Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 FA outfielders
So, basically, the signing of Soriano fucked us in a number of ways. We have to have a RFer since Alfie can't even play LF adequately. That limits our options significantly when it comes to signing or trading for a player. In other words, all of our problems can be blamed on Soriano.
<!--quoteo(post=63841:date=Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, basically, the signing of Soriano fucked us in a number of ways. We have to have a RFer since Alfie can't even play LF adequately. That limits our options significantly when it comes to signing or trading for a player. In other words, all of our problems can be blamed on Soriano.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
All 3 OF signings we've made in the past 3 years were awful deals. I don't blame it all on Alf. He was just the first in a long line of piss-poor decisions made by Hendry, which are eating into 1/3 of our team's payroll right now and for the next few seasons.

Hendry needs to go now as well.
<!--quoteo(post=63852:date=Sep 21 2009, 10:10 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Sep 21 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63841:date=Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, basically, the signing of Soriano fucked us in a number of ways. We have to have a RFer since Alfie can't even play LF adequately. That limits our options significantly when it comes to signing or trading for a player. In other words, all of our problems can be blamed on Soriano.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
All 3 OF signings we've made in the past 3 years were awful deals. I don't blame it all on Alf. He was just the first in a long line of piss-poor decisions made by Hendry, which are eating into 1/3 of our team's payroll right now and for the next few seasons.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

BTW, my line about all of our troubles being blamed on Soriano was sarcasm. I really believe that JH is the one responsible for our roster inflexibility.
<!--quoteo(post=63853:date=Sep 21 2009, 09:12 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 21 2009, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63852:date=Sep 21 2009, 10:10 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 21 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63841:date=Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, basically, the signing of Soriano fucked us in a number of ways. We have to have a RFer since Alfie can't even play LF adequately. That limits our options significantly when it comes to signing or trading for a player. In other words, all of our problems can be blamed on Soriano.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

BTW, my line about all of our troubles being blamed on Soriano was sarcasm. I really believe that JH is the one responsible for our roster inflexibility.
I kind of figured, but I just think that too many in the media are focusing on Bradley right now, when it seems to me that Hendry should be falling on his sword right now for throwing good money away and handcuffing the team for years. If anything, he's trying to pass the buck and deflect blame away from himself and onto Bradley. They both need to hit the road, but Hendry needs to be the first to go.
<!--quoteo(post=63855:date=Sep 21 2009, 09:23 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Sep 21 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63853:date=Sep 21 2009, 09:12 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 21 2009, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63852:date=Sep 21 2009, 10:10 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 21 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63841:date=Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, basically, the signing of Soriano fucked us in a number of ways. We have to have a RFer since Alfie can't even play LF adequately. That limits our options significantly when it comes to signing or trading for a player. In other words, all of our problems can be blamed on Soriano.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I kind of figured, but I just think that too many in the media are focusing on Bradley right now, when it seems to me that Hendry should be falling on his sword right now for throwing good money away and handcuffing the team for years. If anything, he's trying to pass the buck and deflect blame away from himself and onto Bradley. They both need to hit the road, but Hendry needs to be the first to go.

So you think the Bradley-Miles-Gregg triumvirate isn't working out so great?
<!--quoteo(post=63864:date=Sep 21 2009, 09:53 AM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Sep 21 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63855:date=Sep 21 2009, 09:23 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 21 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63853:date=Sep 21 2009, 09:12 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 21 2009, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63852:date=Sep 21 2009, 10:10 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 21 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63841:date=Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 21 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, basically, the signing of Soriano fucked us in a number of ways. We have to have a RFer since Alfie can't even play LF adequately. That limits our options significantly when it comes to signing or trading for a player. In other words, all of our problems can be blamed on Soriano.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you think the Bradley-Miles-Gregg triumvirate isn't working out so great?
Miles is being underutilized. Imagine the quality comedy relief he would provide by being in the lineup on a daily basis. I want my money's worth.
here's something i don't get. why can't soriano or fox or whoever play rightfield? what difference does it make if they suck in right or left? why is it more important to have a better fielding rightfielder? to me, the only difference between the two is that in right, you need stronger arm, for that handful of times a year when there's a play at third.

in other words, why is it ok to have crappy fielders in left, but not in right? i would think more balls would be hit to left anyway, due to the majority of hitters being righthanded.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=63914:date=Sep 21 2009, 03:56 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 21 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->here's something i don't get. why can't soriano or fox or whoever play rightfield? what difference does it make if they suck in right or left? why is it more important to have a better fielding rightfielder? to me, the only difference between the two is that in right, you need stronger arm, for that handful of times a year when there's a play at third.

in other words, why is it ok to have crappy fielders in left, but not in right? i would think more balls would be hit to left anyway, due to the majority of hitters being righthanded.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For one thing, right field at Wrigley is extremely hard to play defensively. This is due to the wall, and the sun on afternoon games which the Cubs obviously have a large amount of compared to other teams.

Also, I think you're undervaluing the third base thing. The fielder has to put himself in a good position when fielding a ball down the line so that doubles don't turn into triples. While this is somewhat of a problem in left field, it's not nearly as bad as right field. If we have Jake Fox in right field, he takes a lot more time than Kosuke would to get to a ball hit down the line. That difference in time (not even counting the strength/accuracy of throwing arms) could be the difference between a double and a triple.

Preventing a player advancing from first to third on a single is very important too. It creates a forceout at third, it prevents a sac fly opportunity. There's lots of ways it helps.

Of course the throwing arm also comes in handy to home for obvious reasons. Again, if you have a quick, smart fielder that doesn't have a great arm, he can still prevent a player from scoring from second on a single by simply getting himself in a good position make a strong and accurate throw home.

Basically, I tend to believe that a good fielder can do a lot of little things to prevent a lot of individual situations that could otherwise lead to runs here and there, and that adds up over the course of a season.

Also, the fact that we have a good-not-great centerfielder and an awful left fielder means we really should get as good a defensive right fielder as we can.
<!--quoteo(post=63921:date=Sep 21 2009, 04:29 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Sep 21 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63914:date=Sep 21 2009, 03:56 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 21 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->here's something i don't get. why can't soriano or fox or whoever play rightfield? what difference does it make if they suck in right or left? why is it more important to have a better fielding rightfielder? to me, the only difference between the two is that in right, you need stronger arm, for that handful of times a year when there's a play at third.

in other words, why is it ok to have crappy fielders in left, but not in right? i would think more balls would be hit to left anyway, due to the majority of hitters being righthanded.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For one thing, right field at Wrigley is extremely hard to play defensively. This is due to the wall, and the sun on afternoon games which the Cubs obviously have a large amount of compared to other teams.

Also, I think you're undervaluing the third base thing. The fielder has to put himself in a good position when fielding a ball down the line so that doubles don't turn into triples. While this is somewhat of a problem in left field, it's not nearly as bad as right field. If we have Jake Fox in right field, he takes a lot more time than Kosuke would to get to a ball hit down the line. That difference in time (not even counting the strength/accuracy of throwing arms) could be the difference between a double and a triple.

Preventing a player advancing from first to third on a single is very important too. It creates a forceout at third, it prevents a sac fly opportunity. There's lots of ways it helps.

Of course the throwing arm also comes in handy to home for obvious reasons. Again, if you have a quick, smart fielder that doesn't have a great arm, he can still prevent a player from scoring from second on a single by simply getting himself in a good position make a strong and accurate throw home.

Basically, I tend to believe that a good fielder can do a lot of little things to prevent a lot of individual situations that could otherwise lead to runs here and there, and that adds up over the course of a season.

Also, the fact that we have a good-not-great centerfielder and an awful left fielder means we really should get as good a defensive right fielder as we can.

eh, i just don't see that many first to third throws. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, just not as much as you think. to me, if a player can hit, you'll find a place for him, be it in right or left or whatever.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=63923:date=Sep 21 2009, 04:36 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 21 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->eh, i just don't see that many first to third throws. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, just not as much as you think. to me, if a player can hit, you'll find a place for him, be it in right or left or whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We may get to see your philosphy put into practice next year. Right now it's looking like Fox for RF.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->eh, i just don't see that many first to third throws. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, just not as much as you think. to me, if a player can hit, you'll find a place for him, be it in right or left or whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not just first to third throws. It's essentially EVERY hit to right field, the right fielder is at a huge disadvantage to the left fielder. A mishandled grounder becomes a triple. A misplayed flyball becomes a triple. Any hit with men on base, the RF has to throw to the farthest base away. The left fielder is always throwing either to second or third, which is the closest base to them. Just as a second baseman can play a ball off his chest, and still have time to throw a guy out at first, whereas a shortstop can't, any mistake by a RF has a much bigger chance of hurting you, as the runner can get to third much more easily.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=63982:date=Sep 22 2009, 08:40 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Sep 22 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->eh, i just don't see that many first to third throws. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, just not as much as you think. to me, if a player can hit, you'll find a place for him, be it in right or left or whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not just first to third throws. It's essentially EVERY hit to right field, the right fielder is at a huge disadvantage to the left fielder. A mishandled grounder becomes a triple. A misplayed flyball becomes a triple. Any hit with men on base, the RF has to throw to the farthest base away. The left fielder is always throwing either to second or third, which is the closest base to them. Just as a second baseman can play a ball off his chest, and still have time to throw a guy out at first, whereas a shortstop can't, any mistake by a RF has a much bigger chance of hurting you, as the runner can get to third much more easily.

yeah, i get all that. i just think if a guy can hit, you take your chances. and second base is as close to right as it is to left, so it really comes back to the third base thing.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=63993:date=Sep 22 2009, 09:33 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 22 2009, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63982:date=Sep 22 2009, 08:40 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Sep 22 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->eh, i just don't see that many first to third throws. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, just not as much as you think. to me, if a player can hit, you'll find a place for him, be it in right or left or whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, i get all that. i just think if a guy can hit, you take your chances. and second base is as close to right as it is to left, so it really comes back to the third base thing.

Your right fielder has more responsibility for limiting the number of bases on balls hit out of the infield than anyone. If he's got no range, can't play his corner or has a shitty arm you're going to turn a buttload of singles into extra base hits.

I don't think the importance of this CAN be overstated. A lousy RF puts runners in scoring position.
This sentence didn't make sense to me for a few minutes because I read it like this.

<!--quoteo(post=64008:date=Sep 22 2009, 10:46 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Sep 22 2009, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Your right fielder has more responsibility for limiting the number of bases on balls hit out of the infield than anyone.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=64012:date=Sep 22 2009, 11:28 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Sep 22 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This sentence didn't make sense to me for a few minutes because I read it like this.

<!--quoteo(post=64008:date=Sep 22 2009, 10:46 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Sep 22 2009, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Your right fielder has more responsibility for limiting the number of bases on balls hit out of the infield than anyone.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, I can see where an ellipse would have been helpful.