Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantasy Keepers
We're in the process of dropping players and we have to have our two keepers selected here in the next few weeks. Here are the guys I have left.

Webb
Johan Santana
Felix Hernandez
Liriano

Hardy
Chipper
Bay
Beltran
Howard
Ian Stewart...I really don't intend on keeping him but he just managed to survive my last roster cut.

What two guys would you hang onto? I kept Webb and Santana last year.
<!--quoteo(post=17984:date=Feb 14 2009, 05:57 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Feb 14 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We're in the process of dropping players and we have to have our two keepers selected here in the next few weeks. Here are the guys I have left.

Webb
Johan Santana
Felix Hernandez
Liriano

Hardy
Chipper
Bay
Beltran
Howard
Ian Stewart...I really don't intend on keeping him but he just managed to survive my last roster cut.

What two guys would you hang onto? I kept Webb and Santana last year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Johan for sure and either Webb or Beltran depending on the scoring system.
I know strategy for a keeper league is different, but I'd go Howard and Johan.

Ryan Howard would go first of those players in a regular draft at least. His average draft position on Mock Draft Central is 11th. If you get him, you're likely to be in very good shape in homers and RBI. He doesn't turn 30 until November, and plays in a hitter-friendly park, so you're likely to get at least 3-5 more very productive years out of him.

Santana's ADP is 17th

Beltran is 22nd

Bay is 34th

Webb is 44th

Chipper is 50th, but too old to keep.

Liriano is 69th. I'd be scared away from him after the arm injury.

Felix is 90th, but of course his keeper value is much higher than that.

Hardy is 117th

Not too many people will keep pitchers, so you'll likely get the chance to draft at least one of Webb, Felix, and Liriano. If you keep Howard though, you better get a few guys that you are pretty sure will hit .300+.
@TheBlogfines
Yeah I'm a little torn on who to keep with Santana. I kept Webb last year just because I really didn't have any other better choices.
It's a head-to-head league by the way. I'll post all the different categories in a little while.
This wouldn't be good for Beltran's fantasy value
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Luis Castillo may bat leadoff for the Mets. Potentially, Carlos Beltran could bat second and Jose Reyes third. It may make more sense to bat Carlos Delgado fourth and David Wright fifth in that scenario, since otherwise the Mets would be stacking a ton of lefties at the bottom of the order.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=17987:date=Feb 14 2009, 05:46 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 14 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I know strategy for a keeper league is different, but I'd go Howard and Johan.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
Thanks guys. Our scoring goes like this.

Hitters

1B - Singles
2B - Doubles
3B - Triples
BA - Batting Average
BB+HBP - Walks + Hit by Pitch
E - Errors
FPCT - Fielding Pct
H - Hits
HR - Home Runs
KO - Strikeouts (Batter)
R - Runs
RBI - Runs Batted In
SB - Stolen Bases

Pitchers

BBI+HB - Walks + Hit by Pitch
BS - Blown Saves
ER - Earned Runs
ERA - Earned Run Average
HA - Hits Allowed
HD - Holds
INN - Innings
K - Strikeouts (Pitcher)
QS - Quality Starts
S - Saves
W - Wins
WHIP - Walks + Hits / Inning
WoHo - Workhorse: CG+SO+NH
Wow, that's a lot of categories. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
@TheBlogfines
Based on those categories, I'd go with Howard too. I'm used to head-to-head points leagues where Howard's K's really drive down his value, but with that scoring, Clapp's right; you'd be sitting pretty in HR and RBI already.
Anyone have any idea what kind of PT Ian Stewart is going to get? I have him in another keeper league, and I basically have to keep him or cut bait after having him for about 5 years.

The bitch is, I was on my way to our draft, in the car, running a bit late, 5 or so years ago. I had all of my rookie picks ranked, and typed out. To be a nice guy, I agreed to do the rookie draft while driving to the draft, in order to speed things up. It got to my pick, and I said to the guy on the phone "I'm forgetting someone, there was a guy I really wanted, but I can't get to my computer to see who it was". Finally, I had to go with the guy I remembered, and I picked Stewart. The NEXT guy says "David Wright". I immediately realized that was the guy I was forgetting. So I say to the guys, "Wait, that is the guy I wanted. I have WRITTEN proof he was next on my list, I TOLD you there was a guy I was forgetting, and since it's the very next pick, no one would be screwed if I got him instead. I can't see a reason why it would be unfair if I got him. " They took a vote, and told me I was screwed.

Long story short, the other guy wins 2 out of the next 3 years, and I sit here 5 years later trying to figure out if Stewart will get 300 at bats.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=18276:date=Feb 17 2009, 08:42 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Feb 17 2009, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Anyone have any idea what kind of PT Ian Stewart is going to get? I have him in another keeper league, and I basically have to keep him or cut bait after having him for about 5 years.

The bitch is, I was on my way to our draft, in the car, running a bit late, 5 or so years ago. I had all of my rookie picks ranked, and typed out. To be a nice guy, I agreed to do the rookie draft while driving to the draft, in order to speed things up. It got to my pick, and I said to the guy on the phone "I'm forgetting someone, there was a guy I really wanted, but I can't get to my computer to see who it was". Finally, I had to go with the guy I remembered, and I picked Stewart. The NEXT guy says "David Wright". I immediately realized that was the guy I was forgetting. So I say to the guys, "Wait, that is the guy I wanted. I have WRITTEN proof he was next on my list, I TOLD you there was a guy I was forgetting, and since it's the very next pick, no one would be screwed if I got him instead. I can't see a reason why it would be unfair if I got him. " They took a vote, and told me I was screwed.

Long story short, the other guy wins 2 out of the next 3 years, and I sit here 5 years later trying to figure out if Stewart will get 300 at bats.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd hang onto him. I think Stewart is competing with Barmes and Baker at 2B, but has been working on playing LF, and should have eligibility at 3B... Sounds like the Rockies want him to replace Holliday's bat in LF. He did really well filling in for Atkins last season, so I see no reason for them not to give him every opportunity to start this season. The only thing that's odd was his K's last year, but he still posted a nice OBP (90 points higher than his BA), so I wouldn't be surprise to really see him turn the corner as a hitter. I bet he winds up with 25hr's and 100rbi
Yeah I think he'll be starting somewhere, likely LF and will almost surely be eligible at 3b like CC said. If Helton's not ready for opening day, Atkins will start at 1B it sounds like and Stewart will start at 3B. The guy can flat out hit and they've been holding him back long enough, expect 400+ at bats.
@TheBlogfines
Yeah he's a guy I'm going to try picking back up in the draft. I picked him up last season and once I traded Zimmerman and Hudson, I played him a lot more and he helped a ton for a while.