Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sherlock Holmes
Pros: Great storyline and intriguing plot. I thought the movie was very well written with a blend of action and CSI 1800's London. Casting a non-limey for one of Englands greatest ever heroes was potentially a bad move and caused an uproar in said country. However Downey Jnr is brilliantly cast in this, as this version of Holmes is a scoundrel and a rogue. A drinker, gambler yet refined, educated and ahead of his time in his ways. He pulls it off superbly. Jude Law is also brilliant as Watson and gives an extremely strong performace.

Cons: I found myself unconfortable and clock watching at the end. It goes for 2 and a half hours. If they edited out 20-30 minutes, I would have given the movie another star. I also found Rachel McAdams character and performance very weak. Its a shame as she is always hot.

Not your typical Guy Richie film, but a great pop corn flick. They left it off for a sequel and looking forward to catching it.

3 and a half stars out of five.
If you like Guy Ritchie style movies and enjoy Conan Doyle's Holmes stories check it out. I thought he did a fabulous job.
I really liked it too. This isn't the first time Downy has played an Englishman. He did an outstanding job in Chaplin which I believe he was nominated for an Oscar.
<!--quoteo(post=73888:date=Jan 3 2010, 09:41 AM:name=dvdastud)-->QUOTE (dvdastud @ Jan 3 2010, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really liked it too. This isn't the first time Downy has played an Englishman. He did an outstanding job in Chaplin which I believe he was nominated for an Oscar.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He lost to Pacino's excreble performance in "Scent Of A Woman," which shows you what an Oscar is worth, as a measure of excellence.
<!--quoteo(post=73891:date=Jan 3 2010, 11:33 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 3 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73888:date=Jan 3 2010, 09:41 AM:name=dvdastud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dvdastud @ Jan 3 2010, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really liked it too. This isn't the first time Downy has played an Englishman. He did an outstanding job in Chaplin which I believe he was nominated for an Oscar.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He lost to Pacino's excreble performance in "Scent Of A Woman," which shows you what an Oscar is worth, as a measure of excellence.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought he was good in Scent of a Woman.
<!--quoteo(post=73898:date=Jan 3 2010, 03:02 PM:name=dvdastud)-->QUOTE (dvdastud @ Jan 3 2010, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73891:date=Jan 3 2010, 11:33 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 3 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73888:date=Jan 3 2010, 09:41 AM:name=dvdastud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dvdastud @ Jan 3 2010, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really liked it too. This isn't the first time Downy has played an Englishman. He did an outstanding job in Chaplin which I believe he was nominated for an Oscar.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought he was good in Scent of a Woman.

k