Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As it stands, are we better now than we were last year?
Perez at more than three years would scare me a lot.
Perez isn't going to be any cheaper this coming year than Peavy. If we have that kind of $$, all efforts should be focused on acquiring Peavy immediately. Same thing with Lowe, who I think would pitch well at Wrigley.

I have no interest in Redding (who was mentioned).

here's a list of available arms from chicagocubsonline. ^ is who I would even consider

* Mario Alvarez
* Matt Belisle
* Kris Benson
* Paul Byrd ^
* Shawn Chacon
* Bartolo Colon
* Shawn Estes
* Josh Fogg
* Freddy Garcia ^
* Jon Garland ^
* Tom Glavine
* Charles Haeger
* Livan Hernandez ^
* Orlando Hernandez
* Chuck James
* Jason Jennings
* Byung-Hyun Kim
* Jon Lieber
* Esteban Loaiza
* Braden Looper ^
* Derek Lowe ^
* Pedro Martinez ^
* Mark Mulder ^
* Russ Ortiz
* John Patterson ^
* Odalis Perez
* Oliver Perez ^
* Andy Pettitte
* Sidney Ponson
* Mark Prior
* Tim Redding
* Mark Redman
* Kenny Rogers
* Curt Schilling
* Ben Sheets ^
* John Smoltz
* Josh Towers
* Steve Trachsel
* Jeff Weaver
* Kip Wells
* Randy Wolf ^
* Jamey Wright
We better not even think about signing Looper just to have some guy who can make his starts at the end of the rotation.
If we can't get Peavy then Garland and Looper were the two names that stuck out to me as guys I could see Hendry going after.

Lowe and Perez are both, at least for now, demanding a ton of money.
Well Wittenmeyer is talking about Peavy again. But he also suggested Redding and Looper being better fits financially than Lowe. Screw that.
<!--quoteo(post=9738:date=Jan 7 2009, 10:14 AM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 7 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well Wittenmeyer is talking about Peavy again. But he also suggested Redding and Looper being better fits financially than Lowe. Screw that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd rather start Marshall than Redding
After Lowe and Peavy, the list is weak as hell. I'd take a chance on Sheets if he wasn't too pricey and we didn't already have Harden.
<!--quoteo(post=9741:date=Jan 7 2009, 10:17 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 7 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->After Lowe and Peavy, the list is weak as hell. I'd take a chance on Sheets if he wasn't too pricey and we didn't already have Harden.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed for the most part. Garland and Wolf are decent, Garcia would be worth a flier for cheap (see Pavano's contract).
It's Peavy or bust IMO. I guess Wolf wouldn't be awful just to have another LH to break up all the RHs, but other than that he doesn't do anything for me, and would probably be pricey too. I really don't like anyone on that list for $8mil+, so Peavy would still be the best value.
I'd take Sheets...

If we get Braden Looper or Tim Redding, I'm going screaming into the night.
<!--quoteo(post=9746:date=Jan 7 2009, 10:27 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jan 7 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd take Sheets...

If we get Braden Looper or Tim Redding, I'm going screaming into the night.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll be right there with you. You won't see me but you'll hear me.
<!--quoteo(post=9603:date=Jan 6 2009, 07:01 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 6 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9599:date=Jan 6 2009, 06:48 PM:name=HemisFear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HemisFear @ Jan 6 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Getting rid of Marquis is addition by subtraction. I am however very concerned about losing Woody and replacing him with Visciano. I don't know if this is a good move or not but it certainly doesn't "feel" like a good move.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We replaced Wood with Gregg, and they're pretty much equal.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Technically we replaced Wood with Marmol where as he will be doing the closing job now. We replaced Marmol with Gregg and we picked up Viscaino as well. I hope they can get it done but none of their numbers blow me away and when you factor in that Woody was a fan favorite and life long Cub the sentimental value of losing him really sucks.
<!--quoteo(post=9746:date=Jan 7 2009, 10:27 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jan 7 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd take Sheets...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That were dry.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=9745:date=Jan 7 2009, 10:23 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 7 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's Peavy or bust IMO. I guess Wolf wouldn't be awful just to have another LH to break up all the RHs, but other than that he doesn't do anything for me, and would probably be pricey too. I really don't like anyone on that list for $8mil+, so Peavy would still be the best value.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Randy Wolf's always hurt as well so I can't see it happening. Peavy makes the most sense not just because he's the best pitcher, but because he might be the only pitcher we can for sure fit into the payroll considering we'll also be sending back a couple million in what we're giving up.

He's only making 8 million this year. Lowe wants about 15 million a year and Perez in double-digits as well.

To me if you're not getting Peavy, just get any competent pitcher that can eat innings. Paul Byrd's a guy that can do that if he still wants to still pitch, but he declined arb from the Red Sox and would likely be 8 million+ himself.

However, unless we actually just wanted to add Vizcaino to the pen, it's hard to make sense out of dealing Marquis and then picking up a similar pitcher with a similar contract. Was Vizcaino really more appealing to any reliever on the market, many of which could likely be had for a cheaper price? I'm not buying that. Obviously this deal wasn't solely done to get Bradley, as we're now looking for a starting pitcher. I don't know how much clearer it could get that Hendry's still hoping to get Peavy.
@TheBlogfines
Mark Prior. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
[Image: lou.jpg]