Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Up in the Air
Pretty good movie. Clooney turned in a solid performance. Worth a look.
Due to limited funds, I have to choose between this and <b>Book of Eli</b>. My decision is still up in the air.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=73276:date=Dec 29 2009, 02:55 PM:name=biggz)-->QUOTE (biggz @ Dec 29 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Due to limited funds, I have to choose between this and <b>Book of Eli</b>. My decision is still up in the air.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
weak
<!--quoteo(post=73292:date=Dec 29 2009, 02:27 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 29 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73276:date=Dec 29 2009, 02:55 PM:name=biggz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggz @ Dec 29 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Due to limited funds, I have to choose between this and <b>Book of Eli</b>. My decision is still up in the air.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
weak
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What can I say? I <3 Gary Oldman.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Watched this the other night. I liked it overall and Clooney was indeed great for the part. I was getting a little pissed toward the 1hr mark of the film expecting it to turn into a sappy love story, but then Reitman pulled the rug out from under me. I was really surprised at how depressed this movie made me feel at the very end. Honestly, it bothered me quite a bit and gave me a lot to think about. 4/5 stars.
Just watched it last night. Clooney was solid as always...thought the movie was good not great. Not sure why Kendrick got a nomination...her performance was nothing spectacular. She wasn't bad by any means, but the character just didn't have any meat to it so it was beyond her control. Worth watching though.
<!--quoteo(post=82372:date=Mar 11 2010, 03:40 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Mar 11 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just watched it last night. Clooney was solid as always...thought the movie was good not great. Not sure why Kendrick got a nomination...her performance was nothing spectacular. She wasn't bad by any means, but the character just didn't have any meat to it so it was beyond her control. Worth watching though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed, she annoyed me through most of the film, but it was mostly her character and not her that I had a problem with. Even Farmiga was nothing special IMO. Not sure how the academy doles out nominations these days.
Watched this tonight and really ended up enjoying it. I was kind of bored with it for the first half hour or so but once the three main characters met I thought it really was great from there. Like Rok, my first thought after the end came was that it was kind of depressing, but thinking more about it I think seeing Clooney's character's grow from where he started the movie was kind of a silver lining and I really kind of liked the fact that it wasn't your typical Hollywood ending. Good little movie.
I thought it was really well done. Not Oscar-winner well-done, but very professional, austere, and yet entertaining. The music was especially interesting/offbeat. And Clooney is really turning into one of our more solid actors.

I wasn't as depressed as everyone else seems to be by it, because that's how people behave in reality. And I <i>enjoyed</i> the fact that it wasn't a Hollywood-type ending.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
It was ok. I thought it was a little too boring and predictable, but worth watching.
Wife and I just watch - just a fantastic, fantastic movie. Best I've seen in a long time, actually. Very believable, relatable. Touching.

And then so freaking depressing. I don't think I can recall the last time I found the end of a movie so depressing.

But that was how it should have ended, and I appreciated that the maker didn't cop out.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.