Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Deadline
So...are we really not going to make a deadline deal this year? We could really use some help in a lot of areas. And this could really be the season where the team that makes the best deal takes the division.
My guess is we make some deal for a scrub who won't help.
Unless Hendry is just flying under the radar, I don't see any big moves coming.
I got nothin'.

Andy
Maybe Sherrill or Beimel. Not room for any big acquisitions on offense. Not much money or prospects to work with either. Kenney told us last month not to expect anything more than a small move or two.
@TheBlogfines
That's what sucks. We obviously need something to help the offense, but there isn't anything they can do.
I know Lou would like to see at least one move. He closed the post game interview after the 2nd Phillies game with: "You know what? We might need a couple hitters here at the trading deadline". Now whether Hendry actually does (or can do) anything is another story.
I recognize that our hands are tied. I'm just saying -- of all recent years, this really would've been a great year to make a splashy move at the deadline.
Short of moving a position player out the door, there simply isn't anywhere physically to add a bat (there is no real upgrade available at 2B other than maybe Freddy Sanchez).

It's a lefty bullpen arm or bust.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Supposedly the Cubs have talked to the Pirates about Sanchez.
<!--quoteo(post=51531:date=Jul 23 2009, 06:41 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 23 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Supposedly the Cubs have talked to the Pirates about Sanchez.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That would be wonderful.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
The best thing the cubs can do is stand pat and do their best with what they got. With all the high priced contracts, they are going to have to start relying on low priced rookies in the coming years/ They need to keep as many prospect as they can and try to fill in holes with theyre youth as it develops.

This cubs team has underperformed big time. If they can just start playing close to their potential they can win this division and maybe get on a hot streak in the playoffs.
We are stuck with what we got.
Sign me up for both Sanchez and Beimel. Won't happen though, but I think those moves would help us tremendously.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->But Hendry also said he could "tinker and make the club stronger," although he doesn't discount anything because some surprise deals are always available hours before the July 31 nonwaiver interleague deadline.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Do the Cubs have money to spend? Yes, but only a limited amount, not in the tens of millions added to future payroll (read: Jake Peavy).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->And while the bullpen has been spectacular in July (2.51 ERA), with lefty Sean Marshall has been nearly unhittable, the Cubs still are looking for help there (as is every other team in baseball).

Hendry already picked up released lefty B.J. Ryan and reportedly has inquired about the Nationals' Joe Beimel, maybe even Baltimore closer George Sherrill, although that would come at a cost in young talent.

"Things can always change [in the last week]," Hendry said. "What you might want to do you might not get co-operation [from the other team] to get done.

"Some of the best deals are ones that [crop] up. Maybe some team will have a bad week" and fall out of the race, making them sellers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link
@TheBlogfines
The Jon Voight car is no more.