Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your favorite unobvious Cub moments?
I was at a game a couple of years ago and it was the first week of the season. It was april 9th and it was the first sunday night game of the year. They were playing the cardinals and it was very cold. Jaque got his firs hit as a cub which was a three run homerun into center. It either tied the game or brought it real close. Rolen then hit a homerun for the cards and put them up again. Barrett then hit the grand slam and the place went absolutely crazy. It was a good game to be at.
<!--quoteo(post=23855:date=Mar 18 2009, 01:31 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Mar 18 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In 2005 when we swept the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. That whole week was beautiful. On the last game of the LA series, DLee went 5 for 5, including the game winning HR. His average went from like .370 to .390.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd--> I was at that game, it was awesome. He became my favorite current Cub that series.
I was at the Cub Cardinal game in St Louis when Neifi hit that grand slam in extra's. That one will always stick with me.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
i believe that the pitcher that grace slugged was the cardinals jeff pico.

remember andre dawson taking a called third strike and going ballistic. he threw armfuls of bats onto the field like they were tooth picks. later in the game doug daszenso laid down a bunt and rob dibble threw it at him as he ran down the line.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=23844:date=Mar 18 2009, 02:55 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Mar 18 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=23842:date=Mar 18 2009, 02:50 PM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Mar 18 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Mongo McMichael game. Ron Coomer getting into it with Angel Hernandez, McMichael being thrown out of the park by Hernandez after singing the 7th inning stretch, <b>the crazy ass final play in the bottom of the ninth</b> and having first row tickets right by the Cubs on deck circle to watch the game. Friggin awesome!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Was that when Gutierrez stumbled around third on his way home?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, that's the one.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=23866:date=Mar 18 2009, 03:02 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 18 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That game in '03 when Alfonseca stormed out of the bullpen and belly bumped an umpire and got tossed. I think it was over an Alou double down the line being called foul. Was that in the Cards series? That was comedy gold.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Was that the five game series where Pujols dropped a ball in the outfield too?

One of my favorite Cubs moments is Neifi Perez getting us into the 1998 playoffs. I went to the last series (In Houston I think?) and I remember sitting around after we lost the last game... and the series and being sad because we didn't get into the playoffs. Then, literally 10-15 minutes later, the scoreboard changed and the Rockies had won. There was maybe 800 people left in the stadium, most of the Cub fans, waiting to see who would win the SF-Col game. The 500 or so Cub fans started cheering and jumping up and down because we had a one game playoff coming.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=23878:date=Mar 18 2009, 04:33 PM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Mar 18 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I was at the Cub Cardinal game in St Louis when Neifi hit that grand slam in extra's. That one will always stick with me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I was at that game too! The last Cubs game at old Busch stadium I believe. At least the last one I was at. That ball stuck in the netting of the foul pole about 5 inches above the wall.

Not a favorite, and I'll try to find the picture, but I snapped a shot at the exact moment Sosa's corked filled bat exploded against the Rays.

One of my favorites was opening day '96 I believe. It was Sandbergs return, extra inning Grace walk off single
<!--quoteo(post=23963:date=Mar 18 2009, 08:06 PM:name=Tailgater)-->QUOTE (Tailgater @ Mar 18 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=23878:date=Mar 18 2009, 04:33 PM:name=Jody)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jody @ Mar 18 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I was at the Cub Cardinal game in St Louis when Neifi hit that grand slam in extra's. That one will always stick with me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I was at that game too! The last Cubs game at old Busch stadium I believe. At least the last one I was at. That ball stuck in the netting of the foul pole about 5 inches above the wall.
I was at the game as well, only time I've been to St. Louis. I went with my friend who is a diehard Cardinals fan. Oh was that was a fun night.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=23895:date=Mar 18 2009, 04:59 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 18 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i believe that the pitcher that grace slugged was the cardinals jeff pico.

remember andre dawson taking a called third strike and going ballistic. he threw armfuls of bats onto the field like they were tooth picks. later in the game doug daszenso laid down a bunt and rob dibble threw it at him as he ran down the line.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. It was Frank DiPino.

<!--quoteo(post=23877:date=Mar 18 2009, 02:29 PM:name=MrSheps)-->QUOTE (MrSheps @ Mar 18 2009, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=23855:date=Mar 18 2009, 01:31 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Mar 18 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In 2005 when we swept the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. That whole week was beautiful. On the last game of the LA series, DLee went 5 for 5, including the game winning HR. His average went from like .370 to .390.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd--> I was at that game, it was awesome. He became my favorite current Cub that series.
Definitely agree. That whole week/month was the DLee show.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
I remember a game in 2003. I can't even remember who it was against, but the Cubs were down by one going into the bottom of the ninth. Sammy and Alou were due up. Sammy tied the game and Alou won it, each with one swing of the bat.

Another one was a fantastic play made by Ramon Martinez. He was running out into left field to make a play from SS and misjudged the trajectory. He ended up having to swing his glove backwards behind him and make the catch. If not for the fact that it was a misplayed ball, it was probably one of the most impressive defensive plays I can remember.
1976 Madlock winning the Batting title on the final day with a 4 for 4 -- I was there.

15 straight years of going to opening days starting in 1975

1979 Cubs Phils Slugfest with Kingman hitting 3 homers -- Cubs lose 23-22
Link to box score
I watched on WGN

1984 Cubs win division -- I was at ISU and the Cub Fans went down to the Football stadium, and tore down the goal post.
They also had a kegger at the main intersection of town, blocking traffic. I loved ISU (That's Illinois State University)

2003 Woody's homer in the playoffs, and the one Sammy hit over the TV booth in center.

2006 Barret punches AJ

All of the Harry and Sammy years.
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
<!--quoteo(post=23974:date=Mar 18 2009, 07:50 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Mar 18 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I remember a game in 2003. I can't even remember who it was against, but the Cubs were down by one going into the bottom of the ninth. Sammy and Alou were due up. Sammy tied the game and Alou won it, each with one swing of the bat.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Against the Reds I believe.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=23985:date=Mar 18 2009, 10:01 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Mar 18 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=23974:date=Mar 18 2009, 07:50 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Mar 18 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I remember a game in 2003. I can't even remember who it was against, but the Cubs were down by one going into the bottom of the ninth. Sammy and Alou were due up. Sammy tied the game and Alou won it, each with one swing of the bat.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Against the Reds I believe.
Yup. Early season game if I remember
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
The last time I had a pleasant feeling towards Fuk: last summer, at the SOITOW game, he cracked one down the RF line for a dinger. From where we were all sitting, it was directly in our line of vision, and we could clearly see the trajectory of the ball.

I remember during the game saying to Ace, "I just want to see 1 Cubbie homer today, that'd make my day," and Fuk came through. Lots of screaming and high fives ensued.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance