Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wuertz to the A's
I agree with KB on this one, he had kind of a down year last year but he was solid for a few years in a row before that. Either way he wasn't going to make our roster so I guess it doesn't matter.
<!--quoteo(post=15511:date=Feb 2 2009, 03:47 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Feb 2 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It should be noted, BTW, that Wuertz is a not remotely as bad as you guys make him out to be. He had a down year last year...not unlike Heilman. The 2 years before that, he was pretty damn good.

Like we all saw last year, the big thing was his control...he just walked too many batters, and didn't K enough. Was he hurt at all? Not a big injury, but any nagging little things? There must have been <i>something</i> going on, because for his entire career, he had averaged over a strike-out per inning, and last year, he didn't come close to that.

And even <i>with</i> all those troubles, his ERA+ was 123 last year...in other words, well above average for a ML pitcher.

(I know, I know...stats are 100% bullshit, worthless, and communist. And I agree that in some cases, like Wuertz's, they don't tell the whole story. But they do give you a little more information than just Ruby saying "He's a turd!")<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There wasn't anything wrong with him. The league finally got smart and hitters started taking most of his sliders, which is his only good pitch, and which are mostly out of the zone anyway. If AL hitters take the same approach, he's gonna suck something fierce for the A's too.
Somewhere, CoolPoppa is crying....

Not that it's relevant to this particular trade, but in ref. to Guzman, I agree with whoever said that Hendry's biggest failure is waiting too long to trade prospects.
Glad he is gone.He sucks and is one ugly mofo.
[Image: lou.jpg]
[quote][ Hendry's biggest failure is waiting too long to trade prospects./quote]

That aint no shit.
I wish I had an extra crystal ball to give him.
Then he'd really be awesome.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
Maybe he's continuing to cut payroll in order to sign Manny.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
Not only does Hendry get something for Wuertz (any team can have him for free when he is put on waivers), he sends him to the AL. Last thing we want to see is Alf striking out on a Wuertz slider. Same with sending Hill to the O's. There is no need to have these players come back and face the Cubs.
I like you guys a lot.
<!--quoteo(post=15609:date=Feb 2 2009, 07:55 PM:name=Captain)-->QUOTE (Captain @ Feb 2 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe he's continuing to cut payroll in order to sign Manny.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And you, my friend, have just solved the offseason mystery. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bow.gif[/img]
There are some genuine bargains out there to be had this year. But I can't see how any of them would be a good fit. Orlando Hudson would be a nice middle infielder, but I actually feel like the LSU duo can handle the gig, and for a whole lot cheaper.

Manny, Dunn, Abreu...everyone would love to see them in your batting order, nobody wants to see them anywhere near a fielder's glove. And they're all a little too pricey to sign as part-time players.

Juan Cruz would be awesome, but would cost us a draft-pick (only a 2nd-rounder though, correct?)
The only real "hole" we have is in CF, but there aren't any decent CFers available. Maybe we'll be looking at Ballgame again in May if he remains unsigned, and Fuk continues burrowing into the ground.

Would I like to have Ben Sheets? Who wouldn't? But we seem to have a pretty strict budget, and he'll likely still be able to get a pricey salary.

You know what would be a cool thing to do (and yeah, I know it sounds crazy): sign Sheets, and then use him and Harden to alternate starts all season long. Much lower chance of injury, both would likely kick ass, and they'd both be fresh for October. And if we have $12 mil for Peavy, why not 8-10 mil for Sheets?

OK, that's a KB idea, admittedly. I just don't know who else the Cubs can consider adding to the roster at this point. Well, I do, but we already traded him to Cleveland.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
A KB idea isn't alternating Sheets and Harden, it's alternating Sheets and Harden at shortstop and then blaming Hendry for global warming.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
The problem with a Sheets/Harden swap is that it takes up a roster spot. So we'd probably have to go with 13 pitchers, which leaves things a little short with batters. That and it would never happen. Though it would be one hell of a lineup.
I got nothin'.

Andy
I'd rather go in with what we have, save this money, and see what our real needs are in June or July. Hendry's always able to work his magic then. Plus by then we'll surely have at least a prospect or two making a name for themselves. We can afford to do this more than anybody in the league simply because of our division. Somebody's sure to get hurt or disappoint. We don't have any glaring needs right now.
@TheBlogfines
FWIW, I'm not crazy about trading away our best (only?) prospect, Vitters. Even for Peavy.
Like Clapp said, we don't have any glaring holes on our team right now.

If in June or July, we decide that the rotation is weak, I'm pretty certain that there will be quite a few options on the trade market. There always are.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
This is a dark day.... a dark day indeed.
Who's your daddy?
I sometimes wondered why batters ever swung facing Wuertz.