Poll: Grade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
3.13%
1 3.13%
B
31.25%
10 31.25%
C
56.25%
18 56.25%
D
9.38%
3 9.38%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hendry's offseason grade
Just saying, Dempster's deal appears to be way over market value. If Hendry would have waited he could have easliy saved enough on Dempster contract to retain DeRosa.

However, I really don't think the DeRosa deal was about money (even though Hendry said it was). I think Hendry wanted to get more LH and wanted to give Fontenot more ABs. He knew DeRosa's value was as high as it ever would be and liked the pitchers he was offered in return. I don't think Hendry wanted the conflict of sitting DeRosa more when Fontenot got the starts.
<!--quoteo(post=25359:date=Mar 27 2009, 07:38 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Mar 27 2009, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just saying, Dempster's deal appears to be way over market value. If Hendry would have waited he could have easliy saved enough on Dempster contract to retain DeRosa.

However, I really don't think the DeRosa deal was about money (even though Hendry said it was). I think Hendry wanted to get more LH and wanted to give Fontenot more ABs. He knew DeRosa's value was as high as it ever would be and liked the pitchers he was offered in return. I don't think Hendry wanted the conflict of sitting DeRosa more when Fontenot got the starts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Was there any doubt that Dempster would leave? I never once lost sleep over it, which makes it frustrating why they blew money on him by not waiting, yet didn't wait for values to drop, like Abreu's for example(not saying he was Hendry's target, I'm just pointing out that money could have been saved).
As for DeRosa, I think Hendry was trying to sell-high for him on a career year, however I think he could have gotten more. The Indians basically got Casey Blake 2.0 for nothing so it gives the facade of salary dump, especially coinciding with Miles.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=25335:date=Mar 27 2009, 07:11 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 27 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25332:date=Mar 27 2009, 04:32 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 27 2009, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Clappie, I think that if you polled this site, 95 to 100% of the people would say that we're likely going to win the division. And this site isn't known for blithe optimism. So, I think you're preaching to the choir about our chances of winning the Central.

But the question wasn't "Did Jim do barely enough to scrape by to win baseball's weakest division?" It asked for a grade. I disagree with Runnys that you have to wait until the season's over the evaluate the GM's moves...did it take anyone more than 5 minutes to "evaluate" the $126 Million Zito signing? Some things are pretty obvious.

I think the consensus is that Jim did a decent, but hardly stellar job. C-grade.
<b>If Heilman wins 17 games and Bako and Gathright hit .340, then we'll all be glad to have been wrong.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the last line of your post is just retarded. they're backup players and relievers. they weren't brought here to win 17 games or bat .340. c'mon kb, are you serious when you say stuff like that?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dude, when you gave up the Comic Lord title, did you also completely give up your sense of humor? Your question to me was "are you serious?" Think about that; I just proposed Paul Bako hitting .340, and you have to ask if I'm fucking <i>serious</i>?

It was a joke. A dumb one, but an obvious one. Half the time when I'm discussing Hendry, I'm just pulling Clappie's leg. He knows what's going on.
But since we're being 100% literal, in answer to your question, No, I wasn't being serious.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=25380:date=Mar 27 2009, 01:12 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 27 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25335:date=Mar 27 2009, 07:11 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 27 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25332:date=Mar 27 2009, 04:32 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 27 2009, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Clappie, I think that if you polled this site, 95 to 100% of the people would say that we're likely going to win the division. And this site isn't known for blithe optimism. So, I think you're preaching to the choir about our chances of winning the Central.

But the question wasn't "Did Jim do barely enough to scrape by to win baseball's weakest division?" It asked for a grade. I disagree with Runnys that you have to wait until the season's over the evaluate the GM's moves...did it take anyone more than 5 minutes to "evaluate" the $126 Million Zito signing? Some things are pretty obvious.

I think the consensus is that Jim did a decent, but hardly stellar job. C-grade.
<b>If Heilman wins 17 games and Bako and Gathright hit .340, then we'll all be glad to have been wrong.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the last line of your post is just retarded. they're backup players and relievers. they weren't brought here to win 17 games or bat .340. c'mon kb, are you serious when you say stuff like that?
Dude, when you gave up the Comic Lord title, did you also completely give up your sense of humor? Your question to me was "are you serious?" Think about that; I just proposed Paul Bako hitting .340, and you have to ask if I'm fucking <i>serious</i>?

It was a joke. A dumb one, but an obvious one. Half the time when I'm discussing Hendry, I"m just pulling Clappie's leg. He knows what's going on.
But since we're being 100% literal, in answer to your question, No, I wasn't being serious.

i apologize, but you have to admit that you've made some outlandish statements in the past.
Wang.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->i apologize, but you have to admit that you've made some outlandish statements in the past.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
tommy, you're like a brother to me, so no apology is necessary.
But I <i>am</i> going to continue to take you to task, as long as you keep flinging stuff out there, so:
Name one "outlandish statement" I've made about baseball. Literally, <i>one.</i>
As Kid and I and others have found out over the past few years, when it comes to the internet, "tone" (or timbre, inflection, whatever you want to call it) is hugely important. In that regard, some of my past posts have sounded unduly sarcastic, or hysterical, or like Chicken Little...I admit that, and have tried to keep a lid on that stuff.

But if you strip those posts from the frilly stuff, and get down to the meat of the matter, I don't recall saying anything "outlandish." They <i>are</i> opinions, and those opinions may differ from your opinions, but that's the nature of a chat forum.

Here are some things I can recall, and you tell me how outlandish they really are:
-Hendry has made some weird moves, like trading DeRosa.
-Adam Dunn is a better hitter than he's given credit for.
-Isturis is a poor hitter.
-Kevin Gregg isn't quite as good a pitcher as Kerry Wood.
-Ichiro is damn good, but is overrated.
-Dusty Baker doesn't seem to play the right guys, and may be too old-school for the modern game.

Yeah, I admit, every one of those statements in controversial. Polarizing even.
But outlandish?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=25378:date=Mar 27 2009, 12:06 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Mar 27 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25359:date=Mar 27 2009, 07:38 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Mar 27 2009, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just saying, Dempster's deal appears to be way over market value. If Hendry would have waited he could have easliy saved enough on Dempster contract to retain DeRosa.

However, I really don't think the DeRosa deal was about money (even though Hendry said it was). I think Hendry wanted to get more LH and wanted to give Fontenot more ABs. He knew DeRosa's value was as high as it ever would be and liked the pitchers he was offered in return. I don't think Hendry wanted the conflict of sitting DeRosa more when Fontenot got the starts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Was there any doubt that Dempster would leave? I never once lost sleep over it, which makes it frustrating why they blew money on him by not waiting, yet didn't wait for values to drop, like Abreu's for example(not saying he was Hendry's target, I'm just pointing out that money could have been saved).
As for DeRosa, I think Hendry was trying to sell-high for him on a career year, however I think he could have gotten more. The Indians basically got Casey Blake 2.0 for nothing so it gives the facade of salary dump, especially coinciding with Miles.
If we hadn't made that offer, yes, I think he would've left. The Yankees offered more money and the talk was he was seriously interested. He took a bit less to stay with the Cubs, but if we offered him just like 5-7 million a year, he'd have signed elsewhere. How quickly people forget... that deal was a steal at the time. Nobody, and I Mean NOBODY knew the market would be this way. Hendry made keeping Demp his #1 priority and he made sure to get it done, and at a cheap price at the time.
@TheBlogfines
I'm kind of in Clapp's corner here. Dempster's deal looks bad now, but we all supported it at the time. The Cubs <i>should</i> spend money, and at the time, it looked like a decent deal.

And frankly, I'm glad to have the guy in the rotation and in the clubhouse. He's a valuable player.
<!--quoteo(post=25405:date=Mar 27 2009, 03:41 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 27 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25378:date=Mar 27 2009, 12:06 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Mar 27 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25359:date=Mar 27 2009, 07:38 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Mar 27 2009, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just saying, Dempster's deal appears to be way over market value. If Hendry would have waited he could have easliy saved enough on Dempster contract to retain DeRosa.

If we hadn't made that offer, yes, I think he would've left. The Yankees offered more money and the talk was he was seriously interested. He took a bit less to stay with the Cubs, but if we offered him just like 5-7 million a year, he'd have signed elsewhere. How quickly people forget... that deal was a steal at the time. Nobody, and I Mean NOBODY knew the market would be this way. Hendry made keeping Demp his #1 priority and he made sure to get it done, and at a cheap price at the time.

I was actually going to say much the same thing, only I was probably going to be much ruder about it. There was PLENTY of doubt that Dempster would be back. Furthermore, why don't you ask the Phillies if they got the message that everyone's salaries were going down this year, because my guess is that they would probably like to redo the Ibanez deal. I don't think the market trend was obvious to anyone.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.