Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Serious Man
<!--quoteo(post=55741:date=Aug 5 2009, 09:46 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Aug 5 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=55726:date=Aug 5 2009, 08:57 AM:name=Jody)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jody @ Aug 5 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just watched Millers Crossing the other night for the first time and found that to be quite enjoyable.

Also, I think Tommy will absolutely LOVE TBL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've said it on these boards before, but "Miller's Crossing" might be the most underrated movie of all time. I basically watch it every time I catch it on cable. Saying I love that movie is an understatement. And I cannot for the life of me explain why I love it so much. I just do.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe because it's awesome?
I was fucking rolling with tears in my eyes when he smacks his kid and then starts to hug his crying kid and comfort him, "What's the matter did somebody hit you".
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=55743:date=Aug 5 2009, 09:51 AM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Aug 5 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I was fucking rolling with tears in my eyes when he smacks his kid and then starts to hug his crying kid and comfort him, "What's the matter did somebody hit you".<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
"BWAHAHAHAHAHA! A HOT DOG WITH MUSTARD! You hear that, Dane?! My kid is smart as a whip! Give him a penny, boys!"
By the way, (SPOILER BELOW)

The scene in front of the fireplace when the Dane is choking Tom right before he gets a shovel to the face -- one of the most intense scenes in movie history. With the fat, beat up boxer screaming in the background...oh, man...
I hope its better than Burn After Reading...that movie was huge disappointment.
Ok, so I watched this last night. I'm still torn on it because there was a lot to digest, and it ends abruptly. I thought the acting and dialogue were excellent, but the story could have used some work. I won't give away any spoilers, but it's safe to say that this movie presents more problems than it provides answers. That ultimately was the intent of the story, to make you examine your life, your regrets and focus on the bigger picture, and then take a hard look at that as well. Life as a paradox.

I get the sense that this movie was a passion project for the Coens, and that a lot of their childhood upbringing and personality quirks are revealed here. At the same time, this is why it is such a difficult film to evaluate. Life isn't a cut and paste hollywood script, so why try to present it in that way? One of the most fascinating things about this film is the religious undercurrent, but keep in mind that you don't need to be Jewish or have gone to Hebrew school to appreciate it. I think anyone who has been instilled with any sort of strict religion in their life can relate. In stark contrast to faith and the unknown, mathematics and absolutes also play a major part in the story, and you get the sense that the main character Larry and his brother Arthur have always carried around a healthy amount of doubt throughout their lives, being physicists/mathematicians, yet this is just now coming to the surface in a frightening (but still manages to be funny) way for these men. Nothing makes sense anymore. Anyway, I'll stop rambling because it is better to go into this with an open mind. My opinion of this film will probably evolve over time, and I may need to watch it again in the near future. There is just a ton here to think about.

3.5/5 stars.
I enjoyed it. I thought it was much better than Burn After Reading. Very Coen bros...good stuff.
Fuck this movie.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy