Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soto scratched with Oblique injury
<!--quoteo(post=49147:date=Jul 10 2009, 12:26 PM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Jul 10 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't know if it's true, but I often feel that many of these sorts of baseball injuries could be mitigated if the players were more serious about their conditioning. Of course, there is no way to prevent all pulls/strains/etc. but it seems like the training routines may not be appropriately designed or used to meet the specific demands of being a baseball player.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What a pussy. Injuries like this shouldn't take more than a few days to clear up, and after that you deal with any slight discomfort.

I can't stand how weak-sauce MLB players are.
"Last year, I was sort of a kid and I was a little scared, I ain't scared any more."
Quote:- Hank Aaron
The stretching/conditioning programs MLB players use are pretty much a joke.
Stretching has nothing to do with these injuries. Stretching, more than likely, would not have prevented this.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
Let me clarify. What they do before games is fine, the running, jogging, etc. Doing static stretches (holding your toes for 20 sec, etc), has shown in studies to, actually decrease muscle power and strength. It is better to do light jogs/sprints and other dynamic stretches (stretching while moving).
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=49153:date=Jul 10 2009, 12:36 PM:name=BackyardLegend)-->QUOTE (BackyardLegend @ Jul 10 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=49147:date=Jul 10 2009, 12:26 PM:name=dk123)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dk123 @ Jul 10 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't know if it's true, but I often feel that many of these sorts of baseball injuries could be mitigated if the players were more serious about their conditioning. Of course, there is no way to prevent all pulls/strains/etc. but it seems like the training routines may not be appropriately designed or used to meet the specific demands of being a baseball player.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What a pussy. Injuries like this shouldn't take more than a few days to clear up, and after that you deal with any slight discomfort.

I can't stand how weak-sauce MLB players are.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is this post serious? First of all have you ever dealt with an oblique injury? Second do you have any idea on the severity of Soto's? I don't, that is why I am not making asinine comments about it.
[Image: 2hz4sk2.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=49158:date=Jul 10 2009, 12:44 PM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Jul 10 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Stretching has nothing to do with these injuries. Stretching, more than likely, would not have prevented this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe. But I'm speaking in general -- MLB players don't stretch nearly enough. Every time I get to a ballgame early to watch their routines, or watch them warm up in Spring Training, it's a total joke. Maybe they do something more complete and more effective on their own time, or away from the public eye, but from what I've seen and read, they could be doing a whole lot more.
<!--quoteo(post=49162:date=Jul 10 2009, 11:49 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 10 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=49158:date=Jul 10 2009, 12:44 PM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Jul 10 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Stretching has nothing to do with these injuries. Stretching, more than likely, would not have prevented this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe. But I'm speaking in general -- MLB players don't stretch nearly enough. Every time I get to a ballgame early to watch their routines, or watch them warm up in Spring Training, it's a total joke. Maybe they do something more complete and more effective on their own time, or away from the public eye, but from what I've seen and read, they could be doing a whole lot more.
I would almost bet my nut they do things in the tunnel and in the clubhouse, no? I mean, they have to. Getting tape, treatment, etc...
<!--quoteo(post=49162:date=Jul 10 2009, 12:49 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 10 2009, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=49158:date=Jul 10 2009, 12:44 PM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Jul 10 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Stretching has nothing to do with these injuries. Stretching, more than likely, would not have prevented this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The part of the quote you snipped is important. Stretching actively hinders performance. I don't know if you specifically mean stretching or just warming up in general. But they shouldn't be stretching specifically.
Soto and Demp each could be back sooner than expected.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Soto, rehabbing in Mesa, Ariz., from a mild left oblique strain, has improved to the point where the Cubs aren't looking outside the organization for immediate help. Koyie Hill will be back behind the plate on Friday in the second game of the Cubs' four-game series against the Nationals, with Jake Fox as his backup.

"We're exploring other things," assistant general manager Randy Bush said, "but we're also encouraged that Geovany Soto -- we're hopeful -- he's feeling really good the last few days. We're hopeful he's turned the corner and this could be a short-term thing. We don't want to put any time frame on it. We're encouraged where he's at."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The good news is that Dempster could be back in the rotation quicker than expected. He threw off flat ground Thursday, and sounded extremely optimistic about his broken right big toe, a feeling shared by Piniella.

"I don't want to rush anything," Dempster said, "I'll just say everything feels really, really good."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"Talking to Larry [Rothschild, pitching coach], he seemed to think the second [turn in the rotation] after the break is not out of the question," manager Lou Piniella said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sources:
Soto, Dempster may be back before expected

Cubs, Piniella Upbeat About Chances
@TheBlogfines
THE STARS ARE ALIGNING!!!!
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=50342:date=Jul 17 2009, 01:57 AM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 17 2009, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->THE STARS ARE ALIGNING!!!!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except that A-Ram has said that his shoulder is still hurting and it will probably hurt the rest of the year until he is able to rest it in the offseason [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Yeah, he kinda was carrying it weird after the DP he hit into last night.
He's said all along he likely won't be right again this year. We're still a much better team with Aramis at 85% than without him though. I think we're not going to see much power from him but he's still going to drive in runs.
@TheBlogfines