Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watchmen lawsuit settled
<!--quoteo(post=12677:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:22 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 20 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What's the difference between a graphic novel and a comic book?

Don't bother telling me the similarities - <b>I already know they're both read by dudes with no girlfriend.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Haha Fucking ouch!

The main difference is a graphic novel is typically longer and has a full story arc, as opposed to being spread over a number of issues. Also, GNs are targeted toward a more mature audience.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

I've never even heard of this until the movie started getting some hype. I guess it'll be tough for me to be disappointed when I go see it.
[Image: 080926_1205_boilerroom_HD.jpg]
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=12677:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:22 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 20 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What's the difference between a graphic novel and a comic book?

Don't bother telling me the similarities - I already know they're both read by dudes with no girlfriend.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've been telling my wife that I need a girlfriend but no dice. A graphic novel is just a really long comic book.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
it was weird, i haven't read the book, i've always wanted to and now i really have to. while i really liked the movie i always felt this depth or weight that the popularity of the book has. there are some scenes that i guarantee were shot to look just like they did in the book. again, this is coming from someone who has yet to read the book and that's where the weird part came in for me - certain parts felt like they were trying to be true to the book but just couldn't, either that or i just didn't follow a couple times. it's hard to explain, obviously, but it felt like a movie made from a book that wasn't supposed to be a movie. i know that's not very clear but the difference is that a lot of the time they just fuck up good books with bad movies and in my opinion, if the graphic novel is as good as it's supposed to be, i think it's possible that they have made a pretty good movie even if it's not completely up to the standards the novel set. from what i understand it was a pretty lofty undertaking and almost impossible to match up to the standards set by the book.

most of that didn't make sense. i've heard from more than one person that if you didn't read it, you won't "get" the movie and that's just not true. i got it, i just think the plot may have had a bit more impact throught the depth of the written word (and drawn pics). i thought it was really cool and seemed like it tried really hard not to besmirch the original material.
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
liner, I think you nailed it. The book has much more depth. In fact, the plot in Watchmen isn't even the most important part. The plot is merely a macguffin to explore the universe the characters exist in. A lot of the best and most interesting parts of the book are things that don't advance the plot at all, hence they were scrapped for the film. Basically...it looks like Watchmen, but it doesn't <i>feel</i> like Watchmen. The movie is, I feel, Watchmen stripped to the bare bones.

EDIT: I don't fully blame the makers for that, though, as I understand not every single detail from book could be incorporated. However, I wish they would have taken some shortcuts with the plot so the essence of the book may have been retained.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

What in the blue hell is a macguffin?
Plot device that motivates the characters, but is of relatively little importance to the audience. Like...the Maltese Falcon.

Wiki: macguffin

EDIT: In the case of Watchmen, it's who killed the Comedian and why.

I never read the comic, however I didn't really get into the movie. It was beautifuly filmed and had great fx, but there was something missing. I may have to check it out again when it hits dvd and has the "real full length" version.
I don't know why this movie was hated by so many people. Like its protagonists, it is a mixed bag, but definitely worth watching. I never felt bored during the entire 2 1/2 hour running time. The alternate reality was great without being overly preachy or full of propaganda, and the plot, while hard to follow at times given the laundry list of names to keep track of (especially Watchmen civilian names), has a great payoff. It is necessary. Maybe people are pre-conditioned to expect a happy ending or some sort of redemption in every big budget movie, especially comic book/superhero films. Sorry, but this movie was very well done, and I would change very little about it. 4/5 stars.
I saw it recently and didn't really care for it. It kept my interest but I was pretty lost a lot of the time and I thought there was some pretty bad acting throughout, especially Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan - what a vanilla performance that was. I dunno, maybe if I knew any of the details of the story and the characters going into it I'd have liked it better. That still wouldn't have made up for some pretty piss poor acting though.
I saw it on a recent plane flight, and I liked it. I never read the comic book, and all I had heard about the movie was bad.
I like you guys a lot.
i just recently read the book and i think they did a good job of bringing it to the screen. now i guess i need to see the movie again.
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
I never read the graphic novel either, but what I do know is that Dr Manhattan isn't supposed to be Mr Personality. I thought the rest of the acting was fine aside from Viedt or whatever his name was from the big corporation. He just looked and acted ridiculously cheesy in just about every scene. Otherwise, I have no complaints about the movie.

Maybe you have to be a child of the 80s to appreciate the story more.
I just watched it. good movie. the ending could have been better.
[Image: lou.jpg]