Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Assasination of Jesse James
i thought it was pretty good over all but Casey Affleck was very good in it, i liked him in Gerry as well. Good supporting cast, Pitt was ok but the movie was a bit longer than i think necessary and i got a bit mixed up but that may have been because i had to watch it in 2 sittings. I'm going out on a limb here but i think this may be the only movie that can boast surprising (to me) cameos from Zooey Deschanel, James Carville and Nick Cave, who did the score as well.
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
Yeah, I liked it a lot too. I think I remember posting about it at the old site a while back. Not your typical Western, very talky, but in a good way. It's really a character study of James' killer, and it doesn't force you to choose whether to admire or hate the man. You almost feel sorry for him in a way. Well done. Very good cast with lots of small roles for excellent actors. The length didn't bother me at all, though I've read several reviews where critics blast the movie's pace. I think it works well for what this movie is supposed to be. I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.
I saw this a while ago...I meant to comment in this thread, but I forgot.

The scene where the actual assassination takes place was a beautiful work of art. The dust motes in the sunshine, Brad Pitt watching Casey Affleck in the reflection of the picture as he draws his pistol, the score... And the subsequent fallout where Affleck acts out the assassination over and over for an audience -- surreal.

It was a surprisingly emotional movie, given the subject matter. As mentioned, the cast was amazing. Definitely worth checking out. 4/5
This is an excellent movie.
There is a great speech at the end of the moment that sums up the whole movie. One of the better ones in recent films.
I always wanted to check this out but I had heard it was real slow. Is it?
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=123402:date=Dec 15 2010, 07:24 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 15 2010, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I always wanted to check this out but I had heard it was real slow. Is it?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It's pretty slow at times.
It can seem painfully slow, but if you enjoy excellent dialogue, then it should appeal to you. Slow doesn't always=boring, at least not in the movies I gravitate toward.
<!--quoteo(post=123416:date=Dec 15 2010, 08:44 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 15 2010, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It can seem painfully slow, but if you enjoy excellent dialogue, then it should appeal to you. Slow doesn't always=boring, at least not in the movies I gravitate toward.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tend to agree. I'll check this out.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=123416:date=Dec 15 2010, 08:44 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 15 2010, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It can seem painfully slow, but if you enjoy excellent dialogue, then it should appeal to you. Slow doesn't always=boring, at least not in the movies I gravitate toward.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Same here. I love movies about 18th century European aristocracy and they are almost always incredibly slow.