Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Swan
<!--quoteo(post=122096:date=Dec 7 2010, 09:40 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 7 2010, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Natalie Portman definitely deserves Oscar consideration. I still think the lead from Winter's Bone should probably take home the Best Actress Oscar, but Portman should get a nomination. She clearly poured everything she had into the role. I like the movie a lot, but it didn't have quite the same visceral impact that Requiem had. That's not necessarily a criticism because very few movies have the same visceral impact of Requiem...

It was actually very similar in a lot of ways to The Wrestler, thematically. But Natalie Portman is a lot more fun to look at for 2 hours than Mickey Rourke.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My taint is more fun to look at that Micky Rourke.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=122098:date=Dec 7 2010, 09:42 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=122096:date=Dec 7 2010, 09:40 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 7 2010, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Natalie Portman definitely deserves Oscar consideration. I still think the lead from Winter's Bone should probably take home the Best Actress Oscar, but Portman should get a nomination. She clearly poured everything she had into the role. I like the movie a lot, but it didn't have quite the same visceral impact that Requiem had. That's not necessarily a criticism because very few movies have the same visceral impact of Requiem...

It was actually very similar in a lot of ways to The Wrestler, thematically. But Natalie Portman is a lot more fun to look at for 2 hours than Mickey Rourke.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My taint is more fun to look at that Micky Rourke.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
I haven't seen Veryzer's taint...but based on a cost benefit analysis I'd tend to agree. Mickey Rourke is pretty gross.
<!--quoteo(post=122096:date=Dec 7 2010, 09:40 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 7 2010, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Natalie Portman definitely deserves Oscar consideration. I still think the lead from Winter's Bone should probably take home the Best Actress Oscar, but Portman should get a nomination. She clearly poured everything she had into the role. I like the movie a lot, but it didn't have quite the same visceral impact that Requiem had. That's not necessarily a criticism because very few movies have the same visceral impact of Requiem...

I didn't want to give away any spoilers, but the final scenes of both Wrestler and Swan had the same type of build-up and resolution, though I preferred Swan's ending by a smidge.

My only complaint about Portman's performance was that she constantly seemed to be on the verge of tears from beginning to end. The unrelenting dramatic score only made it more amusing to me. At a certain point in the film, I couldn't help but laugh out loud, it was so overwhelming. Still, I enjoyed the hell out of this.

I've totally forgot that I could come here to discuss movies. Black Swan was a great film. Great performances all around. Lots of great visuals and just a fantastic dramatic journey.

I also can't believe you saw Winter's Bone Butch. I thought I was the only one in the world who saw it. That was a damn great performance and I will surely root for her during oscar time. Portman trained 9 months doing ballet. She looked as if she had done it all her life. Amazing.

Also, Love Aronofsky except for the muddled Fountain. But I do believe the late change in cast fucked with that movie.
Going to see the late showing of this. I'm psyched to see it.
Saw this last night...loved it. Portman was fantastic, and while I haven't seen a lot of the other big time movies, I think Aronofsky should get serious consideration for best director.

And the sex scene was fantastic.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=123847:date=Dec 18 2010, 05:10 AM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 18 2010, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Saw this last night...loved it. Portman was fantastic, and while I haven't seen a lot of the other big time movies, I think Aronofsky should get serious consideration for best director.

And the sex scene was fantastic.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed. Easily Aronofsky's best. The camera work was fantastic and for the first time I loved Natalie Portman in a role. I always like her, but she set a very high bar in this one.

I went to the late showing and unfortunately there were apparently still a bunch of 17 year olds in the crowd....during all the masturbation scenes there was a collective loud snickering going on. Grown up.
<!--quoteo(post=123857:date=Dec 18 2010, 10:32 AM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Dec 18 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=123847:date=Dec 18 2010, 05:10 AM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 18 2010, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Saw this last night...loved it. Portman was fantastic, and while I haven't seen a lot of the other big time movies, I think Aronofsky should get serious consideration for best director.

And the sex scene was fantastic.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed. Easily Aronofsky's best. The camera work was fantastic and for the first time I loved Natalie Portman in a role. I always like her, but she set a very high bar in this one.

I went to the late showing and unfortunately there were apparently still a bunch of 17 year olds in the crowd....during all the masturbation scenes there was a collective loud snickering going on. Grown up.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The one scene where she discovered her mom was also in the room was awesome, in a classic horror kind of way.

And you didn't care for Portman in Garden State? I love that movie.
Like I said I've always liked her, I think she's a solid actress but this was definitely her coup de grace.
Easily the best movie of the year for me. 4.5/5 stars.

I can't find much to complain about without nitpicking. It borrowed elements from so many different movies...it was like The Wrestler on speed spliced with Fight Club, and I've heard Polanski comparisons which aren't far off. As close to a stylistically perfect movie in terms of my taste as I've seen in a while.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
I saw this today and it was very affecting, I guess would be the word, if that fits. Definitely more so for performance artists and artists in general, but I think it extends beyond even that. Towards the end, as it was hitting me exactly what was being said, I thought it was very clever to say something so simply, yet make it seem so dramatic and enigmatic just by the way it was shot and the preconceived notions you go into a movie like this with. If that makes any sense to anyone. It did such a good job of being artistic without a hint of pretension when it could have easily gotten mired down in gimmicks and gone the other way. 4 out of 5 for me.
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
I saw this a couple nights ago. Very visceral, the acting was awesome, but not my cup of tea. I should have watched "The Fighter" instead.