That still doesn't help us with our left handed bat that we need.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really a question for you, but a question in general... Why do we HAVE to have another left handed bat?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Lou wants one so we're going to get one. I don't think it's a huge thing either, but if it's Ibanez, I'd much rather have him than Peavy. Anybody else(Abreu, Dunn, etc.), I'd probably rather have Peavy over them.
@TheBlogfines
<i><b>Not really a question for you, but a question in general... Why do we HAVE to have another left handed bat?</b></i>

The reality is that we do not <i>NEED</i> a LH bat, but we DO need to replace Jim Edmonds' production. His 18 Cub HR and great .OBP are a glaring need to fill. Now, whether we fill it with a LH hitting OF, a lead-off improvement, a RH hitting banger with high .OBP, or a switch-hitting OF line-drive hitter... the fact remains we need to fortify after a loss. Reed Johnson isn't going to become a 25HR presence in the line-up, and though Fukodome will likely improve on his 2008 debut season, we are still a hitter short.

With regard to Marquis, he is going to be easier to move than some think. He is in the last year of a contract, and while he is an expensive #4-5 starter, he was one of the more successful ones in the N.L. last year. Once the Winter Meetings are over and the top-teir FA pitchers get swallowed up, a guy like Marquis will look like (and in reality <i>BE</i>) a fine stop-gap starter for a team on the brink of contention. Remember, in about 2/3 of his starts, he looks dominating for about 6 innings. That's certainly marketable on the market, especially since he is only a 1-year commitment.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein
<!--quoteo(post=1153:date=Dec 3 2008, 10:34 PM:name=mindbodyspirit)-->QUOTE (mindbodyspirit @ Dec 3 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><i><b>Not really a question for you, but a question in general... Why do we HAVE to have another left handed bat?</b></i>

The reality is that we do not <i>NEED</i> a LH bat, but we DO need to replace Jim Edmonds' production. His 18 Cub HR and great .OBP are a glaring need to fill. Now, whether we fill it with a LH hitting OF, a lead-off improvement, a RH hitting banger with high .OBP, or a switch-hitting OF line-drive hitter... the fact remains we need to fortify after a loss. Reed Johnson isn't going to become a 25HR presence in the line-up, and though Fukodome will likely improve on his 2008 debut season, we are still a hitter short.

With regard to Marquis, he is going to be easier to move than some think. He is in the last year of a contract, and while he is an expensive #4-5 starter, he was one of the more successful ones in the N.L. last year. Once the Winter Meetings are over and the top-teir FA pitchers get swallowed up, a guy like Marquis will look like (and in reality <i>BE</i>) a fine stop-gap starter for a team on the brink of contention. Remember, in about 2/3 of his starts, he looks dominating for about 6 innings. That's certainly marketable on the market, especially since he is only a 1-year commitment.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Couldn't have said it better myself. If we're going to get another bat, might as well be a LH one, as long as it's a quality bat and not just someone to fill a perceived need.
Andy....I don't think we need a LH bat. But, as others have already said, Lou wants one and thinks we need one so we will get one. It sucks that Kosuke has fucked us over! If he would have produced just a little we probably wouldn't be looking for one, but he has fucked us. Of course, the non growth of Pie has screwed us a little too.

Fact of the matter is that IF Jim wants a hitter AND Peavy we should still be able to do it. We are going to have to send Marquis somewhere if we take on Peavy's salary, but there should still be money left over for Ibanez or Abreu. I am not sure which one I prefer, they would both look real good in the middle of the order.
It almost sounds like some people are saying they'd rather have a decent LH bat - like an Ibanez or Abreu - than Peavy. I'm not sure what I think, but I never thought it would be a question.

If we were talking about a stud LH hitter or Peavy, then the choice would be easy.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
You know, with the Braves picking up Vasquez, about to make a big offer to Burnett picking up Hampton, I don't see them going after Peavy now. This leaves the Cubs in the driver's seat. He'll either be a Cub (which we be freaking great) or stay with the Pads. With the Cubs talking to the Orioles about getting involved in the deal, who knows, perhaps we do get Roberts and Peavy, but what are we going to give up in order to

A ) Give enough value to make it happen
B ) Free up salary

I wonder if a higher salaried Cubs player may get involved in this deal.
Who's your daddy?
<!--quoteo(post=1174:date=Dec 4 2008, 06:38 AM:name=coolpoppa)-->QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 4 2008, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You know, with the Braves picking up Vasquez, about to make a big offer to Burnett picking up Hampton, I don't see them going after Peavy now. This leaves the Cubs in the driver's seat. He'll either be a Cub (which we be freaking great) or stay with the Pads. With the Cubs talking to the Orioles about getting involved in the deal, who knows, perhaps we do get Roberts and Peavy, but what are we going to give up in order to

B ) Free up salary

I wonder if a higher salaried Cubs player may get involved in this deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't see how we can get Peavy and Roberts, we don't have enough to trade.
I really don't think Roberts would be involved in the deal. We'll end up giving up 5 players (prospects and back end roster players) and Baltimore will pitch in 2 prospects.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=1153:date=Dec 3 2008, 10:34 PM:name=mindbodyspirit)-->QUOTE (mindbodyspirit @ Dec 3 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><i><b>Not really a question for you, but a question in general... Why do we HAVE to have another left handed bat?</b></i>

The reality is that we do not <i>NEED</i> a LH bat, but we DO need to replace Jim Edmonds' production. His 18 Cub HR and great .OBP are a glaring need to fill. Now, whether we fill it with a LH hitting OF, a lead-off improvement, a RH hitting banger with high .OBP, or a switch-hitting OF line-drive hitter... the fact remains we need to fortify after a loss. Reed Johnson isn't going to become a 25HR presence in the line-up, and though Fukodome will likely improve on his 2008 debut season, we are still a hitter short.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That I can buy into. I guess I understand situations where a lefty would be nice, but I really don't buy into the idea that you have to have 3-4 lefties in your lineup to win. I really don't think it matters if you have good hitters.
I got nothin'.

Andy
The only way Roberts could be included would be if we included someone like a Lilly, for example. I don't say that because either the O's or Pads would want him, just saying that's the kind of player that would have to be involved.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=1174:date=Dec 4 2008, 07:38 AM:name=coolpoppa)-->QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 4 2008, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You know, with the Braves picking up Vasquez, about to make a big offer to Burnett <b>picking up Hampton</b>, I don't see them going after Peavy now. This leaves the Cubs in the driver's seat. He'll either be a Cub (which we be freaking great) or stay with the Pads. With the Cubs talking to the Orioles about getting involved in the deal, who knows, perhaps we do get Roberts and Peavy, but what are we going to give up in order to

B ) Free up salary

I wonder if a higher salaried Cubs player may get involved in this deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hampton went to the Astros. Nevertheless, I agree with you that the Braves don't seem as interested in Peavy as they once were. Also, the minor league catcher they traded to the Sox was a key part of the deal they offered to SD.

I'm beginning to think we might get Peavy for less than he's worth since he has a big contract and teams aren't spending money. SD may be best served by hodling on to Peavy and trading him at the deadline. I don't think they want to pay him for a half season though.
<!--quoteo(post=1187:date=Dec 4 2008, 08:14 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 4 2008, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The only way Roberts could be included would be if we included someone like a Lilly, for example. I don't say that because either the O's or Pads would want him, just saying that's the kind of player that would have to be involved.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Done! If we get Peavy and Roberts I'd be more than happy to give up Lilly. Both the lineup and rotation would improve. The only problem is Lilly has 2 yrs left a $12M per year. I'm not sure Baltimore will want to pay that.
I wasn't around for the LA series. Do you guys not think that having no lefties in our lineup killed us? The face we didn't see one LHP during the entire series?
Yeah, I think that's my point... for Roberts to be included.... we'd have to give up an established well paid player.... it's a strange coincedence that it's the O's that we're talking to about getting in the middle of this trade. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Who's your daddy?