Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs vs. Pirates 5/27/09
If Gregg wasn't the closer, I'd like him just fine. He gets through innings most of the time and would be a good middle reliever or solid setup man. I had only seen him pitch here or there before this year, but its pretty apparent he has mediocre stuff and shouldn't be closing. I think that's why he gets so much shit.

Guzman and Marmol should be the 8th and 9th inning guys.
<!--quoteo(post=40589:date=May 27 2009, 04:05 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ May 27 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Gregg wasn't the closer, I'd like him just fine. He gets through innings most of the time and would be a good middle reliever or solid setup man. I had only seen him pitch here or there before this year, but its pretty apparent he has mediocre stuff and shouldn't be closing. I think that's why he gets so much shit.

Guzman and Marmol should be the 8th and 9th inning guys.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep. Gregg and Heilman should battle it out for middle relief duties. Add in a decent lefty and I think the pen could be acceptable.
<!--quoteo(post=40589:date=May 27 2009, 03:05 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ May 27 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Gregg wasn't the closer, I'd like him just fine. He gets through innings most of the time and would be a good middle reliever or solid setup man. I had only seen him pitch here or there before this year, but its pretty apparent he has mediocre stuff and shouldn't be closing. I think that's why he gets so much shit.

Guzman and Marmol should be the 8th and 9th inning guys.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
His stuff's been good enough to strike out more hitters than innings pitched. That's not his problem, it's throwing it over the plate consistently. I love what Angel Guzman's doing so far but it's been just 20 innings, and I think it's too early to swap him with a guy that's done it very well at the major league level for 7 years.

Also there's no way Marmol isn't closing if Gregg were to lose the role. It's going to be his job at some point in the future.
@TheBlogfines
And as long as Z is only suspended for a start, that tantrum is one of my faves. Like I said, I would've gotten tossed too. He felt he made a play and so did I. He didn't initiate any contact, just blew up, threw out the umpire, threw his glove, threw the ball, beat up the gatorade machine(just like Dempster did 2 days ago). Funny shit.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=40604:date=May 27 2009, 03:34 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 27 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And as long as Z is only suspended for a start, that tantrum is one of my faves. Like I said, I would've gotten tossed too. He felt he made a play and so did I. He didn't initiate any contact, just blew up, threw out the umpire, threw his glove, threw the ball, beat up the gatorade machine(just like Dempster did 2 days ago). Funny shit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Loved every minute of it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=40604:date=May 27 2009, 04:34 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 27 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And as long as Z is only suspended for a start, that tantrum is one of my faves. Like I said, I would've gotten tossed too. He felt he made a play and so did I. He didn't initiate any contact, just blew up, threw out the umpire, threw his glove, threw the ball, beat up the gatorade machine(just like Dempster did 2 days ago). Funny shit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly, I was taking my dog outside to piss and I missed Z's rampage live. I did see it on the replays, but I still missed him beating the shit out of the cooler with the bat. I fucking cracked up at him "ejecting" the ump. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=40585:date=May 27 2009, 04:01 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 27 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=40582:date=May 27 2009, 03:00 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ May 27 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And Kevin Gregg now hasn't given up a run in 9 of his last 10 appearances. Just sayin'.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep, he gets way too much shit. It's how he's always been. It's never pretty, but he usually gets the job done.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
With a 5.40 ERA and a 1.69 WHIP coming into today's game, I'd say he gets close to the appropriate amount of shit.
<!--quoteo(post=40615:date=May 27 2009, 04:13 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ May 27 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=40585:date=May 27 2009, 04:01 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 27 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=40582:date=May 27 2009, 03:00 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ May 27 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And Kevin Gregg now hasn't given up a run in 9 of his last 10 appearances. Just sayin'.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep, he gets way too much shit. It's how he's always been. It's never pretty, but he usually gets the job done.
With a 5.40 ERA and a 1.69 WHIP coming into today's game, I'd say he gets close to the appropriate amount of shit.
We're not even 2 months into the season. He's been a very good pitcher in this league in all but 1 seasons since 2003.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=40615:date=May 27 2009, 05:13 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ May 27 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=40585:date=May 27 2009, 04:01 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 27 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=40582:date=May 27 2009, 03:00 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ May 27 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And Kevin Gregg now hasn't given up a run in 9 of his last 10 appearances. Just sayin'.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be fair to Gregg, his ERA before the Asstroll fiasco was 3.86. I can't find his WHIP numbers before that meltdown.

He's definitely doesn't do it pretty, but he (usually) gets the job done.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

I hated Gregg the first time he was a Cub.

When he went by Joe Borowski
<!--quoteo(post=40647:date=May 27 2009, 06:42 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ May 27 2009, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hated Gregg the first time he was a Cub.

When he went by Joe Borowski<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And Borowski was great for a couple years with us, including in the 03 playoffs.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=40658:date=May 27 2009, 09:08 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 27 2009, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=40647:date=May 27 2009, 06:42 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ May 27 2009, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hated Gregg the first time he was a Cub.

When he went by Joe Borowski<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And Borowski was great for a couple years with us, including in the 03 playoffs.

He had one very good year as a closer, but I would refer to him more as serviceable.
My biggest problem with Gregg is that he doesn't throw enough strikes to be a closer, and that's why he gets himself into trouble. And most of his better years in the league were as a setup man or in middle relief. Maybe he's better off going back to that sort of role.